Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

coaster

Utarg of Utarg
Original Sin Donor
After seeing this: link

I was wondering where Watchers keep their gaming PCs. In the case of laptops, which room do you use them most in?

I've got my desktop PC in the living room, just off to the side of the sofa - so I game and watch TV at the same time, multi-tasking FTW.

I just moved to a house (private rental) - and I've decided to place my PC and desk on the first floor/attic.

I use a projector and surround sound system in the living room, and I have my PS3 to stream movies or play blurays.

Quite perfect actually :)

My main gaming PC is under a desk in our little home Office. However we also have a laptop that's hooked up to our beamer which is basically our DVD, music player, and radio. I have played games on the beamer only a few times when the family was away so far (it's also not really a gaming laptop), more as an experiment.

Well, right now, mine is jammed under the alcove under my staircase! I DID have a mancave that was half of one of the bedrooms, but now that my daughter is sleeping down there, until I get a wall put it, its off limits.

The "main" PC I'm using for different things (playing games, watching movies, working on stuff, spamming, etc) is in my bedroom, it's on a desk designed for it.

On the same desk are not just papers, magazines, boxed CDs/DVDs but also an ashtray since I smoke and I adore to smoke in the room I sleep in just because everyone is absolutely disgusted when they learn someone does that. I smoke in my bed too when watching movies for 20 years, so far I didn't burn the bed like it's suggested as hazardous behavioer that will kill you on american movies/commercials/documentaries. Although I do have Avermedia tv card, I never plugged it in that PC because I also have DVB-T USB stick that's connected to my antenna so I can watch digital TV too.

In the living room however I do have another PC and the plan was to put Avermedia TV card inside it. However I got IPTV and am watching IPTV with it - that PC doesn't have it's monitor but is connected to TV. In other words I'm not using set top box hardware (although I have it) but a PC emulates it. It's a junk machine with two LAN cards (you need two to be able to connect both on IPTV and internet) used just for IPTV and things like Skype and I'm not really playing games on it since can't run The Witcher 2 on superhigh gfx setting. It would definetly run Facebook junk games, but I refuse to register on that fraud. I did play browser MMOs on it (settlers online, the west, etc). It's real value is that I can record just anything I want to watch later. Unlike my "main" PC, this one uses wireless mouse and wireless keyboard as it's placed under TV and I just can't use classic inputs with wires.

About other stuff with chips, I don't have any consoles and there is no way I would ever buy any. It'd be like having a race horse, but racing on a donkey.

I also sometimes use a laptop on/from my work as I can connect to my firm from anywhere where internet is available via VPN. Can't say I'm playing games on it however… I have admin rights to install anything on it, but since it gets automatically replaced after a year or two, I simply can't be arsed to install/reinstall things endlessly.
Another thing to mention is that I got iPhone on my work and sorry but I can't say anything good about it as I can't believe that expensive toy with crappy OS is so popular. I planned to buy a gadget for it that turns iPhone into universal remote control, but dropped it since it's too expensive solution and since it would be used only when I'm home (I don't live alone). The only two games still installed on it (tried many, deleted even more after just a few mins of playing) are Aralon (SP RPG) and Arcane legends (MMO RPG).

Since there is not such combo of hardware on the poll, I've clicked on "bedroom" option.

Last edited:
Laptop so anywhere. I haven't owned a desktop in many years.

I tried to go that route once, but even the high end laptops back then really couldn't handle gaming well. I was about to go down that route again with my next laptop purchase, but I am thinking I'll be replacing my laptop with a tablet. Probably a Surface Pro. Depending on how well that integrates into a docking solution, it may or may not be able to replace my desktop as my main rig.

I do have an HTPC though for all my DVR/Movie & Video Collection, etc. which will be in the living room for the forseeable future.

I used to game on laptops but became increasingly disappointed with the price/performance ratio, so decided to try a desktop set up by the sofa in the lounge (with a separate monitor, not on the TV). Its worked really well.

My wife is still on a laptop but would ideally like a desktop running with a remote keyboard/monitor (ie. a laptop, but a sort of KVM setup). Unfortunately no-one seems to cater for this niche in the market :(

If you intend to play modern and demanding games, then a laptop is a very bad approach. They get outdated very fast, they're expensive - and they can't match a good desktop in terms of performance or price.

Ohhh a laptop works just fine for RPGs. I have little interest in Farcry 3 or Doom 12. My old Vista laptop (yes I said Vista) played Dragons Age just fine at the highest settings. I haven't tried Skyrim on it so I would probably have to tone down the graphics a little for that title. I generally play older/indie games so don't stress the GPU much.

Nothing wrong with a desktop with a GeForce UberTi8500Pwnage graphics card but not all of us need that.

My new computer is currently in a truck on the way to my apartment. Should arrive by the time i get off work today. I also have a laptop. I use that for school work. But, i can also game on it. Mostly BG, IWD, ect.

Desktop.Big box. Located in the basement in the furnace room where it is very warm.

My dungeon.

My wife is still on a laptop but would ideally like a desktop running with a remote keyboard/monitor (ie. a laptop, but a sort of KVM setup). Unfortunately no-one seems to cater for this niche in the market :(

You could maybe use a desktop off somewhere with a laptop running Remote Desktop Connection.

As for the main topic my PC is currently in my daughter's old bedroom. It used to be down in the basement but I am remodeling that room.

Laptop so anywhere. I haven't owned a desktop in many years.

Same here, I don't think I've ever purchased a desktop before.

If you intend to play modern and demanding games, then a laptop is a very bad approach. They get outdated very fast, they're expensive - and they can't match a good desktop in terms of performance or price.

Of course, desktops are cheaper and upgradeable, but there are quite a few laptops available these days under $1,000 that can run most recent games at 1080p just fine. If you don't mind lower resolution like 1366x768, even the Intel integrated graphics can handle this.

Last edited:
My gaming computer is in the office along with hubby's work/gaming machine and the server.
There are not many games on my HDD right now due to the recent meltdown: Skyrim, DA:O, Minecraft, everything Doomsday (Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom, Heretic, Hexen), Plants vs Zombies and Slender (though I don't know if it will run on Win8, haven't tied that yet).

My notebook died on me, but I used to use it on the sofa in the living room (same with my work notebook which is still alive). There's another computer in the living room hooked up to the TV - our stereo/video/TV machine, right beside the XBox 360.

Dedicated office, just for the pc and accessories. I do have a double wide bed in the room, so it could also be called a spare bedroom and has functioned as so a few times. It has a treadmill also, so it could also be called a torture room :D

I miss my basement man-cave that I had in Michigan.

But you're not really missing the snow we got this morning

I'm not a Watcher, but why is there no poll option for 'On the floor'?

I have a dedicated office out the back which has a desk the width of the room that fits my gaming desktop, 1 of my 4 retro PC's, and my wife's PC / music server.

The kids have the run of the house but I rule that room... for now.

Back
Top Bottom