Gothic 3 Does Risen love translate to Gothic 3?

haberman13

Traveler
I loved Risen, but have never played previous PB games.

Will I like Gothic 3?

What are the main differences if any?

I also love games like Fallout 3 and Morrowind.

Thanks

I've only played the Risen demo so far but from what I've heard Risen is very *very* much like Gothic 2.

If you loved Risen you'll enjoy any of the Gothic series, they are very similar in gameplay. For Gothic 3 the community patch (1.73 currently) is highly encouraged though, it was a very buggy game at release and the people behind the CP have really done an amazing job.

Give Gothic 2 + NotR (if you can find it) and Gothic 3 a try, you'll be happy.

Yes, only consider Gothic 3 if you get the Community Patch 1.73. It makes a world of difference, you'll ruin a nice game for yourself if you even try it without the patch.

The game itself, well, some people who liked Gothic 1 and 2 didn't appreciate G3 all that much. I for one, did. Almost as much as G2 which still stands as The best RPG i've spent my time with.

The list of similarities with Risen is long; level-up system, alchemy, smithing, dialogs, NPC behaviour even down to them making gestures while conversating… etc etc.

Combat on the other hand is different. Risen seems to have a more "intelligent" combat system, more enemy tactics etc. Although the Community Patch does make enemies make use of that in G3 to a certain degree, as well.

It's well worth finding and playing, that's my opinion.

The only thing I can add is to play in sequential order: 1 - 2(Night of the Raven) - 3(w/1.73 patch). There is a deep, rich story that begins and unfolds in G1 and continues through G3. Yes, G1 graphics are outdated but they arew still nice IMO.

Risen took a "back to the roots" approach after Gothic 3's failure. So it's really much closer to Gothic or Gothic 2 than to Gothic 3.

Gothic 3 is basically Risen with a much, much bigger world and 5 steps in the direction of Morrowind in terms of gameplay. So less depth, an enomous variety of side quest, a gigantic very open world, an almost non-existing story. Unfortunately the game was unfinished at release and the combat system had serious issues. The community patches fixed the further, but the latter they could only slightly improve. So the game is decent now, but you have to accept that combat is simply not interesting. The escape route here is to play a mage and just shoot everything down.

The fist two Gothic contain the gameplay you like from Risen. Especially Gothic 2 looks like a Risen from 2002. The only big drawback apart from the outdated graphics are the controls. They are a bit demanding and definitely non-standard and unintuitive. A lot of people here, including me, will tell you they're actually pretty good due to the big amount of control you have, but most reviewers will say they suck. So prepare to spend 15-30 minutes on learning the controls.

So prepare to spend 15-30 minutes on learning the controls.

I ditched Gothic 2 three times back in the day because i couldn't kill the first wolf i met. I thought the controls were designed for people with either five hands or none at all, that nobody could get a hang of it. Happy i stuck with it, mastered it, and found my all-time fav RPG to this day.

It happens.

The only thing I can add is to play in sequential order: 1 - 2(Night of the Raven) - 3(w/1.73 patch). There is a deep, rich story that begins and unfolds in G1 and continues through G3. Yes, G1 graphics are outdated but they arew still nice IMO.

Yes, definitely play them in order to get the maximum enjoyment from the storyline. Purchase the Gothic Universe collection, it'll be the best $30 you ever spent.

As it stands, I think Risen is superior overall.

Had Gothic 3 been finished and had it had a decent combat system, I think it would be the superior game.

But that's from someone who values freeform big open worlds more than semi-linear storydriven games, which is where Risen would take the lead if that's your preference.

As it stands, I think Risen is superior overall.

Had Gothic 3 been finished and had it had a decent combat system, I think it would be the superior game.

But that's from someone who values freeform big open worlds more than semi-linear storydriven games, which is where Risen would take the lead if that's your preference.

That's the biggest bonus for me personally - freedom throughout the entire game instead of being dragged towards the main plot by brute force. I don't think the G3 combat system is all that bad anymore with the latest Community Patch. It really helps a lot. A simple wolf could stunlock and brutally murder a level 30 Paladin before, i remember the frustration. Not anymore.

There aren't any quick evade moves like there are in Risen, points where points are due, it was fun fighting in Risen. But it's not bad in G3.

Whatever one thinks of G3 and chooses to play it or not, stay well away from Forsaken Gods, the addon/expansion/whatever. Trying to enjoy it is like smiling when you've just stained your underwear. No can do.

Not at all convinced that Risen is a better game than G3. Obviously being able to actually run is a big plus, but Risen is only half a Gothic game IMO.

Not at all convinced that Risen is a better game than G3. Obviously being able to actually run is a big plus, but Risen is only half a Gothic game IMO.

After the initial "wow, this Risen is nice" faded away in Chapter 3, i remembered all the nice things G3 offered throughout the game. Surely not the greatest Gothic ever made, but after figuring Risen had absolutely zero replay value, i couldn't help but to reinstall Gothic 3 with the latest Community Patch. Off i go. There. Now.

I never managed to completely finish G3 because of how boring and buggy it seemed. I enjoy great stories, worlds that actually feel believable. Risen is a much better game technically, combat-wise and story-wise.

In G3, I didnt have the feeling of accomplishing anything. It was just "Oh, just another village to liberate". Let's do the misc fetch this and that quests. *Yawn*...

Sure, the world is big... but empty.

In all these games. the world is the star. I can't remember a dman thing about the sleeper, or the dragons, or Adanos, but I remember great swathes of the landscape from all four games.

Back
Top Bottom