What games are you playing now?

Just finished having a little LAN session with my brother on his new msi gaming laptop, our first for over a year. It was really refreshing and lots of fun.

We've managed to make our way through a plethora of action rpgs over the years and so our choice wasn't much of a surprise; Torchlight 2. He chose an Outlander, whilst I went for the Embermage. After a solid night's gaming, we managed to make it to the end of Act III, each at around level 38.

I'm really enjoying the mechanics and the character building (which keeps you guessing) and will probably try a single player playthrough at some point.

I can burn out easily with this genre, but it's amazing when you haven't played one for awhile how accessibly easy they often are to get into and just play.

Busted out Re-Volt, awesome rc car driving game w/ fireworks and stuff as weapons. Not usually into driving games, but this one just flat out rocks. I love it.

Also, getting ready to launch into Artemis, a virtual spaceship bridge, demo version. Getting a full 6-man crew together for the ultimate Star Trek command experience!

Ahhh, Re-Volt! We used to play it to warm up before our weekly DoD-Training sessions ... 1000 years ago :). Great game. Nice tracks. Loved the museum one with the dinosaur.

Finished my replay of Max Payne 2, and now I'm about to start Max Payne 3.

I have to say though, I think it's complete bullshit that I have to register with the Rockstar Social Club and be logged-in to play MP3 in single-player mode. I've lost a lot of respect for Rockstar Games because of this.

I got back to War in the North - inspired by that other thread. It still had some minor stuttering, but I got rid of it entirely by forcing VSYNC off in Nvidia control panel. I also forced Anisotropic filtering to ON - and it made the game quite a bit prettier. Also, for some reason - you have to turn the gamma way down low to get the proper brightness.

But the game is evolving more or less like predicted, but I have to say I'm surprised by how much effort went into some of the areas. It's really quite a pleasant action RPG romp - though it remains extremely derivative. But I like it - and I think I'll actually finish it.

Also, my group and I are pretty much done with SWTOR it seems. We've completed most of the 4 man content on both normal and hard. Only Operations left - but we're probably not going to muster 8 guys, and I'm not sure the game has much meat on it left. I could level more characters and the stories remain interesting - but the leveling padding is too samey across the board.

I've recently gotten back to The Secret World - and I hope I can get the others to join me, now that it's B2P. I never got much beyond the first 3 areas - and the atmosphere remains fantastic. I really, really like the story as well - and there's a LOT of content for a very modest entry fee.

Managed to bring my backlog down to two by popping The Force Unleashed into my XBox. After sonny urged me to watch the SWTOR intros on Youtube that sent me down memory lane, I remembered that hubby had given me TFU waaaaay back.

Sheesh. Played for perhaps an hour … but … this game is all about senseless violence!!! I have no idea what my mission objective was (most probably 'kill anything that moves'), but it was sure fun to grab folks with my Force grip and search for innovative ways to 'use' them, like, moving them in the way of speeding TIE fighters or push their squadmates off ledges. When the last guy in my grip actually got hold of a crate and clung to it as if his life depended on it (well, it actually did) while I tried to lift him off the ground, I laughed so loud hubby asked me what was going on.
Soldier of Fortune 2 was way gorier, but not nearly as cruel.

Jaz said:
Managed to bring my backlog down to two

I dream that one day I will have a backlog which only consists of two games. Both TFU games are sitting in my Steam directory, part of the huge game queue.

Just finished my Prince of Persia run, the Forgotten Sands was much better IMHO than the reviews. Sure the combat was dumber and much easier than the Sands of Time trilogy, but the platforming was excellent.

Onto Hunted: the Demon's Forge. Expectations are not high but we will see.

Spellforce the Golden Fool

I have just paused my Borderlands 1+2 marathon (after finishing the Hammerlock DLC) in order to play the "Golden Fool" Szenario in Spellforce FiD.

Playing Drakkar again brought back good memories, as the Flink McWinter scenario did earlier....

Recommended for every Spellforce enthusiast...

Back to Borderlands 2: Am I the only one who has much more fun with this than with Torchlight II (not to speak of Diablo 3)?

I finished Jedi Knight II and went straight into Jedi Academy ... so far my opinion remains as it did a decade ago - better in every way except for the characters and plot ...

Im in full-on Trek mode right now. Playing 2 trek games in preparation for my role of Captain Sammy T Kirk on the bridge playing the space bridge simulator Artemis next weekend. I've been barking orders at my phantom crew all day long.

I cant wait!

So I've been playing a good Xbox 360 Trek game called Star Trek: Legacy. Really turnng out to be a fun game. Basically, youre not only the captain of your own ship, but one of a small fleet of ships. You run missions defending space stations, explore space, accompanied by the AI ships in your fleet. Warp drive, scanning, teleporting crews, all that fun shit - unfortunately there's no bridge. Youre simply driving - attacking things, exploring, etc. The good thing being that as the game goes on, you earn credits and can buy better ships. Want a faster, lighter glass cannon or a slow lumbering tank of a ship? Save up for that Poseidon class destroyer youve always wanted. That's where the next slice of cool comes in - the game spans several eras of Trek lore. At first, you play as Capt Archer for the first 1/3rd of the game, then you assume the role of Capt Kirk. Then, finally for the final third of the game you take the helm as the venerable Capt Jean-luc Picard. I cant wait for that.

I was trying to scrimp by with less ships so I can spend my credits later on for better ships, but i was getting pummeled too bad by the later missions. I can always sell the ships in my fleet I dont want. So I went and bought that huge battleship w/ 2 phaser banks and torpedoes out the wazoo for heavy support, it's awesome to see that thing letting loose in the middle of a huge battle.

Also, I've gotten the demo for Artemis and been playing that. It's literally 30k. I dont even see why I'm messing around w/ the demo at this point, i just need to buy the damn thing already for 40$.

The demo gives you control of the helm and weapons stations only, and that itself is enough to keep the avid learner more than busy at first. This is the quintessential space bridge simulator, so there's a lot going on. Setup is a snap, you fire up the game and designate one pc as the server, and that is essentially the ship. Then you simply start the game on another pc or laptop as a client, put in the IP of the ship, and pick your station. Then you fumble around w/ the controls for a while and get shot at and warp way past your objectives!

I love things like the ship status screen, which brings up a 3d profile of the ship w/ red indicators of the damaged areas. Long-range screens which shows all the sectors, stations. Tactical map controls. Such geeky goodness.

Mostly getting my ass kicked at it right now (which is expected), I need to get into the community and start reading up on gameplay and watching videos.

Last edited:
Hmmm ... I need to go back and replay the Star Trek Elite Force games ...

Currently playing Crimson Shroud on my 3DS. It's a fun little game by Level 5. Fun little mix between jrpg and rolling dice =)

I dared to fire up SWTOR. Whew, I actually survived trying to play my first MMORPG! Should you ever visit the V-Chain server, meet Republic Trooper Shawke: accidental shooter of Gapillian Grazers, current alignment: lawful polite, unable to say 'nay' to damsels in distress ...

Attachments

• shawke.jpg
    shawke.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 50
Hmmm … I need to go back and replay the Star Trek Elite Force games …

I thought Elite Force II was one of the best games made with the Quake III engine. It would be nice to see those released on GOG.

I'm currently playing The Walking Dead, and I just finished the first episode. I've never been a big fan of the adventure genre, but I'm quite enjoying this. On to Ep 2...

Still playing Divinity II / Dragon Knight Saga, which I enjoy. I am in the dragon part now, and I don't quite understand why people reacted so negatively to it - you still do quite a lot of on foot exploration und dungeoneering, and I enjoy not having to walk around quite as much anymore. And while not perfectly implemented, being a dragon is still cool :) . Only real downer for me so far are the invisible walls, especially in the fjords.
That said, the combat in this game is the most ridiculously over the top I have ever played (and generally too easy). Still enjoying it as a change of pace after many more serious games I played before this more lighthearted game.

Also got hooked (again) to Puzzle Quest on my iPhone. Finally decided to get chapter three, so this time I'm gonna finish that sucker.

Back
Top Bottom