Diablo 3 - Unofficial Countdown to ???

magerette

Hedgewitch
Bluesnews has posted a short heads-up concerning the appearence of "mysterious countdown timers" at Diablo 3 fansites Diablo3.com and Blizzplanet Here's the Blues quote:
Diablo3.com and related site Blizzplanet are offering mysterious countdown timers that currently stand at 13 days and counting. It is important to note that neither site is owned or operated by Blizzard, but of course they do have some contacts there, so it seems reasonable to trust that this is somewhat significant. They're keeping things close to the vest for now, as the countdown is accompanied by this blurb: "The number of days until half the web links to Diablo3.com. But why???" Presumably we'll know the answer on May 1.
More information.

The servers will crumble under the amount of people trying to access the site,
leaving behind nothing but dust. ;)

Ha, a Diablo MMORPG would be among the possibilities, since Blizzard were hiring for a "next-gen" MMORPG a while ago. ;)

I still can't fathom how they'd do that with their own WoW still going strong and in direct competition, so I wouldn't worry.

I still can't fathom how they'd do that with their own WoW still going strong and in direct competition, so I wouldn't worry.

The answer is ridiculously simple: It's a different theme.

World of WarCraft bases on WarCraft.

A world of StarCraft would base on StarCraft ... and that reminds me of a recent newsbit about a certain flagshipped game ... ;)

And, well, this game is just an entirely different theme with LOTS of new customers ... ;)

At least as long as those customers aren't already in wow ...

I won't be interested. I loved Diablo but Diablo 2 had already moved too far into multiplayer territory for me. Given Blizzard's online expertise, I'd expect a Diablo 3 to move further in that direction.

I'd also be very surprised if Diablo 3 wasn't as or more focused on MP than Hellgate.

That is, if we ever see it.

Oh phu-leees! I've clicked my left mouse button enough for three lifetimes...at least.
But as with all sensational preview-launch-before-we-give-you-any-information-teaser-sites,
it's fun to see how all the users in the world crash yet another server. :biggrin:

...and the art is usually nice.

hmmm...

perhaps this is just a social experiment: see how many desperate fans flock to the website, you can measure time until first click, etc etc...hehe

To be honest the prospect of Diablo 3 holds no interest for me at all - the 'genre' has been done to death by plenty of others (some of whom, I think, did it better!)...yawn.

Done it better? Hmmm. Well, I loved FATE. That did most things better. But D2 is still an ongoing multiplayer game for me & my 2 kids. We're only in the jungle now. We play maybe once or twice a month, and have been for years. I very much appreciate that it has given me a chance to bond & relate to my kids. Not to mention, it's a pretty enjoyable (if lighthearted) time.

Do you mean this newsbit Alrik? Your link doesn't go anywhere but the forums for me.

I'm not surprised, actually. What would be a surprise is if anything reliable ever did get leaked about Diablo 3.

It could still be an MMORPG. Even though it might compete with WoW, it's possible that WoW will be on the decline in two years (or whenever Diablo MMORPG comes out) and they will need a new game to get the money printing machines cranked up again.

Why would Blizzard give a fan site a release announcement anyway?

I'm sure a new Diablo game would be some kind of mega Blizzard rendered movie at one of their Fan Fests. Oh? Isn't one of them happening soon?

29th of June maybe in Paris.

Do you mean this newsbit Alrik? Your link doesn't go anywhere but the forums for me.

Oops, I think you're right.

Besides ... "Half the Internet" ...

- StarCraft
- WOW

These are the only two games with a similar widespread fan- or otherwise base than the action-RPG ...

Personally, I'd rather expect StarCraft, considering the hype in the last few months ...

Seems it won't be a Diablo 3 announcement.
I'm sorry, but if it is not a Diablo 3 announcement, then they had NO business saying half the Web will link to them. There is no other reason half the Web would be interested in diablo3.com. Even an announcement regarding some other game (Starcraft) wouldn't be earth-shattering enough for diablo3.com to merit such high levels of attention.

If it's true that there is no D3 announcement, then their hype was & is pretty inexcusable.

Back
Top Bottom