Links and Stuff

I found this very interesting Apollo 11 Launch at 500 Frames per Second, and a place I wouldn't want to be at that particular moment.

And thinking of it - last saturday I started my petrol powered lawn-and-everything-in-it mower (named "Rammstein") for the first time this year.

Found a similar German-language article today, s I link to this one in English for everyone to read here : http://www.skepticalinvestigations.org/New/Examskeptics/index.html

German-language article : http://www.skeptizismus.de/syndrom.html

These articles / web sites very much succeed in conferming my own presumptions I have developed during the recent years : That what's called here "skepticism" has become some kind of belief-system in itself, and that it is biased.

It is a very interesting read, and especially one that should be especially read by anyone who favours both Ratio and Logic over everything else.

The point is not to prove that things that others regard as "being impossible", because science says that these things just are not possible, but instead the point is that a biased belief system effectively blocks even rational and logic-driven examination and analysis of things that these people belief "are not possible" - thus effectively blocking scientific research by the belief that some things just aren't "possible from a scientific standpoint".

This is nothing but a bias - an assumption tht that things people [b}blieve[/b] but are not proved to be impossible can never be scientifically researched because these people act exactly like religious fanatics, only with the difference that "science" and "logic" is their "religion".

Or, to say it with a German proverb : "Es kann nicht sein, was nicht sein darf" (in English like "things cannot be which mustnot/are not allowed to be").

A REAL scientist shall NEVER be biased, in ANY way.

Yet another study about gaming : http://www.bitkom.org/64799_64792.aspx
Downloadable there are 2 PDF douments, in German language, but with charts I think everyone is able to understand (at least roughly).

Russia in Color, A Century Ago

Rampant Coyote posted a link to some photographs taken in Russia around a hundred years ago. The thing is that they're in color and they are absolutely amazing. The quality of the pictures is almost true color.

From the introduction at the website:
In those years, photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863-1944) undertook a photographic survey of the Russian Empire with the support of Tsar Nicholas II. He used a specialized camera to capture three black and white images in fairly quick succession, using red, green and blue filters, allowing them to later be recombined and projected with filtered lanterns to show near true color images.

Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii was a genius to come up with the process to make these beautiful photographs.

Absolutely amazing. I'm speechless.

My favorite picture is #14 of the 84 year old man, Pinkhus Karlinskii, with sixty-six years of service. Supervisor of Chernigov floodgate, part of the Mariinskii Canal system.

There is something about his eyes and stance that shouts honor and integrity, plus the fact that he was doing that job for over half a century.

It's a little surreal to see that far back into the past with almost crystal clear clarity.

On a side note there was a debate going on in the forum on why no one smiled back then. You'll get all reasons from Hollywood making smiling popular, it wasn't until family portraits became popular that people started to smile, you had to hold a pose for a long time so it would be close to impossible to keep the smile in the exact position, photographers were rare so they took the picture taking seriously, and last but my favorite reason of all is that smiling people were considered idiots. You gotta love that :D.

Anyways, I think the main reason was that they had to hold a pose for a lot longer than a second. I know I couldn't hold a smile for however long it took to take all three pictures with different colored filters. Although, picture #12 has an old lady whose expression is priceless. I think one poster said she has "happy eyes".

On Cm's request I'll link some sites which are quite useful for uploading big files and having many mirrors.Ideal when one wants to share videos or mods.
Mirrorcreator Probably the best there is with too many mirrors and information on the maximum file size.
multiupload Very popular and easy to use,uploads to the big filesharing sites like Rapidshare and Multiupload

Filevo.com is also a good shot.

Henrietta Lacks

What is death or life if something from you lives on ?

Here's compilation on youtube of people getting scared while playing Amnesia. Funny stuff. I especially loved Jenomorph's freak out :bigcry:

BTW, I would of sounded just like JohnnKnodoff if I had filmed myself playing this game……"OMG, Don't come over here…don't look at him!!!" Glad I'm not the only one that talks to themselves when they get really scared. Never did finish it and I don't think I ever will.O_O

Back
Top Bottom