RPGWatch Feature: Let's Play AoD! #2

Dhruin

SasqWatch
With cash in pocket from the first mission, our assassin in the second episode of "Let's Play The Age of Decadence!" decides to hit the market and get a map appraised. It sounds like a straight forward setup but Vince D. Weller shows how the Streetwise skill opens up new options, even in this simple scenario.
Read it all here.
More information.

Visually, it got a great BG feel.

I'm just worried gameplay wise of the fact it doesnt seem a party based rpg.

I'm also wondering of the depth of the game. The number of options seems incredible, perhaps they have a huge team of scripters or they have been working on it for five years?

My understanding is VD wrote the entire script. I would guess he would say it's amazing how many options you can provide if you aren't held back worrying about voiceovers or getting the art pipeline to do another 50 animations. Most of these choices don't require new art or locations - just some simple skill checks and text.

I LOVE the way playing with the appropriate skills opens up different aspects of the lore and different perspectives on in game situations. I'm one of those people who obsessively reads all the books and suchlike in games, definately looking forward to playing this one.

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm also wondering of the depth of the game. The number of options seems incredible, perhaps they have a huge team of scripters or they have been working on it for five years?
The game has been in development since Mar 2004.

My understanding is VD wrote the entire script. I would guess he would say it's amazing how many options you can provide if you aren't held back worrying about voiceovers or getting the art pipeline to do another 50 animations. Most of these choices don't require new art or locations - just some simple skill checks and text.
Pretty much. It's a matter of focus. Some games are focused on mind blowing visuals (Crysis), some games are focused on choices & consequences (Arcanum), some games are focused on tactics (Jagged Alliance), etc.

I LOVE the way playing with the appropriate skills opens up different aspects of the lore and different perspectives on in game situations. I'm one of those people who obsessively reads all the books and suchlike in games, definately looking forward to playing this one.
Thanks, Gareth.

I'm just worried gameplay wise of the fact it doesnt seem a party based rpg.

I'm glad it's not party based.

I do so like the old Guilds from old rpgs. So I'd progress along it's path, but being a stealth player I don't want to spoil it.

I had a dream last night that AoD got finally released, but they did not accept credit cards for download, the price was 1000 bull skins in cash and nothing else could do...

Oh, well, I got carried away. While the release is still in a while, are we going to recieve a new special like this one anytime soon? Thanks.

I kind of assumed that there was no interest (for many reasons, including the spoiling nature of the articles), considering the low response, but if that's not the case, I can have the next article ready in a few days.

While you're here VD is the box version you're putting out the 'collector's edition' or do you have 2 box versions coming out or is that old news on the web-site?

I kind of assumed that there was no interest (for many reasons, including the spoiling nature of the articles), considering the low response, but if that's not the case, I can have the next article ready in a few days.

Youre kidding right? AoD is definetly one of the more interesting future games. It was even praised in last months printed games mag I happen order. I do hope there will be a CE.

Youre kidding right? AoD is definetly one of the more interesting future games. It was even praised in last months printed games mag I happen order. I do hope there will be a CE.

There will be a Collector's Edition, check out the Unofficial FAQ on the Iron Tower Studio forums.

While you're here VD is the box version you're putting out the 'collector's edition' or do you have 2 box versions coming out or is that old news on the web-site?
One box ... to rule them all.

Basically, we have a digital version for people who don't really care about boxes and printed material goodness, and want to pay as little as possible, and then we have a boxed edition for people who like collecting pretty boxes, putting nice, full color glossy maps on walls, and reading nice looking manuals with pictures and concept art while visiting certain waste management facilities.

Kind of like Stardock with Sins of a Solar Empire and the like- it's a good method.

I'm really interested in the game, but you are right: I'm a bit afraid of too many spoilers :).

I think the spoiler aspect means another one probably hits the limit but don't pay too much attention to the comment rate. The articles are largely self explanatory and there's no controversy but that doesn't mean they aren't being read.

Yes, this isn't the Codex where articles get ripped just because they're there!! :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom