Gothic 4 - Developer Rumor

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
4Players.de posted a newsbit a few minutes ago disclosing the rumors they have picked up at the Games Convention.
The newsbit says the rumors lead to Funatics as the developer of JoWooD´s upcoming Gothic 4. Furthermore 4Players believes the Austrian publisher will announce this today.
-------------------------------------------------------
Funatics´ track record includes Zanzarah, The Cultures series, Settlers 2: The Next Generation and additional development on Paraworld. The Funatics founders also worked in lead positions on many games by Blue Byte.
More information.

I really don't know what this will mean in the long term, but the fact that they are taking a serious developer means that they do at least see the value in the license ... hopefully that is a good thing.

At least it´s a far better studio than I expected. Funatics has an excellent reputation. These guys worked on classics like Albion, Battle Isle, Settlers 2 (orig.) and Incubation.

Update:

It´s Spellbound (Desperados, Robin Hood)

Producer Jochen Hamma was one of the key team members (first "battle scenery", then producer) of the DSA Nordlandtrilogie ( = Realms of Arkania).

Update:

It´s Spellbound (Desperados, Robin Hood)

Producer Jochen Hamma was one of the key team members (first "battle scenery", then producer) of the DSA Nordlandtrilogie ( = Realms of Arkania).

Well, let's hope this goes well!

although it involves Jowood I can't wait to see more from G4.
I just wonder: what will be the real G4: Pb's or Jowoods next gig :biggrin:

Robin Hood was a pretty decent little game, though what it could possibly have in common with the Gothic franchise is debatable. No doubt it's the Realms of Arkania background that is more in line. They've got their work cut out for them, regardless. :)

I would have prefered Funatics because they are working on consistently high niveau, but Spellbound is also a solid choice. At least a German developer with some RPG background. This means they understand the culture and know the genre basics. Good luck to them. Taking over the Gothic franchise is a great chance for Spellbound.

a great chance and a great challenge too. They have to live up too the living world of gothic but leave the bugs of PB out

Back
Top Bottom