Blackguards - Review @ CalmDownTom

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
CalmDownTom reviews the second chapter of Blackguards Early Access version.

Visually Blackguards is fairly impressive. However the soft focus and blooms often get carried away and make what is supposed to be a dark world rather dream like. I appreciate the art though and it is consistent throughout the whole game.

The games interface was a problem for me. Without proper tutorials the UI was fairly cumbersome and item management a chore. Speaking of tutorials, the game was fairly difficult; not overly so but enough to keep me on edge. This in of itself would perhaps be something to congratulate the game over. However with such dense stats and abilities I couldn’t help but feel that I was perhaps levelling my character incorrectly or that I was missing the opportunity to use them to the best of their abilities. This is great for RPG trailblazers who like nothing more than to delve into the game mechanics and wrestle out optimal builds for each play style. However if you are looking to pick up a fun RPG without any pre-planning this may put you off.

Blackguards is a good solid game. It perhaps misses a few of its loftier ambitions and I doubt it will be remembered as a classic in years to come but if you are looking for a good turn based RPG I wholly recommend it.
More information.

I had to start all over on this game, because when I got to the louse queen battle, I couldn't win it after several tries and got frustrated. So then I found out on the Steam Forums, that there's this poison you can poison her with, if you did the quest to get the poison, which I missed.

So I started a new game, so that I could hopefully build up my party better now that I had a better mastery of the game, and get the poison for the louse queen.

Now I am back to battling the louse queen. And now the problem is that I can't figure out how to give her the poison. I actually killed her last try, but then the little lice overwhelmed me and I lost the battle once again, grrr…

I still love this game. It's challenging, but that's part of why it's good

I had to start all over on this game, because when I got to the louse queen battle, I couldn't win it after several tries and got frustrated. So then I found out on the Steam Forums, that there's this poison you can poison her with, if you did the quest to get the poison, which I missed.

So I started a new game, so that I could hopefully build up my party better now that I had a better mastery of the game, and get the poison for the louse queen.

Now I am back to battling the louse queen. And now the problem is that I can't figure out how to give her the poison. I actually killed her last try, but then the little lice overwhelmed me and I lost the battle once again, grrr…

I still love this game. It's challenging, but that's part of why it's good

Not sure if I was just lucky or what but I beat her on the first try without anyone dying except for you know.

Not sure if it's a repeatable strategy but I just let the queen munch on my Mage healing when necessary, while the rest of my team killed the crypt lice then ganged up on the queen and she went down quickly.

Didn't know about a poison. Not sure if I got it or not, was it the unknown crimson potion you find?

So far there are some challenging fights but I wouldn't call the game hard. Proper character build is pretty important though.

Also it is critical to keep proper spacing, use your environment to your advantage and it's almost always the best tactic to set your guys up and let the monsters come to you. In most fights there are places in the corners where only 1 or 2 monsters can hit you in melee or other places to make bottlenecks so you can deal with the monsters 1 or 2 at a time.

Back
Top Bottom