IGN - Top 100 Games

Dhruin

SasqWatch
torment ranked below fallout and not even in the top 50?
they're delusional.

It'll prolly be BG 2, Morrowind and Oblivion for top RPGs. Maybe Mass Effect? Nothing like hype to twist around top lists.

Nah. BG2 is like number 43 or so, but I'm sure the big O will be close to the top. Bioshock would be my vote for their #1, except they say it has to be released "no later than Dec 2006" for some reason.

Has anybody played any of those games between 80-100? I think I'd heard of about two of them.

Well I've played all the Ultimas!! :)

IMO, the top 20 will probably include two Civilization games, two TES games, Mortal Kombat, Gothic (hehe...no chance, but hey!), Tie Fighter, Doom and at least one that absolutely everybody will agree shouldn't be there (just to make sure people are talking about it).

Ultima 7 at 93 are they on crack??? IT should come much much higher!

Star wars night of the old Republic is the highest rated RPG now better than U7 WTF?? system shock 2 got a honorable 23 place.

Probably stuff like Tetris at the top. Remember, it's "all time 100", meaning the oooold classics should fit in as well. I really don't think any of todays games can be compared to some of the old ones that have been released in X versions and every possible language. If you add up all the sales from all versions of Tetris, including every handheld, cellphone, console, PC, etc etc version it would probably pass 100 million copies easily (just a wild guess, as it's probably just "an unknown number". I doubt anyone has even the slightest idea how much Tetris is actually worth).

I have played many of the games ... it is interesting that Quake II is there but not Jedi Knight - since JK was universally rated higher in '97. Unless it comesin the top 20 ... which shouldn't happen. Pretty useless list so far.

Up thru #21, I've played a wopping 13 titles. I realize it's going to be hard to compare the relative merits across platforms and decades, but there's clearly some problems with the list.

A legit top 6, in no particular order:
Tetris (how many ripoffs have followed?)
PacMan (had its own tribute song in the top 40!!!)
Doom (introducing the FPS)
Myst (sold how many bazillion copies to non-gamers?)
Pong (started it all)
Starcraft (Koreans are dying from playing 72+ straight hours)

More Likely top titles on this list:
MW
One of the Final Fantasy titles
The first major Mario title
Diablo

Last edited:
Great list, dteowner! Doom should make the top 20 for sure, but it wasn't actually the first FPS, was it? Wolfenstein 3D preceded it.

...and Catacomb3D preceded that.

@magerette: I played about 15 of the games between 80 and 100, does that count? ;)

IMO Mortal Kombat, Doom, Tetris, Pacman, Pong, Quake 1, Myst. 7th Guest, Diablo and Morrowind should be on the list-to-come. And Lands of Lore, but that's wishful thinking. Perhaps Thief 1 as it was a real novum at the time.
...was System Shock already on the list somewhere?

Grim Fandango at 36. Happy its so high, didn't thought it would be. The adventure genre killer or whatever it is known for. But such a great game.

Half-Life at 26. Thought that would get a higher rank. In terms what it has meant for other games and how it stacked up against other games at that time.

@Jaz--Only 15 out of 20? I'd have expected more like 19.5. :p
I didn't see System Shock, but Thief II was there somewhere in the 30's I think.

I'm surprised to see so many PC games on the list.

I wonder if the top 20 will be badly skewed towards recent releases or if it will be proportional. I'm also kind of surprised by how few recent games (2004 and later) there have been on the list. I think that at least one 4X game like Civilization has to be on that list.

Errors so far...

No 88: Wrong sreenshot - not from the arcade but from the SNES Star Wars game, ppf..

System Shock 2 was at No 22.

It seems I've actually played about 10 or so titles of the list! Even a few more, counting stuff I've only played for just a little bit :) I feel proud of myself, I rarely score that high.

So far, notable PC games missing from the chart completely are StarCraft, Diablo, Heroes of MM and Civilization. And if I don't see them among the top 20 I'd be hugely surprised.

My picks for the remaining top 10 or so:
Wasteland
Panzer General
The Bard's Tale
Wizard of Wor
Missile Command
Neverwinter Nights
Gothic
Oblivion
Wizardry (number One)

Back
Top Bottom