Fallout Fallout 1 Playthough

I know a lot of people cite the exploration as a great feature in F3. TBH, I feel F1 and 2 have far better exploration. A few hours into F3, I began to realize that I'm never going to see anything truly new or amazing. All of the dungeons look the same and they're always neatly distinguished just like every other Bethesda game: you've got your cave dungeon, building dungeon, vault dungeon... that's it I guess. It all just seems the same.

Plus, and this is nitpicking I know, but in the previous fallouts each community at least had some sort of economy. The Den sold slaves, Redding mined, Modoc farmed. There were convoys and cattle. In F3... we'll use Megaton as an example: they have one brahmin. No crops, nothing. I guess everyone makes a living on selling tin cans.

Anywhoo, enough bitching from me for now.

In F3... we'll use Megaton as an example: they have one brahmin. No crops, nothing. I guess everyone makes a living on selling tin cans.
They can't sell tin cans because they have no one to sell to, there's only one town ;)

I know a lot of people cite the exploration as a great feature in F3. TBH, I feel F1 and 2 have far better exploration. A few hours into F3, I began to realize that I'm never going to see anything truly new or amazing. All of the dungeons look the same and they're always neatly distinguished just like every other Bethesda game: you've got your cave dungeon, building dungeon, vault dungeon... that's it I guess. It all just seems the same.

Plus, and this is nitpicking I know, but in the previous fallouts each community at least had some sort of economy. The Den sold slaves, Redding mined, Modoc farmed. There were convoys and cattle. In F3... we'll use Megaton as an example: they have one brahmin. No crops, nothing. I guess everyone makes a living on selling tin cans.

Anywhoo, enough bitching from me for now.

Good points, even though I'm one of the people that cite exploration. I guess the sense of spatial immersion was so palpable that I ignored those other shortcomings. Perhaps it also helps that I was happy to play it 30-40 hours and and feel reasonably satisifed. If I had meticulously crawled through 150 hours of everything, I'd probably hate it. But why waste my own time trying to achieve some sort of theoretical value equation?

Fallout fits very, very well into he current fashion of "dark & gritty" in gaming and in fantasy-related arts anyway.

I was recently discussing this with other people and I came to the conclusion (for me) that even in P&P dark settings rule. Everything's dark now, even the covers of the P&P role playing magazines I bought on the RPC.

Dark settings are the current fashion, it seems to me, the darker, the better. (My favourite example: SWBFI vs. SWBFII : Where are the colours gone ???) And oooh, dirty, of course. The dirtier, the better. And full of cynism.

Therefore it is clear to me that Bethsoft has an interest in the Fallout liccense - if they have come to the same conclusion as I did. It is just a tool to cater the current tastes in gaming and in role-playing, too.

That's pure interpretation, you put in in someone else mind (Bethesa) something you can't know.

Your gimmick remark (not the first post with it) is still interesting by itself. As a gamer who don't care about most games, I didn't quote that at all. In fact I don't see more than The Witcher to fit really well the dirty gimmick. But I won't be surprised that this game would have a huge influence in gaming.

Ok I admit I haven't any serious statistic numbers about this, but I definitely quote that in forums. In fact JDR13 you are the first exception to this rule that I quote. So you prefer G2+NOTR to G1? Another point would be to have play G2 then G2+NOTR that decrease the pleasure to play G2+NOTR, in this case the reason is quite obvious and a different subject..

Actually Dasale, you're the exception to the rule, not I. Most fans of the Gothic series agree that Gothic+NotR is the peak of the series. I'm not saying that it's a lot better than Gothic, I personally view them as equally great.

Actually - whether or not you prefer G2 or G1, most fans agree that both games are excellent ... I thought your (Dasale's) initial point was that people had the same feelings about G2 compared to G1 that fans of Fallout 1/2 have towards FO3.

I'd rather say that fans of FO1/2 has the same feeling towards FO3 as fans of G1/2 towards G3 ;)

or

Fans of G1 towards G2 feels the same as Fans of Fallout towards Fallout 2 and the other way round. Some thinks that Fallout is better than Fallout 2 and some that FO 2 is better than original.

What's the use of these comparisons - really.

Just because both series have 3 games - they're not necessarily the perfect material for twin comparisons.

There are so many factors when making an accurate comparison, and if we go there the whole thing will very quickly fall apart.

In any case - there are gigantic differences between how Gothic 3 and Fallout 3 handled their respective legacies.

You know, I bought Gothic when it came out, played it and enjoyed it. Then... for some reason I never played it again, in fact I don't even know where the cd is anymore. I can't remember anything about it either, other then a few details. I should really pick up the second one I guess.

