Thorvalla - Starts Kicking on Monday

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Kickstarter for Thorvalla, the RPG from Guido Henkel and Neal Halford will be launched next Monday.
The exciting new RPG collaboration from game designers Guido Henkel (PLANESCAPE TORMENT, REALMS OF ARKANIA) and Neal Hallford (BETRAYAL AT KRONDOR, DUNGEON SIEGE) launches on Kickstarter on Monday, November 19th. Please join us in spreading the word to your friends, fans, and everyone else who loves computer role-playing games. A new adventure is beginning!

For our VIRTUAL event, we're just asking that everyone drop by our Kickstarter page, and if you like what you see there, send out the link to your friends. Please send out the message far and wide, and feel free to share this event as well!

The link for the Kickstarter page will be available on Monday...
More information.

For all the many hours I pumped into "Star Trail," hunting for remedies for numbskull and battlefield fever, Guido here's my money....

(PLANESCAPE TORMENT, REALMS OF ARKANIA)
(BETRAYAL AT KRONDOR, DUNGEON SIEGE)

Strange mix of games.

Also looking at the MobyGames and Wiki pages for both devs, I learned that Hallford worked on Sony MMOs, make indie films and write books. That Henkel he's an heavy metal guitarist and writes novels.

Well, that he knows how to play the guitar can be heard via the ROA soundtrack. ;)

Planescape Torment and Betrayal at Krondor! Those were, perhaps, the two best designed and written games of their day. Not to sound crude, but this duo could shit on a plate, and I'd likely buy it.

Nooo...! My wallet, she can't take anymore!
Damnit, couldn't they wait until after christmas? I really think I'm not alone being strapped for cash in november/december!

Well, that was fast.

I'm curious as to how good their pitch will be though. There have been too many half-assed attempts

Maybe I should be happy that some of the KSs I am currently invested in don't seem to meet their goals... But let's see what they have first. I'm not buying on names alone (neither devs nor past games).

One of the reasons they went with a Kickstarter now rather then later I believe, is that Kickstarter is very slow during January through March right after the holidays. My boardgame publisher Gamesalute who has published about 60 plus boardgames through Kickstarter tracks the campaigns and has talked to me quite a bit about campaign timing importance. So Thorvalla would have to go on Kickstarter now, or wait till early April.
I was discussing this with Jimmy Diggs, former writer for "Star Trek: Voyager," "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine," and now the creator of a steampunk TV (web) series, "The Crypto-Historians." Check it out at:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/The-Crypto-Historians/368130539933983

who had Neal's Sword and Circuitry Studios film his TV/Webseries project.
We were discussing if they could get a hold of "Notch" Markus Alexej Persson, Swedish video game programmer, designer, and owner of Mojang, the video game company he founded alongside Carl Manneh and Jakob Porser. He is the creator of Minecraft and has a following of about 1 million people on Twitter, and will post about games he is interested in.
He promoted Wasteland 2 enormously just by posting on his Twitter account. As a matter of fact, all of these Kickstarter projects could use "Notch"'s Twitter promotions.

Notch isn't God, he couldn't save "Shaker". I think he may think twice about putting himself on the line for a loosely defined project now, so contacting him might be a good move later.

But that guy's spambox must require a mainframe server all by itself, so he may not be that easy to reach.

Right, well Notch's promotion would definately help. And I will find out how well made the Thorvalla Kickstarter video is, as well as there whole campaign. Neal and Guido have contacts at InXile, so they should be able to get Notch's attention with InXile's contacts with him. And yes, doing this sometime when the campaign is in full swing could generate peak interest.

Notch isn't God, he couldn't save "Shaker". I think he may think twice about putting himself on the line for a loosely defined project now, so contacting him might be a good move later.

But that guy's spambox must require a mainframe server all by itself, so he may not be that easy to reach.

I'm concerned with the timing of this kickstarter. Many people will be cash strapped due to buying Christmas gifts(not even to mention having spent a lot on other previous kickstarters). It seems december would be the worst month that I can think of to have a kickstarter end. I think some people who really want to get in on this kickstarter(and not just paying the minimum amount) may be tempted to tell their families, you know what, lets celebrate Christmas a month or two late, Thorvalla is a bigger priority. ;)

Back
Top Bottom