Tactica Fun ways to use the Environment

Tactica: Maiden of Faith

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch
Here are some of the things you can currently do:

* Elf archers can hide in the trees making it easier for them to hit, and harder to hit them.

* Axe or Hammer wielding chars can smash/chop down the tree, hurting the elf, and hit others with the falling trees…

* Statues can be moved and or pushed down from roof-tops hitting unsuspecting enemies down below.. or blocking paths.

* Crates etc, can be crushed or pushed… or even hiding places!

* Trolls and other strong opponents can throw things such as rocks… logs…. or even smaller characters like half-lings or dwarfs....

I want more suggestions of fun ways to use the environment! Keep them posted in this thread please!

- Light cart of hay on fire, then push it down hill. A classic.

- Light straw roofs on fire with flaming arrows. "Everytime they film a Robin Hood movie they burn our village down!"

- Toss someone off of a building to be impaled on the roof spire of another, lower building. Or to go splat in the street down below. No magical barriers protecting the player.

- Setting trees on fire to burn out said Elven Archers. By the end of a day, the entire Elven forest will burn!

- Fastball Special. Tossing Dwarf or Halfling at an enemy. Would probably require making it so the player could have stupidly strong characters.

- Underwater stuff. Toss a fireball into the water to create a cloud of steam. Blast it with ice to freeze it and make a bridge (or kill/trap those in the water). Hit it with lightning to electrocute everyone in the water. And of course, give the player reason to swim underwater; with secret passages, sunken chests, and mermaids.

Is it a sign than practically half of what I came up with was using fire?

A thing that really impressed me in Nox, and which I have never seen this far, was the line of black powder on the floor ... leading to a heavy stone one wouldn't have been able to "lift" otherwise ... Fire on the one end - I could really see the flame following the "powder-line" ! - kaboom on the other side !

If you happen to make this true as well ... :D ;)

But I think it could be difficult to implement ...

What about bringing trees down do block a road ? Would the enemies be hindered ? If so, in how far ?
Would they be able to climb that fallen tree in order to jump over it - or just run around it ?

Another, really weird thing would be to place a really beautifully looking statue on the way ... With an enemy slowing down, with the desire to rather stop and adore the statue than follow his or her foe ... :)

A really dangerous thing would be fire in general. Light a branch which has been chopped off a tree, and throw this burning branch ... making fire damage or so ...

Or what about rolling things ? Rolling Stones ( :D ;) ) and logs ...

In the demo I saw a new kind of "trap" : Marbles ... put down on the floor ... With the result of the enemy having to do a check of a talent I forgot, or the enemy will fall down ... Like in nature ... - Well, I could imagine this with pebbles, too ... :)

- If you have push/pull abilities, then you could also push/pull the elf from the tree to fall and take damage. Or to move a unit back into a flaming/acid square.
- Druid types could have the ability to animate vegetation, so whoever's near/on a tree will now have to fight it.
- Break a rock into pebbles -> ammo for a telekinesis spell, or push/pull an enemy into it and he/she will have penalties to movement or accuracy.
- Melt a space with ice, the unit on it will fall in the hole, needing time to get out of it.
- Bridges, the perfect place for ambushes... from both sides! Or pull your enemies into a bridge and then cut the ropes!
- Illusory terrain. Have enemies (or you) create an illusory terrain that either a PC or NPC would use for something, and then it turns out to be an enemy or a trap. Like in your example of a tree, the elf will move into the tree to climb it, only to fall on a spiked hole.

- Light straw roofs on fire with flaming arrows. "Everytime they film a Robin Hood movie they burn our village down!"
Men in Tights? Can't quite place that quote and it's bugging me. Pardon the thread derail.

Men in Tights? Can't quite place that quote and it's bugging me. Pardon the thread derail.

We're men! We're men in tights! We roam around the forest looking for fights!
We're men! We're men in tights! We rob from the rich and give to the poor, that's right!
We may look like pansies, but don't get us wrong or else we'll put out your lights!
We're men, we're men in tights. We're always on guard defending the peoples' rights!

* Trolls and other strong opponents can throw things such as rocks… logs…. or even smaller characters like half-lings or dwarfs….
Disgaeads is a tactical RPG on DS and develop a lot this idea, all the game is non serious (the only DS game that succeed give me some solid good laugh) and the development of the idea in fights have the same way, non serious.

You could throw team members to make them move further, you could throw enemies on other and have the result a morph, you could throw some team members on enemies to use them as a bomb, and probably more. The game seems rather cool but the fights controls are awful and even if it's turn based and you have all your time, the controls are such a hassle that it's quite boring.

Here are some of the things you can currently do:

* Elf archers can hide in the trees making it easier for them to hit, and harder to hit them.

* Axe or Hammer wielding chars can smash/chop down the tree, hurting the elf, and hit others with the falling trees…

* Statues can be moved and or pushed down from roof-tops hitting unsuspecting enemies down below.. or blocking paths.

* Crates etc, can be crushed or pushed… or even hiding places!

* Trolls and other strong opponents can throw things such as rocks… logs…. or even smaller characters like half-lings or dwarfs….

I want more suggestions of fun ways to use the environment! Keep them posted in this thread please!
  • Put the tree in fire to have the elf flee the tree in hurry.
  • Throws someone on the elf in the tree to make the elf fall and the someone replace him in the tree.
  • Allow empty a barrel and enter in it for a same use than tree but not only elves but more long range.
  • Flame arrow or spell on the barrels… explode…. Doom. If enemies can use such trick let a flee delay before the explosion.
  • Allow build a solid wall to fight less enemies at same time, classical from Roguelike games.
  • Build a solid wall to block a path.
  • Dig into a wall or something to find a hiding place or again find a place where less enemies are fight at same time, again a classical Roguelike most often based on a limited resource.
  • Dig into something to open a new path, classical Roguelike.
  • Allow shake some trees to make fruits fall on ground to setup a slippery ground.
  • Walk on a cut tree trunk to roll on a row of enemies and damage them/make them fall or lost their weapon.
  • Use slope to make stuff roll on enemies with more damages.
  • Allow characters or some to use slopes to roll on enemies.
  • Use slope to run faster and bash some opponents.
  • Allow swimming underwater to reach long range opponents, this slowing but giving much better protection.
  • Some tall herb could increase some protection value, same for some small solid obstacle increasing defense against long range.
  • Allow pull a tree branch and release to hurt enemies.
  • Use the pull tree branch for some character catapult usage, same effects than a character throwing another character.
Well I didn't intend to list serious idea, it's just a mixed bag.

Back
Top Bottom