How to Save Wiz6 in Dosbox?

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
OK, I have installed Wiz 6 and am attempting to play it using Dosbox (version 65 I believe) The game runs fine, but I can't get it to save. I either get a game hang, or a disk error depending on what config settings I try. Anyone got any ideas, or been able to get this to work? Thanks!!

When I played wiz6 a few years (not using dosbox) I had to use a floppy disk to save. Maybe need to configure one in dosbox or perhaps your harddisk is not mounted correctly in dosbox.

My HD's are all mounted and I don't have a floppy!! :)

From the DOSBOX readme file:

General MOUNT Examples:
1. To mount c:\DirX as a floppy :
mount a c:\DirX -t floppy

I have that.
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
MOUNT A D:\AD -t floppy
MOUNT C D:\DosCdrive
MOUNT D F:\ -t cdrom

I think i played it in win98 and it worked without dosbox. Might be worth submitting the bug to dosbox forums and might want to get the latest CVS build or try an older version of dosbox.

EDIT: pulled this off the dosbox forums, dunno if it is any help:

I'm starting to think this may have something to do with directory references. When I set my savegame directory to C:\BANE\SAVE\ earlier, it wouldn't accept it. So I tried just putting 'SAVE' in, and that seemed to work.

However, there's also another directory setting which can't be modified by any means I'm aware of that points to the scenario datafile, and I'm wondering if maybe that link is the problem.

There are also talks of a "bad crack" on the forums. I don't see any problem with using a crack, I remember wiz6 was given away free on pcgamer just before wiz7 gold was released (that's how I got it).

Last edited:
Do you have the link to that thread?

Thanks, I'll take a look!!

I used the suggestion of just using SAVE in the save game slot and it worked!! Thanks, what a weird system!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom