Fallout - Dev Profile @ NMA

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Concept Artist Tony Postma is the latest Fallout Dev Profile at NMA:
Tell us a little about your role in the making of Fallout 1/2/3 (Van Buren)/Tactics ?

On Fallout 1 (and to a lesser extent, 2) I was strictly involved in the conceptual design of the look and feel, particularly the user interface. The team already had an idea of using retro-atom age imagery and objects, so I kept my concepts in that vein. I really wanted the interface to look and function like a "real" device, so I researched and imagined it to be like some computer or car stereo with a removable face plate but with 1950' vacuum tubes, bakelite plastics and glass CRT's. I also came up with the idea that the maps would be from found objects like postcards and period signage picked up from the sands of the desert. Unfortunately while I was concepting for Fallout, the majority of my time was as concept/2D for M.A.X. Mechanized Assault and eXploration (and later M.A.X. 2). I also did concept art for Shattered Steel, a few Star Trek titles, and quite a few of Interplay's other games and didn't spend as much time on Fallout as I would have wanted. I like to work in a lot of different capacities, but I think I might have spread myself too thin then.
On a Fallout-related note, NMA also has an editorial on the difference between Pip Boy and Vault Boy.
More information.

This is referring to the the Pip boy/Vault boy article-

What a great article! This is the type of game lore thing I like to read about. He must just bristle every time he sees VB being referred to as PB, i know that would bug the hell out of me having to edumacate people over and over again about it, yet still seeing it stated incorrectly. And by those supposedly in-the-know!

I remember noticing the different look of the toons on my play thru, but it didnt connect as different characters to me at the time. As I remember, it more seemed to me like an inconsistency on the part of the game's designers in the look of the mascot.

I'm also loving this stuff - I've only caught up with the Fallouts the last few years, so getting this backstory info is wonderful for me.

What a great article! This is the type of game lore thing I like to read about. He must just bristle every time he sees VB being referred to as PB, i know that would bug the hell out of me having to edumacate people over and over again about it, yet still seeing it stated incorrectly. And by those supposedly in-the-know!

You have no idea. We got alec to do this article for us, he's a published author in Belgium, and exactly the kind of insane neurotic personality that can really go nuts on the PB vs VB thing.

I loved what he gave us, in the end, it reads easily like most his works, plus he came up with some stuff and sources I had no idea of. I completely forgot that even Van Buren was getting it wrong, funny.

1 day until the trailer, let's see if they put a Vault Boy on a PIPboy 2000, heh.

dang, I forgot that we were that close to the trailer. Ive got something to look forward to this week now.

edit- it was exactly midnight when I got my pc up and running here at home (just put together a new pc desk and rearranged everything) and I realized it was exactly midnight. Checked the site. No vid. Bummed

Not like theyre going by my time zone, or are scrambling to get it up at exactly midnight or anything, but I was kinda hoping...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom