Best RPG Shooters

maverick878

Traveler
I just saw this list of the best RPG shooters and now was thinking of getting one. I've already played Too Human and Fallout 3. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Well, their number 7 should likely be their number 1. System Shock 2 is great fun and there really are some tough upgrade choices in it. Lot of cool weapon mods. Really great fun and can be pretty tense at times.

STALKER is good. Yeah it's pretty buggy even with the fixes, but most of the major ones have been solved. It's not really an RPG per se, but the anomolies I suppose add a bit of an RPG element. With Clear Sky, you really can't just run up to enemies and shoot them. It's quite the challenge and the atmosphere is very cool. Still, I'd get the original STALKER.

Deus Ex is another great one with similar upgrade elements that SS2 has. It's one of the few games that you can actually play stealthy all the way through. It has a really great story.

So I guess it depends on what you're looking for: if you want action and more FPS then RPG, then go with STALKER. Want stealth and choice and consequences? Go with Deus Ex. Upgrades, stats, weapon mods, etc and also a dash of horror? Go for SS2. Or just make it easy on yourself and get them all :biggrin: I'm sure they're cheap at this point.

Yep, System Shock 2 is incredible, it has some of the best atmosphere you'll ever experience in a shooter/RPG hybrid imo.

Deus Ex is another great one with similar upgrade elements that SS2 has. It's one of the few games that you can actually play stealthy all the way through. It has a really great story.

I just finished Deus Ex recently, and I played the entire game stealth/non-lethal. I only killed a single person (intentionally) in my entire playthrough, and DX is quite a long game for it's type.

Last edited:
System Shock 1 was a great deal better than SS2 IMO. Provided you get it to run on current computers.

System Shock 1 was a great deal better than SS2 IMO. Provided you get it to run on current computers.

System Shock runs just fine on WinXP/Vista now, thanks to these guys.

I disagree with SS1 being a great deal better than SS2, but that might be due to the fact that I played SS2 first. They're both great in different ways imho.

lets try the demo off SS2, thief 3, deus ex 1 and 2 finally :p

SS1, in my opinion, is superior to SS2 in most ways, except for the added RPG elements in SS2.

SS1 had a much "smarter" story, and the level design/non-linearity approach was masterful.

I really disliked the way SS2 was restricted in terms of exploration and relatively small areas. The story was a bit far-fetched also, and this was magnified due to the downright crappy ending.

Also, the "body of the many" level should have stayed on the design table, imo.

However, SS2 still ranks as one of the very best games ever made - and given this, I found Bioshock all the more disappointing. They had the opportunity to take this kind of game to the next level - but instead they turned it into just another generic shooter. However, they DID pull off a wonderful atmosphere and brilliant setting. Too bad they couldn't do more with the premise and couldn't make the story more consistent and plausible. Worst of all, though, is the entirely linear on-rails design and the simplification of the gameplay mechanics. You can basically get access to every weapon and upgrade during the first playthrough - and even the powers were mostly available without having to replay the thing. Don't even get me started on Vita chambers and glowing quest markers etc.

Anyway, RPG shooters are few and far between. They generally don't manage to pull off the shooter aspect very well, and if you focus entirely on which game is the best shooter, I actually think Fallout 3 wins - hands down.

I don't think the top 3 deserve their places ... but this is the usual console gamer / short attention span theater sort of thing.

Agreed that SS could take 2 places on the list.

Oh, yeah, the list is pathetic - but that's par for the course.

Bioshock, STALKER, and Mass Effect don't even belong in this sub-genre - so that in itself says something about the competence of the people who made the list.

Mass Effect belongs there, the two others you mention probably don't. Mass Effect certainly contains more than enough character options and choices with consequences to be a "real RPG". Most of the choices (i.e save the colony or let it be destroyed) are fairly important and will leave its mark on the world.

@maverick
I recommend ME. I enjoyed it greatly. If you want the combat to be a bit more challenging, I suggest you increase the difficulty and try to unlock hard and impossible modes, as they are both considerably more challenging than the default difficulties (it does require a few playthroughs though to get those difficulties).

Mass Effect belongs there, the two others you mention probably don't. Mass Effect certainly contains more than enough character options and choices with consequences to be a "real RPG". Most of the choices (i.e save the colony or let it be destroyed) are fairly important and will leave its mark on the world.

@maverick
I recommend ME. I enjoyed it greatly. If you want the combat to be a bit more challenging, I suggest you increase the difficulty and try to unlock hard and impossible modes, as they are both considerably more challenging than the default difficulties (it does require a few playthroughs though to get those difficulties).

Yeah, I'm talking about the shooter aspect. To anyone who knows what a shooter is supposed to be, Mass Effect isn't one.

System Shock runs just fine on WinXP/Vista now, thanks to these guys.

I disagree with SS1 being a great deal better than SS2, but that might be due to the fact that I played SS2 first. They're both great in different ways imho.

Hey thanks for that link, I tried playing System SHock 1 awhile ago and couldn't get it running so I'll give this a try.

Like others have said, the ending areas of SS2 are a bit lacking. Once I was on the VOn Braun (wasn't that the name of the military ship?) I kind of started to lose interest, but I finished through. The fleshy area looks like the insides of some sort of reproductive system. Still, it was one of my all time favs.

Yep, System Shock 2 is incredible, it has some of the best atmosphere you'll ever experience in a shooter/RPG hybrid imo.

I just finished Deus Ex recently, and I played the entire game stealth/non-lethal. I only killed a single person (intentionally) in my entire playthrough, and DX is quite a long game for it's type.

I agree, both games are awesome.

I loved these games but for the life of me can't get into the modern shooter/RPGs that are on the list. Let alone FPS games in general.

Once I was on the VOn Braun (wasn't that the name of the military ship?)
<nitpick>Nope, the military ship was the Rickenbacker. Von Braun was the TriOptimum ship you start on.</nitpick>

I'll fourth (or fifth? I lost count) the System Shock games, but I'd put SS2 over SS1. Even though SS1 was a magnificent and groundbreaking game, and even though no game since has really matched the awe and suspence I felt when I played SS1 back in the mid-90's, I still liked SS2 more. The graphic and sound design of that game just blew me away (and still do), the RPG elements made it more varied and involved character-wise, and the gameplay was, hmm, what's the word... er... smoother, more fluid (which is mostly due to several years of FPS evolution, but still), which helped me to get more immersed in the game and lessen fighting with the controls. At least that's how I remember it, it's been awhile since I last played either SSHock. Excellent games both, none the less.

Shooters with a good story:

No one lives forever 1 & 2
Max Payne 1 & 2

SS1, in my opinion, is superior to SS2 in most ways, except for the added RPG elements in SS2.

SS1 had a much "smarter" story, and the level design/non-linearity approach was masterful.

I really disliked the way SS2 was restricted in terms of exploration and relatively small areas. The story was a bit far-fetched also, and this was magnified due to the downright crappy ending.

This was my experience too when I replayed both last year - I had actually never finished ss2 before because of the poor ending. As a new thing ss2 also felt too easy even on hardest difficulty.

I played bioshock right after those two with bumped up dx10 machine and what a disappointment it was. I got bored to the game on my second day playing it. It was just "meh". Perhaps I was too spoiled by the oldies.

I just saw this list of the best RPG shooters and now was thinking of getting one. I've already played Too Human and Fallout 3. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Game like too human (average critic & user review 70%) before system shock? Have to say I dont agree with that list at all.

Back
Top Bottom