Torchlight - Review @ The Escapist

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Positive review of Torchlight from John Funk.
Bottom Line: Torchlight absolutely nails the formula that made Diablo so addictive. The combat feels satisfying, your pet companion is a welcome addition to the genre, and there are plenty of randomized dungeons to explore in the search of the rarest treasure there is. It might not have the depth (or variety of content) of a larger game, but $20 is more than a fair price - and it'll help soothe your twitchy index finger that longs for adventure, with Diablo III so far away. It's addictive and superbly well-made, and well worth the price.
Recommendation: $20 is a steal for this game. Get it.
More information.

Did the journalist version occur so much sooner or did he 'review' the game after playing it for five minutes?
After the Risen 'review', I find it hard to take this particular guy too credible.

It's great if you focus on price.

It's less great if you're looking for something beyond a step back into nostalgia-land with cute cartoon graphics and impressive production values.

Singleplayer + mindnumbingly dull skill design = not really that great.

I think this is for casual users, or those who have forgotten what really made the genre great.

I downloaded the demo last night. Initially I was impressed by how polished it seemed. The music is one of the strongest points for this title and is just as good if not better than anything the composer had done previously for Diablo 1 or 2.

However, it was the wonderful dark, eerie music that was playing behind the cartoonish, exagerrated graphics that made me start to doubt I would buy the game. The two just don't match, and for me it wrecked the atmosphere of the game. If it makes sense, the music is so dark and "serious" it just doesn't mesh well with what you see on screen. The music creates a dark, gritty atmosphere, but that's undermined by the comic-style graphics. Maybe it's because the music is so remniscent of Diablo I want to actually be playing Diablo III, I don't know.

This is not to say it's a bad game. It is fun after all. Since Diablo 3's announcement I have found myself looking for a good Diablo clone to play until it comes out. I've tried Dungeon Runners, which was just horrible and will not satisfy what I'm looking for. This is a better game. But with the mismatched graphics and music, and no multiplayer (yes I know it's coming in 18 months, hopefully D3 will be out by then), I may buy the director's cut of the Witcher instead with that $20. I'll give it more time and see.

It's been bugging me and finally I figured out what game this reminded me of- It was Darkstone. That had cutesy graphics in it too. Except, after that, there is no comparison. Torchlight is so much better, polished, and I think the music is just right.

It seems every item piece has a different look, you can give spells to your pet. They can heal and summon skeletons so you can have your own mini party. You can buy scrolls that will open up bonus portals when you use them and there is at least a bit of a story in it unlike Fate. It has one glaring flaw and that is no Multiplayer. They are making a multiplayer which will be free to play in the future so that will be address.
I know there are fans of this genre who will love this game but if that is not your cup of tea, then just pass on it because it is not a traditional rpg

Darkstone? I guess in a way it's like darkstone. One great thing about that game is every new game had different quests to it. They were sorta fun too.

I really liked the demo - played for a hour or tow today. If I wouldn't be awaiting Borderlands this week and Dragon Age next week I'd already bought it.

Well, looks like I'll wait until I haven't any other games to play. Then I'll buy Torchlight (and Trine - have to play that one too).

It's great if you focus on price.

It's less great if you're looking for something beyond a step back into nostalgia-land with cute cartoon graphics and impressive production values.

Singleplayer + mindnumbingly dull skill design = not really that great.

I think this is for casual users, or those who have forgotten what really made the genre great.

I guess you didn't get the memo about the full set of developers tools it comes with.

I guess you didn't get the memo about having a point when trying to make one?

Sorry, i'll explain it for those that aren't too quick on their feet. Torchlight comes with the full set of developers tools, which means the entire community has full access to re-creating all aspects of the game. This includes Art, Sound Animation, Tilesets, Randomization, Quests, Items, Classes, Skills, etc,. Considering the already considerable size of the modding community for Torchlight alone, we'll be seeing something great in regards to re-playability akin to the Neverwinter Nights, but on an ARPG scale. So taking that in to account, and considering all those who have actually played the game give it high accolades, I think the view of "not really that great" is a little bit premature.

I've gotten a few hours into Torchlight (character level 20) and its quite enjoyable. As a dual wielding warrior I'm feeling a little overpowered though, and by now i spend as much time sorting and identifying items as I do fighting it seems.

Still, I feel that for the money it's well worth it.

Sorry, i'll explain it for those that aren't too quick on their feet. Torchlight comes with the full set of developers tools, which means the entire community has full access to re-creating all aspects of the game. This includes Art, Sound Animation, Tilesets, Randomization, Quests, Items, Classes, Skills, etc,. Considering the already considerable size of the modding community for Torchlight alone, we'll be seeing something great in regards to re-playability akin to the Neverwinter Nights, but on an ARPG scale. So taking that in to account, and considering all those who have actually played the game give it high accolades, I think the view of "not really that great" is a little bit premature.

Oh, so the fact that content can be created by the community changes the existing content?

I didn't think so.

I've played the game, and let's just say I don't have any doubts.

What others think of it, I'll leave to them - which is something I highly recommend as a general position.

I have played the demo, -eh- I'm currently playing the demo...

It is great little game, I find. Basically it is just an updated Fate game; not surprisingly since Travis Baldree, the maker of Fate also worked on this game.

I find the game very enjoyable...and might buy it in the future at some time.

Caddy and DArtagnan it's just a game right? This one surely ranks as a diversion, and was released in part to help fund their mmo using the same IP/Engine. I don't think battle lines need to be drawn on this one brothers :)

Ok, stupid question…. I see no option to save my game, is it just an auto-save?

*Edit* I see, saves upon exit…

Last edited:
Yep it's just autosaved from wherever you quit. It seemed weird at first, then it made sense. It fits. Very easy game to get into and out of.

Caddy and DArtagnan it's just a game right? This one surely ranks as a diversion, and was released in part to help fund their mmo using the same IP/Engine. I don't think battle lines need to be drawn on this one brothers :)

I'm drawing no battle lines, man ;)

I'm just stating my opinion and if someone has a problem with an opinion, it's hardly ok to expect me to change it. There's a reason I have it, afterall.

I tried the demo - after all the rave reviews I was curious. But the graphics style doesn't appeal to me, and I am not such a fan of hack and slash anyway - I'll wait for Diablo 3. So I chose to finally buy Eschalon instead... (not that that has great graphics, but it takes itself seriously, at least).

As a fan of the roguelikes, I'm enjoying torchlight. Clearly they've borrowed much from the old-school text-only RPGs. Torchlight is rather addictive in a good way. The item drops are pretty fun, the map layouts are nice. The combat is a bit frantic for my taste but I'm managing. Hard to see what's really going on in a fight. I think a lot of people will love Torchlight. I missed Fate and its other predecessors (besides D2).

Back
Top Bottom