Gothic 2 - Gold Review @ Plain Games

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A Christian-centred gaming site called Plain Games has kicked up a review of Gothic II: Gold with a score of 3.5/5:
The game is extremely non-linear, with seemingly endless paths to explore. The mages are scheming and invite you to join their order. A violent tension is building between the paladins in town and the rebellious farmers on the outskirts of the region and both factions try to recruit you to their side. To progress in the main plot, the hero must become a proper citizen of the town, which includes obtaining a job. There are several jobs to choose from, everything from thievery to blacksmithing to herb gathering. Another option is to join the town militia, with the possible future of becoming a paladin.
More information.

this is a good review with an out of the box way of looking at things. these sort of reviews are helpful for parents around this time of year in buying appropriate presents.

This site also reviews a few other RPGs such as Oblivion and Guild Wars

Thaurin, why do you call Christian reviews 'silly'? Personally, I find the comment offensive!!

Me too. The review may be a bit innacurate, but it's done to answer a specific need and to serve a specific audience. If it offends you pluck out your eyes -- just dont read it.

What is truely offensive is this site's game agenda. Now we'll have Christian parents currupting their kids with Oblivion instead of good games. Not one TB game on that site. Do Christian parents only want to have hot-action graphic-whore children? No. I demand this site review good games or risk excommunication. Jesus wasn't superficial. He wasn't known for his good looks and fancy clothes. What happened to inner beauty? I can't help but wonder if this "Christian Gaming" site isn't a front for Satan and his graphic-whore action agenda that is going to set our youth on the wrong path, up to and including damnation or fines as great as 200 years in purgatory.

If playing Oblivion helps a sinner secure a place in purgatory, then you bet I'll keep playing it.

Hey sorry they got rid of Purgatory, though I hope we can dispense with the christan custom of executng the messenger. ;)

I think that was a Catholic custom, not a Christian one!! :)

Ahh maybe I was confused. :)

Btw way its good to see a religous site Not saying, you will go to hell for playing Gothic 2 Gold. ;)

Edited out the joke I was making in case it might offend someone. :)

Last edited:
My favourite part of the review:

"Most NPC’s, when slain, stand up again a few minutes later, although they make it clear that they hate you for killing them. "

There is another site - Christ Centered Reviews, I think - that pretty much took Oblivion apart because of the amorality and various content.

This site also called the brother scene graphic and deserving of an R- movie rating (17+). I called it tasteful and think that it is more tame than much of what is shown on prime time TV in the US.

Well, can you blame them!! :)

In a way, yes. I mean, I'm a Christian (Catholic, actually) and have taught CCD (Sunday School) since my kids have been involved, so I do have that same viewpoint. But as a gamerdad, I don't think that video games are inherently evil - no more so than other media. So if they think that scene merited a R rating, fine - I just happen to disagree. My 8 and 10 year old aren't playing anytime soon, but neither would I make them wait until they're over 17.

You should make your kids play the RoA series because they are God's favorite.

Mark 14:12

And God spocketh to Jesus, Realms of Arkania is the best crpg series created. Do not listen to the snake, he will try to fill your head with lies about graphics and action game play. So sayeth the Lord. Amen.

So it looks like Corwin will have to switch favorite games since the Lord said it and that settles it.

Always interesting to read something that is not only focused on "what is pwnage and what is not". Frankly I'm getting tired of reading similar reviews over and over, so someone being a bit original is refreshing.

Mike, my comment was related to the post above yours, you just got yours in while I was still typing!! I'm an ordained minister and I don't think games are evil either, though many of my colleagues do!! I had my kids sitting on my lap 'helping' me play Ultima games from a very early age!! :)

I think many games are evil ... but because of quality not content ;)

Back
Top Bottom