RPGs for Android devices?

Motoki, which tablet do you have, and how are the controls when trying to play a game like BG?

I have the Viewsonic G Tablet. The viewing angles aren't the best but for something I'm holding in my hand and can move easily to view head on it's not a big for me. Other than that it's a decent tablet for a reasonable price if you don't mind installing a custom rom. The stock OS is pretty crappy.

The controls I think are decent. The mouse pointer is basically your finger and then if you need to type something in there's a little ABC button you hit in the corner the brings up a virtual keyboard sub menu. I'm having an issue with the dialog pop up overlays not showing properly so I need to look into that to be able to play through it, but it seems to be working for other people.

*edit: apparently there's a widescreen mod I need to grab to fix the dialog overlay isssue.

These a blog post with a video of someome playing it on their phone of all things here:

http://androidsaga.blogspot.com/2011/06/baldurs-gate-on-android-emulator-gemrb.html

That's impressive from a technical standpoint, but I can't imagine someone seriously trying to play the game that way. I would have had enough of that 4.3" screen after about five minutes.

Playing on a tablet seems feasible, but I imagine your fingertips would get pretty raw after awhile. :)

Yeah, I haven't played it extensively yet but I do have a stylus so I think once I really get into it I will switch over to that.

The GOG sale gave me the push to get the Infinity engine games and get them up and working on Android. Got Baldur's up with GemRB now. Seems to be working fine. It's awesome to have these games on a tablet. I think companies are missing an opportunity to make front ends or ports of these 2D old classics for tablets.

how did you get it working? I can't seem to get it to recognize BG2. The videos show Planescape working - not sure how to install considering that discs are prompted for when you get there and I don't think an official NoCD patch was put out.

how did you get it working? I can't seem to get it to recognize BG2. The videos show Planescape working - not sure how to install considering that discs are prompted for when you get there and I don't think an official NoCD patch was put out.

I didn't need a NoCD patch. I just installed the game as normal (GOG version) and then you copy those files over minus the EXE files because it doesn't run those, it has its own.

I followed the instructions on the description of the app in the market which are:

Installation instructions:
1. Install apk and run. GemRB will install some data files to you device and close.
2. Open directory app-data/net.sourceforge.gemrb on SD card with any file manager and rename file GemRB.cfg.sample to GemRB.cfg.
3. Install original game to PC (full installation needed!).
4. Copy all folders and files(except *.exe) from game folder on your PC to app-data/net.sourceforge.gemrb folder on your device SD card.
5. Edit GemRB.cfg in text editor to configure GemRB (instructions inside file).
6. Start GemRB and configure controls if needed.

I guess there needs to be a step 3.5 where you install the widescreen mod because most tablets are beyond the resolution those games natively supported.

Now when I ran the app the first time I had the sd card in the tablet and it copies its files there. Then I pulled out the sd card and put it in a usb adapter, plugged it into my PC and copied over the contents of C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Baldurs Gate\ over to the app-data/net.sourceforge.gemrb\ on the SD card.

Then you edit the GemRB.cfg file. By default it looks like it's setup for BG2 without much messing with it, but the comments tell you which settings to change and enter.

As I type it out it sounds way more complicated than it is, but it really wasn't that bad.

back to the list

Iniotia 3 is a really addicting and fun game. I would recomend it over zenoitia but it has some massive glitches that can randomly make it unplayable (the screen goes black but the game continues running, sometimes force closes other times it just runs with a black screen)

More RPGs for Android devices

Hello everyone,
I looked through Android Market again and found some more RPGs (or games with RPG elements). Below is a list; the links again go to the entries of the games on Android Market; I've usually linked to the paid full versions but there may be free lite versions available. I've again tried to classify the games based on the style of play, but based on very brief looks only so some may be misclassified. I will later integrate this list with the one in my previous post. [Update: the lists are now integrated.]

Action RPGs:

Emissary of War

Dragon of the Three Kingdoms (not sure how strong RPG elements it has, described as an "Action RPG (arcade beat'em up)")

Flailery RPG

Galaxy Hero (described as a "top-scrolling shoot-em-up RPG hybrid"; does seem to have several RPG elements)

BRAVE

Across Age DX

Destinia

Illusia

Colosseum (described as an RPG, not sure how strong the RPG elements are)

RPGs with pauseable real-time tactical combat:

GemRB (Thanks for noticing this Motoki! Implementation for running Infinity Engine games like Baldur's Gate on Android devices.)

RPGs with turn based battles (Final Fantasy style or other turn based system):

Infinite Tower RPG (probably turn-based, not sure how far in development it is)

Acedia RPG ("inspired by old computer games like the Ultima series")

Totally Random Hero RPG

Eve of the Genesis HD

First-person RPGs (full 3D or Dungeon Master -style):

Earth and Legend

Roguelikes

Infinite Dungeon

Kamyran's Eye

We can beat GIANT MONSTERS ES

Gamebook (multiple-choice) style games:

Alter Ego

Zombie Chronicles

Zombie Chronicles 2

Online RPGs:

Elemental Knights Online

Aardwolf RPG (text-based, multi-user dungeon "MUD", somewhat like an online roguelike)

BlowTorch MUD Client (not a game, just a client for playing several MUD games)

AndroMud (another MUD client)

Urban Dead for Android (frontend for existing web-based zombie game, proof of concept)

TibiaME MMO

Faintless MMORPG (in development, pre-alpha)

Explorer Heroes

Strategy games with RPG elements ("Tactical RPGs"):

Battle for Wesnoth (Thanks for noticing this Arhu!)

Mage War

Free Heroes 2 (Thanks for noticing this Lucky Day! Implementation for running Heroes of Might and Magic II on Android devices; in progress. The Heroes of Might and Magic games are strategy games with some RPG elements.)

VCMI (Thanks for noticing this Lucky Day! Implementation for running Heroes of Might and Magic III on Android devices; in progress. The Heroes of Might and Magic games are strategy games with some RPG elements.)

Trading/strategy games with RPG elements (like Elite/Privateer):

Pirates and Traders: Gold!

Star Traders RPG Elite (a "complex space simulation and turn-based Strategy role playing game", might be closer to Elite/Privateer style games than traditional RPGs)

Note that there are lots of massively multiplayer online games that are somewhat similar to the above genre, involving resource gathering/management and possibly some combat/strategy. They are sometimes named as RPGs, sometimes just massively multiplayer games without an RPG reference. I've listed some of these below:

iMobsters, Mafia Conflict, Zombies Live, Vampires Live, Kingdoms Live, Ninjas Live, Zombies RPG, Algadon Medieval Web Game, Phoenix Emperor, Project Galaxia, Dragon Life, Age of Legends, Dark Galaxy, Villains, Roman Empire, Crime Inc, Superheroes Alliance, The Streetz, Emross War, Universe War

Last edited:
Hey - thanks for the GemRB tip ... it can install the BG demo by default. I'm doing that on my HTC Flyer now.

Exitium: Saviors of Vardonia - Market

Was superb on my iPhone, recently came to Android and is awesome on my Galaxy tab!

Four characters to play, each with different perspaective to the main story. Old-school 2D RPG style, if you're into that sort of thing.

Has on-line swapping and trading of items.

Sacracy RPG

How about the action-rpg Sacracy? It is available on the android market and it is completely free. For more information visit www.sacracy.com.

sacracy_screenshot_collection.jpg

Avadon has been ported to Android as well now.

Avadon has been ported to Android as well now.

Note that even on something as large screened as the Samsung Galaxy S2 Avadon refuses to run, do it really is for a 7" or greater tablet.

Wow some very cool looking games there, I'm definitely going to check out Battle for Wesnoth first and then maybe work through the list a bit.

For anyone trying to get gemrb going this is the thread I found most helpful.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=24008&hl=+help++making++gemrb&fromsearch=1

alx3apps' reply was the best install guide I found. I managed to get Icewind Dale working with it and it seems to run smooth as, my problem was getting a resolution that looked good and yet didn't leave the buttons/text too small (maybe a stylus would help?) but very keen to see what BG:EE plays like with more built in touchscreen controls.

If gemrb keeps crashing also check the possible problems in the same post, I had to take the taskbar into account for my tablet (1280x800 crashes, 1280x750 works fine).

Battleloot Adventure was released recently. I've only played the tutorial part so far, but it has some nice pseudo turn based/tactical approach to it. It does have one of those ads/freemium approaches to it unfortunately. I have no idea how bad the bottlenecks will be.

Note that even on something as large screened as the Samsung Galaxy S2 Avadon refuses to run, do it really is for a 7" or greater tablet.
It's late, but IIRC I read a post by Jeff that mention 1024x600 as min res that he was willing to support as it appears that he doesn't use standard Android UI at all.

I didn't even know about this until I found it on one of the indieroyale(or similar things) and it said ANDROID and that sold the bundle for me even though I had ZERO interest in the other 3 or 4 games in the bundle...

(Funny note: I went in on another one of those bundles(PC/Mac/Linux no mobiles) because I wanted 3079, but ended up having more fun with Towns (kinda-sorta dwarf fortress light w/humans... didn't have much interest in the 3rd game in that bundle so yet to try that one...)

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but i have recently bought an Acer Iconia A700 (awesome device!!) and i was wondering if there are durther recommendations for single-player Android RPGs or Android adventures (like Broken sword series)....

Cheers in advance,
L.

Back
Top Bottom