Pillars of Eternity - Publishing Deal & South Park Interview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Rock Paper Shotgun talked to Feargus Urquhart and Fred Wester the respective CEOs of Obisdian and Paradox on the publishing deal for Pillars of Eternity, potential other opportunities for Paradox and the bugs in South Park: The Stick of Truth.

RPS: But it’s an interesting situation to be in. The notion of publishing a Kickstartered project is new. One of the things that you don’t necessarily know is, you had all this interest in the Kickstarter, but is that the full amount of interest for the game? Did everyone who might have thought about buying the game contribute their bit?

Wester: No, not really. For everyone who will pay up front for the game, there are 10 who will buy the finished game. That’s always the math. I wouldn’t call this a traditional publisher-developer relationship either, because that’s very important to emphasize. This is more of a partnership between two strong and independent companies. When we truly publish a game, we go in and fund it from day one and we have a lot of things that… This is a project from Obsidian, by Obsidian, with help from Paradox to bring it to market and reach the maximum audience. It’s different.

Urquhart: I hate the use the way to associate… It’s almost a mindkill for me to say this, but I don’t want to associate the idea of Kickstarter with preorders… It’s not the same thing. However, it is kind of the same. There’s a certain similarity in some ways. There are only so many people who go out and preorder a game versus the people who end up paying for the game, ultimately end up buying the game. It’s just different. So these are the people that… I would love to say that I could say ice to the Eskimos, but I can’t. People need to see proof of something and its success before they buy it. And maybe it’s just our gut. We’ve been doing this a while. Our gut and our hope is that this will work. We could have a conversation in however long and say, whoops, we were wrong! And we’d still be drinking beer and crying.

Wester: On the other hand, it wouldn’t be the first time we were wrong either, so it’s not a big deal that way. I would be kind of devastated if this project tanked, though. When you look at it, it fulfills all the boxes for me as an old-school RPG player. If the game is crap, of course it’s going to fail. But if the game is good and we still don’t reach that audience we want to reach? I would be disappointed. I think this game deserves to be played by a lot of people.

RPS: There’s the slight elephant in the room, which is that on consoles especially, South Park had some complaints about bugs and glitches and whatnot. What ended up happening there? You’ve been pretty adamant recently about having QA locked down. How did a rather worrisome number of bugs slip through so easily?

Urquhart: There were some bugs and some glitches. I don’t mean to sweep it under the rug. All in all, it was a pretty solid game, though. Everyone who bought the game could finish it.

RPS: That’s kind of a low bar, though…

Urquhart: I’m not saying that’s the whole bar. But the first thing to say is, when we talk about this whole thing about how, oh, it’s buggy… 13 hours after it was on Steam, I had people emailing and saying, your game is awesome! So obviously it worked and it worked well. On the console side of things, I can also tell you… It’s hard for me. I can’t give you any exact things, because it’s all one person saying it’s buggy and another person saying it’s not.

All I know, which I even told Fred earlier, is that we passed PS3 with zero points. When we submitted to Sony in America, we got zero points. Which is, you can have 20 points on their scale and get approved. We passed with zero. So on a scale of how buggy [it was or wasn't], to me it was a pretty solid game.
More information.

Obsidian is my favorite developer by a wide margin, and I really enjoy the things Paradox pushes out the door, but when you combine the reputation they both have for releasing bug ridden games, whoooo boy. This could be interesting.

Paradox have improved their quality control a lot since their early days. Crusader Kings 2, Victoria 2, Europa Universalis 3 and 4 were all adequately polished upon release.

Obsidian have also improved since the days of Kotor 2.

"For everyone who will pay up front for the game, there are 10 who will buy the finished game."

Wait, what? They think they can clear another $20-30 million of pure profit?

In general there are a lot of gamers who never do pre-orders and they certainly don't do Kickstarter. I don't know about $30 million but this game could end up being quite successful if it is marketed well and gets good reviews.

I'm not that worried about a buggy release.. Obsidian's games with buggy releases seemed to be due to publishers forcing them to do a rushed release.If they're going to have a feature complete alpha by the end of the month, then it should be pretty polished by the end of the year, which is the estimated release date.

...Wait, what? They think they can clear another $20-30 million of pure profit?

The Star Citizen kickstarter (I mean with post KS funds) is now over $40 millions and release isn't before 2015 so it's not ended. When you think that the initial KS was 1/2 million, it's sort of stunning.

"For everyone who will pay up front for the game, there are 10 who will buy the finished game."

Wait, what? They think they can clear another $20-30 million of pure profit?

What he is saying is that for every pre-order there is 10 more sales on release. That is what gaming studio and publishers have experienced, you can see this as a publisher statistic to see how well a game will sale. There are exceptions, usually caused by word of mouth (both negative and positive).

They currently have around 80k backers (going by the recent video update), so 10x that would be 800k more sales at release.

@Ihaterpg Star Citizen is weird, some people put over $60k into that game easy.

I added the fixed link to the front-page news-bit. It should work now.;) As for the topic of this interview I will repeat what I said from the other thread.

I don't see the problem as Paradox is not a bad a choice. They will handle the marketing and distribution. It will allow Obsidian to focus on the game.

Update: After reading the interview my opinion of RPS has sunk even more.:disappointed:

Last edited:
RPGs also have the distinction of being more of a slow burn than other games. They can sell many copies for many years to come. They have a longer shelf life.

And while I know Obsidian has had some buggy releases, I really think their reputation for it is blown out of proportion. If they'd stop trying to cross over into mainstream markets, they probaboy wouldn't be hammered for it so much by FPS players who make a habit out of bitching about lighting effects on the Steam forums. :p

And while I know Obsidian has had some buggy releases, I really think their reputation for it is blown out of proportion. If they'd stop trying to cross over into mainstream markets, they probaboy wouldn't be hammered for it so much by FPS players who make a habit out of bitching about lighting effects on the Steam forums. :p

I'd say their recent reputation is blown out of proportion, as I had no issues with F:NV, etc. Otherwise, Neverwinter Nights 2, as much as I love it, was a disaster on release. Game-breaking bugs, hacksaw editing, major content missing... I think only Empire Total War was worse on release for me.

I'd say their recent reputation is blown out of proportion, as I had no issues with F:NV, etc. Otherwise, Neverwinter Nights 2, as much as I love it, was a disaster on release. Game-breaking bugs, hacksaw editing, major content missing… I think only Empire Total War was worse on release for me.

I can think of some just as bad releases and strangely they come from Paradox(EU 3, HoI 3).But those days are behind Paradox all recent releases where solid, what worries me is will Obsidian have to adopt Paradox DLC spam policy.

I'm not that worried about a buggy release.. Obsidian's games with buggy releases seemed to be due to publishers forcing them to do a rushed release.
It could be easily true as The Stick of Truth has almost no bugs (I found exactly two that are solvable by game restart and couldn't check the third one reported that the game runs slow as hell for whatever reason on machines with ATI 6800 as I don't have that particular card).

And while I know Obsidian has had some buggy releases, I really think their reputation for it is blown out of proportion.
Total number of all bugs in Black Isle, Troika, Inxile and Obsidian games is less than total number of bugs in Skyrim.

Obsidian did deserve to be called out for bugs, but some others deserved it much more.

what worries me is will Obsidian have to adopt Paradox DLC spam policy.
If Eternity becomes another DLC:The Game, they can forget me supporting any new Kickstarted project they make or buying any of their new games. I really don't care how good the stuff is, I just want the global scam to stop. Of course, I wouldn't object on a proper expansion or a standalone DLC that doesn't touch the core game.

Last edited:
what worries me is will Obsidian have to adopt Paradox DLC spam policy.

Why would they? Paradox was hired to market the game not design what goes into it or how the game is released.

Back
Top Bottom