Today is ...

And I just remembered, the strangest thing yet - the latest Pet Shop Boys album is titled… "Yes"... they are still recording (believe it or not)...

There's a song from 90125 called "Changes" - appropriately.

More strangeness - Buggles' Geoff Downes left Yes to form Asia with Yes guitarist Steve Howe while 90125 was produced by Trevor Horn (no longer singing) - who later went on to produce Fankie Goes to Hollywood, Grace Jones, and the Pet Shop Boys (among others)….

Steve Howe plays currently in both Asia and Yes, whenever the other band is on a short hiatus.

Reminds me of the old Yes drummer, Bill Bruford who left for King Crimson after "Close to the Edge", but like Wakeman has been in and out of several Yes lineups since then. I read an interview (a long time ago), where he said that when he needed money he played with Yes. When he wanted to create/play MUSIC he played with King Crimson. Which is understandable, contrary to Yes, King Crimson is still very creative (IMO).

And FWIW: One of the tracks on the Pet Shop boys album is "Beautiful people". Probably (not!) a cover of "I've seen all good people" from "The Yes Album".

... tuesday. So what?

1628: The swedish warship Vasa sank on her maiden (Iron? - sorry, they're playing here in bergen tomorrow) voyage after sailing less than a mile. Ya... eh ... sorry.

1316: The second battle of Athenry takes place near - surprise, surprise - Athenry. Wherever that is. No I won't look it up.

1628: The swedish warship Vasa .. sorry, already did that one.

1861: Battle of Wilson Creek took place, for some reason not near Wilson Creek, at least according to the 1st paragraph of the Wikipedia article. In stead it happened near Springfield. D'oh!!!

1948: First Candid Camera TV show. Streets, shops, cafe's and your car were never the same after that.

1628: ... ah .. forget it!!!

Hey Pibbur, did you hear what happened to the Swedes in 1628!! :)

YESS… eh … yes.

Things happened today as well

3114 BC: The beginning of the mesoamerican long count calendar (which coincidentally ends, along with Earth, in 2012). An earlier version of said calendar exterminated the dinosaurs in 64977890 BC.

1492: Rodrigo Borgia was elected pope after Innocens VIII. