GOG - Pick 5 Games for $10

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
At Good Old Games you can now buy 5 games from a list of 20 and pay only 10 dollars.
Pick 5 & Pay $10 Promo allows gamers to pick any 5 games from a list of twenty great indies and pay only $10, regardless of the selected games. These twenty fantastic titles include Torchlight, Resonance, Alan Wake's American Nightmare, Botanicula, Geneforge 1-5, and 15 others--7 of which are also on Mac--are available for the next 7 days in GOG.com's Pick 5 & Pay $10 Black Friday special. That's an incredibly low price of $2 each. Gamers can pick one of 15,504 different sets of 5 games and save up to $59.95.

Users who own some of the games will get a giftable code for the games they have. This promo ends Tuesday, November 27 at 4:59 AM GMT.
More information.

Nothing there that I really want, except for "to the moon" perhaps. But another great deal from GOG.

The old coots on another forum I frequent have been bemoaning the current state of computer gaming, claiming that "it ain't as much fun as it used to be". I'll have to direct them to this deal - we're knee deep in quality indie titles that can be had DRM free for a couple of bucks each, AND they're only a few mouse clicks away.

Good times.

As I already got Torchlight on some Steam sale... And although I adore adventure games, in this case I will not pay a single cent for Alan Wake since I despise marketing that wants to sell stuff by adding a prefix "american"... I'll have to skip this deal.
But it's nice one, definetly.

Fantastic opportunity for Geneforge virgins. Go for it and get all 5 for $10.

It's actually better than that: they count as one game, so you can get all 5 Genforges for $2. Of course you have to pick four other indie games from that list (for a total of $10), but there's some other gems in there as well...

It's actually better than that: they count as one game, so you can get all 5 Genforges for $2. Of course you have to pick four other indie games from that list (for a total of $10), but there's some other gems in there as well…

Yeah, none of the others really appealed to me though. So $10 is the low bar.

As I already got Torchlight on some Steam sale… And although I adore adventure games, in this case I will not pay a single cent for Alan Wake since I despise marketing that wants to sell stuff by adding a prefix "american"… I'll have to skip this deal.
But it's nice one, definetly.

I thought the second Alan Wake game is a shooter?

Which games do you guys recommend? Only SP mode is relevant.

1) Geneforge
and then?
I already have Trine and Alan Wake.
I thought about Anomaly and Botanicula.

Well, I thought Gemini Rue was a very interesting adventure game. A throwback to Beneath a Steel Sky and games like that. I've been meaning to play it for a while now.

Which games do you guys recommend? Only SP mode is relevant.

1) Geneforge
and then?
I already have Trine and Alan Wake.
I thought about Anomaly and Botanicula.

Personally I can recommend Trine, Botanicula, Machinarium and Blackwell. Blackwell is a cool series of adventure games, Trine is a great-looking platformer, Botanicula/Machinarium are both beautiful, simple, atmospheric puzzlers.

Unmechanical and the Ball are two I picked up that are good so far. But more atmosphere than quality gameplay. A lot of these titles are more atmosphere and charm than high-quality or long-lasting gameplay.

Gemini Rue and Anomaly Warzone Earth are two more I've heard good things about but can't personally recommend.

It's a good sale, tho not necessarily for cRPG fans.

Thanks for the recommendation guys!

I'll never understand the love for Geneforge (or Spiderweb games in general).

Here's an easy explanation from my point of view. Party based game-play with turn based combat and a big world to explore. It's often a winning combination generally speaking. That should be easy to understand. Admittedly I've only played Avernum: Escape from the Pit, but I'm sure these themes continue to exist throughout the whole Spiderweb oevre.

It also helps if one has an active imagination that hasn't been overly spoiled or worse...killed by the modern predilection for pretty graphics. :p

Fantastic opportunity for Geneforge virgins. Go for it and get all 5 for $10.

Picked it up on a humble bundle or similar a while back for something like $6. Still haven't had a chance to play them though. Maybe my firm would be kind enough to fire me so I can play through my backlog of games! :D

I'll never understand the love for Geneforge (or Spiderweb games in general).

I only played Avadon for about 8 hours before I kind of lost interest. I'll probably play it again sometime though. I'm not a huge tactical player, but if that's a person's thing, I definitely think spiderweb games will appeal them.

I also wonder what I could pick, I have many already, for my tastes from preferred to less preferred, I have already:
  • Torchlight: Torchlight 2 is overall quite better but TL1 has a different gameplay approach making it worth to be played anyway. The key points are the fight speed is slower, the classes skills aren't abstract, the archer class (Vanquisher) isn't the best class of TL1 but it's still better than Archer class of TL2, the infinite dungeon is an interesting feature and TL2 Mapwork is different stuff.
  • Anomaly Warzone Earth: Great game, but I never finished the PC/Mac version. It's a light strategy game with moderate action level. It's inverted Tower Defense but to get an idea just try the demo, I know nothing that compare to that game, and the demo is largely available (search on the net) and will give you a good idea of the gameplay. But for players that don't like much a quite high difficulty level and own an ipad I advise the ipad version.
  • Machinarium: Good puzzle game, beautiful graphic art, but I never finished it, not sure why, perhaps a puzzle that blocked me. Must have but only for puzzles lovers or graphic whore fans.
  • The Ball: FPS Puzzle game, there's a good mood, the puzzles are good as is the exploration of the levels. But it's only for puzzles lovers and even then it's more for the original approach.
  • Trine, Geneforge 1-5 : Tried them a bit, didn't seem bad, but I gave up after a quick try and didn't played them much yet.

I wonder if I should pick Alan Wake's American Nightmare, To The Moon, Botanicula, SpaceChem, ???. There's in this list too many point and click more or less classical adventure game I could try for the price but I don't like at all this genre but in very rare occasions.

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinions on the games.

Alan Wake's Nightmare seems to be a 3rd person action game, not an adventure. To the Moon is probably no game at all, more a story-experience thing.
Space Chem makes a good impression (there are a couple of videos on YouTube), but I'm not in the mood for a science puzzle game.
All the games by Introversion are probably very good and highly innovative, but also a matter of taste.

So far I'm leaning towards:
- Geneforge
- Botanicula
- To the Moon
- Gemini Rue
- Resonance

Plus I'll buy Anomaly Warzone Earth in the Steam Sale.

I've also skipped them. Honestly I generally don't care for looks, but there is something overall really ugly there. Is it too much or too less of something, or it's just some bad color combination, can't say. Dunno how brilliant story should be to get me distracted from it.

Back
Top Bottom