Pricewatch!

For any strategy or castle sim enthusiasts out there, the entire Stronghold collection is a whopping 75% off on GamersGate, only today.
Couldn't resist at a mere €5 price tag…

I know I'll never get to play it, but got it anyway :)

I know I'll never get to play it, but got it anyway :)

Pretty much my thought - I know I own bits of the collection scattered about, but getting it all at once for that price is something I couldn't pass up!

For $5, seems worthwhile. This series has been piquing my interest for years. Is it a standard RTS panic, where mad clicking and hotkeying skills are more important?

For $5, seems worthwhile. This series has been piquing my interest for years. Is it a standard RTS panic, where mad clicking and hotkeying skills are more important?

As an RTS inept, I remember trying the first Stronghold, which started easy enough, but suddenly (3rd mission or something) it was too tough for me. About the time I started making macemen or something. But I'll give it another try.

GOG has added Spellforce 2: Dragon Storm, if anyone is interested.

I have to question the $10 price tag though, considering you can find Spellforce Universe for around $20.

A reminder that not everything on GoG is a bargain ... I remember Serious Sam coming out at $5.99 each when Steam had them regularly for less than that for the pair and the HD versions were under $10 and thinking - you can't be serious!

Here's another deal

Mass Effect 2 - $5 at Direct2Drive. I probably want the hard copy, though, but am tempted…

Nice find, thanks! Going to get this as I have been meaning to play ME2.

Its £5 from the UK site. Anyone know a way how I can buy from the US site please? When i enter the US site URL, it just direct me to the UK one. Also if the US site will take UK credit card?

Can't help you there, sorry.

There are some amazing deals at GamersGate:

Civilization IV Complete - $6.24

All the various Painkiller packages, including

Painkiller: Pandemonium (all 4) - $10.24

Steam Summer sale has Oblivion for $6.80

Magicka original for $6.50

steam has a lot more than that on sale.
worth noting on direct2drive is the stronghold collection for $5. great way to try out or get refreshed for the immenient stronghold 3

hey Thrasher - in regards to stronhold the original was actually billed as a castle-sim. its definately not a clickfest and really is a combination of sim/rts/and city builder. all of the games usually have some form of economy and military campaings/modes that allow for different gameplay. it really is a unique series and although stronghold 2 lacked somewhat the fun of its predecessor, legends was fun though disjointed. here's hoping after all these years they've found the magic again.

I'll let you know when I finish downloading it Lucky Day...If this sale is anything like the winter sale i'm going to end up with well over a dozen games, many indie by the time its over.

Stronghold is a great game, Crusader is good fun too. It's just part 2 and Legends where the trouble comes in. Great castle / medieval life sim (in the beginning missions), great setting and graphics, laughably bad AI in almost every sense of the word. And you cannot escape battle, even in the "economic" campaign of SH2 you'll be fighting w/ and against irretrievably poor AI w/ your own glass troops. I dont think any game has further disappointed me more than Legends did. Theyre both still on my drive, and I fire them up occasionally to see what I was thinking when I last cursed at them, just to realize once again there's just far better games out there to spend my time playing. You'd be better served playing Age of Empires 2 and Age of Mythology then SH2 and Legends. Theyre buggy, slow, annoying games w/ needless busywork heaped upon often downright infuriating combat against enemies who cannot effectively do anything that the game is built around - primarily siege warfare..

That said, the original stronghold and crusader are well worth the money. Just prepare to be disappointed w/ the latter 2 installments. I'm looking forward to Stronghold 3 being awful as well, they'll undoubtedly still have retarded AI once again that cannot even build, defend, or siege effectively - albeit at night.

Last edited:
i f'd up. i bought the collection off direct2drive forgetting that i'd already got the one off gamersgate earlier in the week. and i own all the boxed versions except stronghold crusader extreme... the gamersgate version is giftable if anyone is genuinely interested let me know.

I bought the collection, but the last one, Legends, keeps failing installation because of a CRC error. This after a redoing a complete download, too. :(

Eschalon: Book I & II are 75% off on Steam ($3.74 & $4.99). Worth getting?

Edit: Oh yes, well worth getting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom