RPG Codex - 2006: The Year in Review

Dhruin

SasqWatch
RPG Codex has released their now-traditional Year in Review, poking some acerbic fun at the RPG year just past. Here's an early snip:
On the plus side, there won't be an expansion to Mage Knight: Trainwreck in Slow Motion due to the numerious crimes against humanity committed by the designers who created "a soulless husk stuffed with empty promises and features that you wouldn't want anyway". The game offered its victims an exciting opportunity to suffer through a generic story presented via a series of loosely connected, but linear maps with bored enemies standing still and waiting to be slaughtered for no reason. Hmm, come to think about it, the last sentence describes Neverwinter Nights 2 as well, but that's a different story.
More information.

Personally, I have a good feeling about Fallout 3. First, replacing aging turn-based combat with an intuitive, modern real-time system will revitalize the series.

Oh, I'm just waiting for the day when - let's say in 10 years - people will write :

"Personally, I have a good feeling about Fallout 7. First, replacing aging real-time combat with an thoughtful, modern turn-based system will revitalize the series."

I especially like this sentence :

Gothic 3 is far from being a perfect game, but when a reviewer is thoroughly puzzled why the orcs don’t attack him on sight, blaming it on poor design and being unable to understand that the orcs are a joinable faction, that it’s not a “humans=good, orcs=bad” kind of game, then something is seriously wrong.

I would answer, then : "Then somethin is wriong with the reviewer !" And I think that the author of that article actually has the same point of view, as can be found within the text following the quote from above.

I just guess that reviewers who are not creative enough to actually have the idea that Orcs might be an joinable faction, have played too much (A)D&D games, or games inspired by that system, no matter how loosely or not.

Last edited:
The sarcasm and wit is well done!! I frequently enjoy reading their articles. They even linked to one of my reviews!!!!!! Now that's a first!! :)

It was a good review, Corwin. You've convinced me to buy a DS copy and enjoy the remake.

Thanks VD, glad you enjoyed the game. For me it was the easily the best release of 2006!!

Very, very nice ... between this and Dhruin's articles my ability to actually read these things was restored ... until next year's GameSpy/Spot/IGN crapola comes along.

VDweller said:
a githyanki proctologist
who will remove a two handed sword that got stuck in your ass during a questionable anal game when you were a child
lol butts lol

Yeah, but it was the tail that turned them all on!! :biggrin:

To quote the title of an album by Genesis : "Trick of the Tail".

Great sarcasm, as usuall. My favorites :
Every now and then you are given a dialogue option that can help you avoid 5% of combat in an area, to remind you that it's not a Diablo clone, but a fully blown role-playing game.

In fact, I'm certain that Civ 10 will feature Mass Effect as one of the key technologies you will have to discover in order to move your civilization into a totally different era.

A pretty good article. I personally enjoyed Broken World even if it lacked the companion personalities you had in Dungeon Siege II.

Back
Top Bottom