Mass Effect 3 - Unveiled at the VGAs

Personally, I couldn't care less. These days, Bioware makes my teeth itch.

I hear you Huggy Face. The kids at IGN go CRAZY for this game " best game ever" . I dont get it???

I'm about to start ME 2... only because I'm waiting for the New Vegas patch. Really, this news doesn't bring me the pleasure even ME 1 did... let alone KOTOR.

Well, whatever direction their games may take, Bioware *does* know how to make good teaser-movies. Their original launch trailer for ME2 still captivates me. It will be interesting to see how the ME-universe will turn out in this final part to the series.

I will disappointed if there's still no femshep trailer. We are living in 2010 now, the "there are more boys so we favor them" argument isn't valid.

I will disappointed if there's still no femshep trailer. We are living in 2010 now, the "there are more boys so we favor them" argument isn't valid.

I agree but the stats they released recently stated more people play a male shepard. I think there was a news post a month back with the stats.

Yes, FemShep accounts for about 20% of playthroughs despite being 300% better.

I don't think ME3 was really a surprise, to be honest. The guy who did the voice on that trailer sounded a bit like a younger Robin Sachs (Zaeed Massani in ME2, Carth's captain guy in KotOR and Harrowmont/Seneschal Whatshisface in Dragon Age, for those who don't know who I mean), but it could just be the London accent talking.

I'm not a huge fan of Earth being the target, but in a way I can see why they've done it. Youmanity (Sorry, can't stand The Illusive Man) is, thanks to Shep, the biggest threat to the Reapers and their plans. What better than to target the home of Youmanity and perhaps even weaken Shep's resolve? It could be a psychological move rather than a tactical one, intended to instill fear and despair rather than weaken their defenses.

I agree but the stats they released recently stated more people play a male shepard. I think there was a news post a month back with the stats.

And every market department EVER would see that (and the rampart success of Sims) as the definite call to make a femshep trailer to increase their market. You do not make ads for the choir.

Well, whatever direction their games may take, Bioware *does* know how to make good teaser-movies. Their original launch trailer for ME2 still captivates me. It will be interesting to see how the ME-universe will turn out in this final part to the series.

I agree, and I don't understand why there's so much negativity regarding this.

Well, while the 3d render was top notch I do not think this trailer come anywhere near the ME2 launch-trailer, even after finishing the game I look back to it and it's still awesome. Probably one of the best trailers I have seen for a computer game. But maybe the ME3 launch-trailer will be better.

For context, here's the female shepherd fantrailer that remake the original with a femshep instead; 0:18 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMAa0DMcRfE

To me, that ME3 trailer looks like it was done by Blur, not BioWare.

They did the Sacred Ashes trailer for Dragon Age, and one for ME2 involving Thane, Grunt and Shep.

Of course they're not doing a female Shepard trailer. Regardless of the fact that you can make one in the game, they need a recognizable protagonist, and not switch around between male <-> female all the time. Besides, who cares.

Despite really enjoying both ME1 and 2, my interest here is lukewarm. I'm not even sure why. It's probably because I've realized the whole "importing your character/consequences" boils down to the appearance of your character + a few side quests/points of interest.

I honestly hope resetting everything won't be an option. No Shepard death, no amnesia. If you import your character, you import your character. Make the decisions count.

Also, for a long time I've had a theory regarding the story of ME3. It's Dragon Age all over again: You have to roam the galaxy and gather allies, usually one of two (for example the Geth vs the Quarians), similar to Elves vs Werewolves. Once you've gathered three allies (Council vs Cerberus, Geth vs Quarians, Krogan vs Rachni or some such thing), you're ready to face the Reapers.

You are, unfortunately, probably correct in that prediction, Maylander. That (along with the shift from RPG with shooter elements to pure shooter gameplay) is why I didn't like Mass Effect 2 as much as 1. I just don't like stories that revolve around the player needing to convince others to save the world/galaxy with you. (Although, strangely, it seemed to work for me in DragonAge...Maybe it's because the factions in the game had legitimate problems that were believable in the sense that these problems needed to be dealt with at home before the factions could march to war.)

Maybe it's just me but...wouldn't everyone be working towards the goal of saving the galaxy, even if it wasn't a completely united effort? Why is your character the only one who seems to care? In the first Mass Effect, that idea made sense because no one really knew about the reapers yet, but the way the council (if you saved them) still ignored the reaper threat even after seeing evidence that the threat existed and leaving the player as "the only hope for saving the galaxy" nearly broke the immersion of the story for me.
----- SPOILER ----- And then I saw the giant human robot...that officially killed the story.

Indeed, everyone ignoring the threat is ridiculous. The various political factions of Warcraft seem to be acting just as irrationally (Alliance/Horde/massive threat wanting to destroy everything). It has been proven many times that when facing some sort of external threat, especially a big threat, we tend to unite.

In fact, the only way I could ever imagine the human race working together as one is if we're facing some sort of alien race that threatens us all.

Of course, such things usually are short lived and the previous problems return after the threat is gone. Still,

It has been proven many times that when facing some sort of external threat, especially a big threat, we tend to unite.

And politicians exploit this. Like the German-French war in the 1800s, which led to the declaration of Germany as a proper state/country.

Or declaring Jews as "foes" within inner Germany during the Nazis.

Or declaring terrorists as terrorists during the Bush era ...

I declare bioware the enemy. Now give me your money.

Or declaring terrorists as terrorists during the Bush era …

No one needed to declare anything. America was united against terrorists the second that 9/11 happened. Liberals and conservatives wanted blood for what happened, myself included. Invading Afghanistan was a good decision. All of Bush's actions after that were not.

Back
Top Bottom