Styrateg - Review @ RPG Codex

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A bit off-topic but RPG Codex sent word they have reviewed the indie fantasy TBS game, Styrateg. Here's a descriptive sample:
Is this even an RPG? Who cares? It's a pretty enjoyable little indie game which (save for a review or two) went completely unnoticed when it was released back in 2006. So let's have a look, even if its RPG elements are minimal and it plays more like a turn-based tactical game – we like such stuff too, don't we? After all, this site has referred to Silent Storm as an RPG in the past.

Think Heroes of Might and Magic. Remove city building and separate battlegrounds so that resources are not an issue and all combat takes place on the main map. Let the player control only individual heroes (no armies). Add a few things to the stat system and some quests down the road. What's left is pretty much like Styrateg. Not impressed? If it had an involving plot, interesting quests and gripping tactical combat, a game like that could become a cult classic. While entertaining, Styrateg definitely falls short of this status.
More information.

Styateg looks interesting if I ever finish Heroes 5 I'll give it a try. Undercroft also looks pretty good. It looks like a an Eye of the Beholder type game, but it's made for the pocketPC. They do have it for windows XP but they have to "stretch" it and its resolution is at 640x480. I have to finish the games I'm playing now before I'll try this one.

Back
Top Bottom