Risen 2 - Review Roundup

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Readers have sent in a handful of Risen 2 reviews over the last week or so, so I'll collect them here.
Thrasher notes PC Gamer's review, which is rather negative and carries a score of 61%:
Fetch quests are endemic to Risen 2. The store-guarding frog man of that example asked me to collect six smashed boxes washed up on a beach from a wreck, to recover the most important parts of the ship. I stepped over perfectly useful anchors and oars in order to collect all six boxes, each as arbitrary and seemingly useless as the last. Filler quests don’t get much more thrilling as the game goes on, either. Mooching around a tribal village, I was asked by a woman stirring a pot to collect offerings for a festival from four people. Three of those people stood no less than ten paces away from her. The fourth was 30 seconds up the road. Whatever was in that pot, it must have been incredibly important.
Daniel points out the German-language review at GBase, with a score of 8/10.
Newman sends word of the review at GamesDot.org, with the rather high score of 88%:
Either way, the game you will finish as it will never manage to bore with uninteresting stuff you like many other AAAAA++ titles from big studios these days. Piranha Bytes produced a fun to play well polished pirate-adventure-rpg mix bred game which will bring back fond memories of games such as Ultima Ascension, Monkey Island and Gothic at least but still come fresh and piratey. Which is hard to do if you think about it. Also no bugs invaded my game this time around and neither did they in the previous Risen so this does away with the other meme about Piranha Bytes.
...and I'll thow in the Zero Punctuation review, with the usual humour.
More information.

I just want to say that I found the PC Gamer review atrocious, but a datapoint in the decline of gaming journalism (I may have posted that in another thread).

I just want to say that I found the PC Gamer review atrocious, but a datapoint in the decline of gaming journalism (I may have posted that in another thread).

Why do you think that?

I enjoyed Risen 2. I'd give it a good+, or 80-85. It wasn't as deep or as long as some previous games by those guys, but it was enjoyable. It's good entertainment and fun. It's a complete story, and better balanced than Risen 1 IMO.

__

It's ok, I got bored about 60 hours in, (yeah I'm slow) and then quit to play something else.

I managed about 200 hours on Skyrim before becoming bored.

Daniel.

Risen 2 is also anachronistic – bordering on racist and sexist – in its portrayal of women and the island’s indigenous tribes. Patty is forced to work in a kitchen early on in the story, because – as your nameless hero asserts – she is a woman, after all.

Hope that reviewer stays away from history books. His sensibilities will be offended again and again. He should stick to Xena Warrior Princess which has girl power in mega doses. Look away from Risen 2. Look at Xena!

PC Gamer gave GTA 4 a 92 on metacritic. Guess they were ok with the bitchs and hoes getting shot and slapped around in that game.

I think PC Gamer's review is closer to the one i trust the most ( Angry Joe's ) , although i like sexism and racism in games i think i will stay out , 61% is realistic IMO

How can you agree with the score if you haven't even played it yet?

How can you agree with the score if you haven't even played it yet?

That's a very good question. If you haven't played it you simply don't know what you're talking about.

Also, keep in mind that this is the reviewer (PC Gamer) that gave Dragon Age 2 a 95 or so. Like I said, nex ttime I see this reviewer I will run for the door. ;)

I bet PB didn't place enough ads and give journalist freebies to PC Gamer. ;)

That's a very good question. If you haven't played it you simply don't know what you're talking about.

Can I please frame this? You guys making this arguement do that all the time.

"Piranha Bytes produced a fun to play well polished pirate-adventure-rpg mix bred game which will bring back fond memories of games such as Ultima Ascension,"

Does this idiot realize how bad Ultima 9 was? A fool and idiot.

Back
Top Bottom