Gamasutra - Video Games Not A Factor in VA Tech Tragedy

magerette

Hedgewitch
Gamasutra provides more evidence against the well-worn argument that video games induce violent behaviour in this article discussing the final report of the Virginia governor's investigatory panel on the shootings on campus earlier this year:
Moreover, contrary to accusations made at the time of the tragedy by industry critics like Jack Thompson and TV's Dr. Phil, the report states in Chapter IV, which focuses on Cho's mental health history, that while he enjoyed some video games -- Sonic the Hedgehog is mentioned -- "Cho's roommate never saw him play video games." The report continues on the roommate's observations..
More information.

Curt Schilling also plays video games and I suck at sports.

Another reminder that the 'quick blame' method seldom makes a positive difference.

It's an old argument for sure, and it still stands, do you censor everything because some people are insane, the answer is still no.

Well, if Cho had played shooters, they almost certainly would have been bad for him. There was probably a long list of things he couldn't handle, including attending a university. Cho was evil and very confused.

Maybe if he'd played shooters he wouldn't have had to do it in real life.

Well, yeah, perhaps gaming would not have been the answer for the guy. I was kind of thinking along the principles that I follow--when mad at fellow human beings or upset or depressed, left-click and kill Undead for a bit; failing that, in extreme moments, I've found alcohol to be of use--break some crockery,scare the neighbors with a little howling and screaming, no harm done and it's all over.

Obviously this doesn't work for everybody though, unfortunately. This is the kind of incident that defies empathy--it's an alien thought process to me. You have to be obsessing so much over your own problems that other people no longer matter except as a focus of hate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom