Games you love, but can't play anymore

Yeah, the setting is likely a key factor. I never cared for it, and especially not that huge ash area.

To me, "strange" isn't automatically better than familiar. Not saying that's the case for other people, but when I consider the impact of games like Torment and Morrowind - it sure does seem that unfamiliar settings get a lot of praise.

Ironically, I'm not really a big fan of the Skyrim setting, either.

I prefer traditional settings with a lot of variety. Gothic 3 is a good example of the kind of world I really want.

I prefer traditional settings with a lot of variety. Gothic 3 is a good example of the kind of world I really want.

Traditional settings have got to do something extra to really work, though. If it's just a generic "wizards in robes and pointy hats, always-evil orcs, and pretentious elves" setting then it's not going to draw me in. It can't just be weird for the sake of weird, though. I don't know enough about Gothic 3 to know where it fits into the spectrum.

Traditional settings have got to do something extra to really work, though. If it's just a generic "wizards in robes and pointy hats, always-evil orcs, and pretentious elves" setting then it's not going to draw me in. It can't just be weird for the sake of weird, though. I don't know enough about Gothic 3 to know where it fits into the spectrum.

I don't think any setting is interesting if it's not done well :)

I have no problem with wizards or elves, and I have no interest in having the wheel re-invented for every fantasy game I play.

As long as the lore supports whatever is going on, I don't need anything new.

What I really DO like, however, is variety within a setting. As in, I love fantasy games that include snowy landscapes, desert areas, swamps, forests, lakes and so on.

To me, most of Morrowind was a shade of brown. I can't tell you how much I hate those mines with eggs and the little annoying crawlers. After finding my 100th spoon or Kwama egg, I was ready to throw up :)

Again, I never understood the appeal of that setting.

The city design was fantastic, though - but that's it.

Back
Top Bottom