Wasteland 2 - Post-Funding Update #32

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
InXile Entertainment posted a new post-funding update. The first bit of news is the game is delayed(no surprise there). Secondly the date for the beta is in October.
I wanted to give you all an update on the progress of Wasteland 2 and to answer some of the questions I have received on production. I can happily announce that we remain well financed for development, thus allowing us to ship a product without compromise. This is primarily due to our disciplined spending, project planning and the benefit of our back catalog sales to cover any extra product features and content we loved.

One of the unique aspects to our crowd funding campaign is that we greatly overfunded which is wonderful in allowing us to create a larger experience, one that is in fact quite epic in size. It could well be the largest RPG I have worked on to date. Of course there is an inherent struggle with the original date hovering despite our greatly increased budget and design. In fact, we learned from this lesson on Torment in adjusting our end date as the monies increased and the stretch goals were met. It’s also important to note that we do not profit from the monies raised from crowd funding as we take 100% of that money (plus extra money in our case) and put it into the game, a game that we can be proud of and one that can become a classic.

We plan to begin beta testing in October.

You have helped make this game a reality and you will be with us to the end in shaping the final piece through your comments. The best moments in a reactive RPG come during this phase, which provides for touches and details that could have never all been captured in the upfront design. The beta testing will be critical to help us hone in on finalizing a game that can become a classic. And with your help and input we will release the game when it’s ready.
More information.

It's a bit of a bummer that we will probably be waiting until 2014 for the finished game, but it means that it will be more polished and bug free, so it's worth it anyway :). I am very glad that I gave money to this project.

I'm disappointed by the delay, but not surprised. It seems to be par for the course. It sounds like the development is progressing well, though -- no signs of a trainwreck. That being the case, as long as they have they money they should take as much time as they need to polish the game. I'm sick of seeing good games that could have been great with a few more months to mature.

I'm disappointed by the delay, but not surprised. It seems to be par for the course. It sounds like the development is progressing well, though — no signs of a trainwreck. That being the case, as long as they have they money they should take as much time as they need to polish the game. I'm sick of seeing good games that could have been great with a few more months to mature.

Yes, it is refreshing to see that a great developer making a great game, has the time to do it right and release something that they are pleased with :) It is frustrating when publishers push a developer to rush a release, and we get lots of bugs and cut content.

The delay goes down a lot smoother after the great videos they've released showing gameplay and the UI. As long as funds really aren't a problem, I don't see any cause for concern about a delay...

Yes, coming in on budget and with good quality is a more important factor than it being delayed by a few weeks or months. Hopefully…

Might just make christmas/holidays which will be good for sales.

6 weeks off schedule is fantastic for an open world RPG. If you have ever done programming of any kind and especially tried to make a game you would realize how monumental a task an RPG of that type is to create.

I don't really get irritated with delays since I tried to code my own game but with kids, wife and full time job and spending a couple of years on it I realize I would never finish it unless I quite my job and hired 10 more people and worked on it for 5 years.

They just sent me an email saying my shirt will be shipping soon. Maybe I will post a picture of me fighting off evil mutants (my wife) in said shirt. :)

Yeah, the game seems to be coming together well, with all of the screenshots and the video :) It hasn't been broken in half like a couple of other kickstarter games.

Yeah, the game seems to be coming together well, with all of the screenshots and the video :) It hasn't been broken in half like a couple of other kickstarter games.

Yeah. I really think Double Fine, in particular, lost control of their development process. It sounds like they got too excited when their Kickstarter went stratospheric and wound up expanding the design so much they overshot the budget. Now they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Something similar may have occurred with Shadowrun Returns. At least there we'll be able to judge the results for ourselves in a week or so.

Well, Shadowrun Returns was originally going to feature a section in Seattle and a section in Berlin as part of the main game, but some time after the kickstarter they decided to release the Berlin part later as a paid DLC. Still, what is in the game looks good so far from the videos, and I don't regret buying it :)

Well, Shadowrun Returns was originally going to feature a section in Seattle and a section in Berlin as part of the main game, but some time after the kickstarter they decided to release the Berlin part later as a paid DLC. Still, what is in the game looks good so far from the videos, and I don't regret buying it :)

Pretty sure you get it free if you kickstarted it though....don't we?

Back
Top Bottom