What Game Should I Play Next?

Well I need a scifi fix, so am installing Mass Effect 1. First try froze my machine. Trying a second time after uninstalling a bunch of unplayed games.

I am thinking of playing an Adept class since it seems the most interesting. Playing as a straight up warrior doesn't appeal since there are better shooter games. Advice on a good Adept build welcome! :)

UPDATE: Bah, the game installed but now crashes at the config utility at startup. The patches at this site won't download:

http://masseffect.bioware.com/me1/pc/updates/index.html

Suggestions?

Last edited:
Download TuneUp Utilities 2013. Use custom install to avoid the usual crapware. It runs for 10 days and comfortably gets rid of a lot of junk on your PC, makes suggestions for optimizations and includes a TurboMode (disables everything you don't need for gaming ... if you want to).
Nice tool. Easy to use and relatively safe for a tuning utility, meaning some common sense is enough. Make a restore point before you install though.
Maybe ME runs then, but at least you'll kill 1000 little annoyances on your PC. After 10 days simply uninstall.

Patches for just any game you can find on patches-scrolls site, and here's the link for ME1:
http://www.patches-scrolls.de/mass_effect.php

Whatever you do with adept you can't fail. Sorry for no details, I've played it long time ago so I can't remember exactly what skills were most efficient. :(

@joxer, thanks for the links. They are downloading. Now I assume you apply the patches in sequence 1.01a followed by 1.2? The Bioware patch page has no instructions. Why Bioware can't bother to maintain support for their older games, including "hacked" forums, and provide simple instructions for patching is beyond me. Very unprofessional.

UPDATE: Those patches fixed the configuration utility crashing when applied in order, so the game at least runs now. Thank you very much!

Bioware doesn't provide much support for ME1. I had to follow links from the Bioware forums to get the patches and DLC. Like most games, you only need the latest patch.

Wow! The incompetence every single step of the way is astounding. Tried to install the "free" Bring Down the Sky DLC, and the code they provide with it doesn't work. Have to go digging around for another code. All this trouble better be worth it. :beadyeyed:

UPDATE: FYI, on the forums someone posted a code that worked for me today. Apparently once the activation limit is reached the code stops working. Wonderfully stupid system for a free DLC. Another brilliant Bioware frustrate the customer move. :/

Here is the code in case anyone is interested (not guaranteed to work forever, though)

BK2S-T7K7-NRZ3-NUK5-W7YL

UPDATE 2: I played some of the first mission. It really feels like a souped up KotOR, with the RTwP controls, and corridor like level design. The amount of talky talk is extraordinary and dominates all the rest of the gameplay.

Last edited:
So, the patch links are working today for some reason. Was it my bad luck Monday and Tuesday or was I the squeaky wheel that got them to fix it? Who knows?

In the meantime, EA support first blamed my computer in an obviously copy-pasted thoughtless generic response, then said I needed to register (which is impossible on either the EA or Bioware sites), then said I need to get a pogo account to link to my EA master account, and register on Pogo to play multiplayer (which Mass Effect has none). WTF?

What a complete fuck up is EA/Bioware support for ME (and probably all games in general if this is indicative).

Perhaps they just didn't expect anyone to play ME1 anymore ?

And perhaps Muzyka left after contacting that support and seeing it's... Um... Spectacular. :)

Not sure if I responded already. I think I did. But if not, I would recommend Risen. It's a pretty nice RPG, especially on a PC with some better graphical capabilities than how I played it (Xbox 360). It's a pretty engaging game in that you actually have to work hard at first to achieve anything. Even something as seemingly simple as getting armor to wear has a huge cost and work you must do to obtain it. I really liked that aspect. The game in general feels very human and life-like in ways. You really feel like you are stranded on a crazy island with only sticks to defend yourself (at first). It's really cool.

I finished ME1 and tried to start ME2. Sadly, the activation code sold by Gamer's Gate is not accepted by EA's online authentication service. But Origin accepts the key, so I am trying downloading from there. It will take a long time, with no guarantee of working. Needless to say I am rather fed up with Gamer's Gate and EA. :(

UPDATE:

It took 20 Hours over my WiFi - DSL link to download ME 2 from Origin. And it actually runs. Surpise. Another 8 hours to get DLC / promotions. So I spent the time playing Legend of Grimrock while waiting for the downloads. I am so into Grimrock, it may be a while before I take up ME2. I hate EA. :/

Last edited:
Well my relatively new laptop DVD player won't work, so while the motherboard is on back order (sigh), I'll pick something I have as a digital download. Any suggestions from the following?