Anyways, as I keep babbling about over and over again is that Fallout 3 should have been made by the same people that made the first two. If they can't make it, then it shouldn't have been made at all. I hate more then anything when something cool, whether it be a game, movie, or music is run into the ground with sequels and spin offs until it doesn't sell anymore. The only right Bethesda has to the Fallout universe, is legal rights, which is lame and not what video games used to be about.

Bethesda makes "safe" games. Games with little imagination, nothing daring, no limits pushed. I'm sure they think they're awfully clever critiquing 1950's culture, but honestly, critiquing anything as if it's still relevant even though it's been dead for decades, is just sad. They made a game with good graphics and then put filler in the form of a few NPCs and a horde of monsters with stats that barely mean anything.

Again, I have to ask Bethesda, why they simply didn't make their OWN game. It really isn't that difficult! How about this: Civilization breaks down after a series of deadly military viruses are spread around the world killing 80% of the population and 50% of plant life, civil unrest ensues, America splinters into tiny counties that war with one another, you the awesome player must survive the factional backstabbing, vicious raiders, and the horrors of simply getting enough to eat. BAM! Sounds better then trying to scrounge up lame excuses for why the Enclave is even alive, how sterile mutants could somehow get all the way to DC, why DC is a desert at all!

Anyways, rant over.

Anyways, as I keep babbling about over and over again is that Fallout 3 should have been made by the same people that made the first two. If they can't make it, then it shouldn't have been made at all.

For the record, the pepole that made Fallout didn't make Fallout 2.

Übereil

Ok, late to this party and I've already bitched enough about Fallout 3 (or have I?) but this is an excellent observation:

in the previous fallouts each community at least had some sort of economy. The Den sold slaves, Redding mined, Modoc farmed. There were convoys and cattle. In F3... we'll use Megaton as an example: they have one brahmin. No crops, nothing. I guess everyone makes a living on selling tin cans.

It's this LACK of attention to detail (and logic really) that hurts Bethesda the most.

It's like they don't even consider these things at all. Like in Oblivion where there is an INVASION, OMG! But the townsfolk are oblivious to it and nothing ever really happens.

And don't even get me started about how you end up on the main quest in Oblivion. What a joke (compared to Morrowind where it eased you into the plot naturally) - ok, I'm digressing...

Their games remind me of those huge budget action blockbusters. Lots of "cool stuff" but you really can't think about it too much or you'll see all the holes and ridiculousness.

Anyway, I guess Fallout 3 isn't too terrible (I don't like it but can see and admit to what they DID do right). In a way it's good that they didn't give us a carbon copy of the previous games.

But Bethesda need to seriously hire a few real hardcore RPG Geeks to design their games (and BETTER actors/writers).

But Bethesda need to seriously hire a few real hardcore RPG Geeks to design their games (and BETTER actors/writers).

They actually don't because their products (even if "dumbed down") sell well.

Just reinstalled Fallout 1 today out of boredom, haven't played it in years. I'm curious, are there any mods out there that are recommended? So far I've only installed the 1.2 patch and the resolution mod.

Also, what was the original resolution for Fallout? Was it 640x480?

Also, what was the original resolution for Fallout? Was it 640x480?
Yes.
I'm curious, are there any mods out there that are recommended?
As far as I know there aren't any mods for first FO. There are only some (like "Restoration Project") for second one. Though you may find some minor fixes on the net. I haven't found anything interesting for me.

Thanks, I thought it was 640x480 but I wasn't sure. The resolution mod allows any resolution, but things get too small if you go too high. I'm finding 800x600 to be just about right.

NMA has a list of mods here if anyone is interested. I'm thinking about trying the NPC mod. It doesn't change much, just adds some common sense improvements.

I just played through Fallout 1 for like the 100th time. I gotta say, this game and it's sequel destroys fallout 3. I know it's been debated to death, but seriously, did anyone that developed F3 even play the previous games? It's a crying shame really, it just seems like they can't make a good RPG these days.

You hit the nail right on the head!

And you are very correct in your assessment of F1. What a fantastic game!

The worst thing about Bethesda having the fallout license is that they arent going to try and make a real fallout sequel. They are only going make Oblivion with guns.

Fortunately, Fallout is just a name.

Anyone willing to do it justice can make a game JUST LIKE Fallout - but call it something else.

Unless they managed to license post apocalyptic settings as well :)

I just started Fallout 1 yesterday, it's my first time playing it since I finished it 8-9 years ago. My plan is to play FO 1-2-3 all in a row, and then see what my opinion is of the differences between them.

Currently exploring Junktown....

Back
Top Bottom