RPGWatch - New Poll

Dhruin

SasqWatch
In our last poll, we asked about RPG elements. This is always a difficult one, because - as many readers quite rightly point out - it's often hard to separate what makes a game enjoyable.
At any rate, NPC interaction squeaked into first place with 32%, while character development was just behind at 31%. Exploration scored highly with 23% and then questing (6%), combat (5%) and puzzles (a little over 1%).
It's interesting to compare these results with the actual time spent on different elements in the average game - particularly with combat. Do we really prefer NPC interaction that much more - or does it mean the average RPG just doesn't have compelling combat?
This time, following on from a recent newsbit that inspired a few comments, we're asking about your favourite series. Bear in mind the polls only support 10 options so some just had to miss out. Over to you...

More information.

Looks like <10 options to me...

Ok my bad the poll didn't seem to update here.

i don't even see the poll - but i'm also mildly retarded

previous poll results

you ask a very interesting question -- was combat chosen by only 5% because it sucks in games, or because people really don't care about it? so could you please make a poll that will answer this question?

something like..

---

An RPG is coming out that you're really looking forward to. You temporarily gain magical powers and can get developers to greatly improve any one of the following elements of the game before it's released:

NPC interaction
Exploration
Combat
etc.,

Which would you choose?

---

For me, combat can be a killer if it is really bad (see Ultima IX), but it's more just a means to the end. I enjoy a little tactical challenge, but I don't like to have to over think it. I really just want to see what happens next!

For me the combat is make or break, so I found the 5% number surprising as well. Without the combat, I'd be playing an adventure game. And them I do not like, oh no, oh no.

I’m surprised NPC interaction scores so highly, but then with the popularity of Bioware’s output maybe I shouldn’t be. IMO many modern CRPGs are really adventure games. I’m old school; to me a CRPG is exploration/combat/character building with the occasional puzzle. NPC interaction and story are nice to have, but very much secondary attributes - we didn’t have them in my day. Damn kids with their loud music and NPC interaction...

Back
Top Bottom