(in alpha order)

AI War Bundle
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Anachronox
Assassin's Creed 2 Digital Deluxe
Avencast
Avernum Great Trials Trilogy (1-5)
Betrayal at Krondor Pack
Bioshock 2
Bulletstorm
Commandos Pack
Crusader Kings II
Crysis Maximum Edition
Dawn of War
Dead Space 2
Demigod
Deus Ex Human Revolution: The Missing Link DLC
Deus Ex Invisible War
Disciples II Gold
Dungeon Siege I, II, III with Treasures of the Sun DLC
Elemental: Fallen Enchantress
Empire Earth: Gold Edition
Eschalon: Book I
Eschalon: Book II
Europa Universalis 3 Complete
Evochron Mercenary
Galactic Civilizations II
Geneforge Saga
Guild Wars: Trilogy
Hamiltons Great Adventure
Hard Reset
Hearts of Iron 2 - Complete
Inquisitor
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame: Complete Pack
Kingdoms of Amalur
Mafia II
Magicka Collection
Majesty 2 Collection
Majesty Gold - HD
Mount & Blade: Complete
Nethergate Resurrection
Oddworld Abes Oddysee and Exoddus Pack
Overlord Complete Pack
Painkiller Complete
Patrician III
Penumbra Collectors Pack
Portal
Realms of Arkania 1+2
Realms of the Haunting
Red Faction: Armageddon - Path to War
Red Orchestra
Return to Krondor
Risen 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Saints Row: The Third
Space Rangers 2 Reboot
Spellforce - Platinum Edition (NA)
Spellforce 2: Gold Edition
Splinter Cell
Splintercell: Chaos Theory
The Bard's Tale
The Void
Torchlight
Two Worlds II: Velvet Edition
Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar
Ultima Underworld 2
Ultima Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams
Victoria
Victoria II
Victoria: Revolutions
Warlock: Master of the Arcane
Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire
Worms Revolution
X-Com Apocalypse
X-Com Enforcer
X-Com Interceptor
X-Com Terror from the Deep
X-SuperBox

Cheers!

sorry if my list scares you. it does me. ;)

You haven't played any of those?

Going by what I know of you as a gamer:

Risen 2 if you want a modern game that has enough PB magic to be worthwhile - just as long as you don't expect Gothic 2 level quality. It's not streamlined or dumbed down.

Realms of the Haunting if you want an absolutely fantastic shooter/RPG/adventure hybrid with very dated visuals.

I've played pretty much all of them, so if you can be more specific about what you're in the mood for - I can probably suggest something more useful

Amazing backlog, eh. And that's just the digital downloads… Not sure what I am in the mood for. I was going to play Gothic 1, but my DVD player won't let me. Maybe if I enter the code I can activiate it on Steam. Should try that.

Realms of the Haunting is appealing to me too. Haven't played a horror title in a while. Risen 2 is a good suggestion, too. Thanks!

Crusader Kings II
Europa Universalis 3 Complete
Galactic Civilizations II
Hearts of Iron 2 - Complete

If you are in strategic mood you can't go wrong with none of this.
Note if you don't have any experience with EU games,best start with EU 3.
Note on those EU game:

In EU 3 you play as county and it's least complex of those 3.
in CK 2 you play as ruler there is lot more management especially within noble families.
HoI 2 is most focused on war and potentially most complex of those games(but not best imo)

But I would give advantage to GC 2 since EU 4 is coming later this year and there is not 4X game with similar complexity of GC 2 in sight.

Amazing backlog, eh. And that's just the digital downloads… Not sure what I am in the mood for. I was going to play Gothic 1, but my DVD player won't let me. Maybe if I enter the code I can activiate it on Steam. Should try that.

Realms of the Haunting is appealing to me too. Haven't played a horror title in a while. Risen 2 is a good suggestion, too. Thanks!

If I had the original Gothic and couldn't use my DVD - I'd just download the torrent in a heartbeat.

Then again, I'm a rational individual ;)

Yeah - both games are fantastic in their own way - and as long as you can deal with the flaws, you really can't go wrong with them.

Back
Top Bottom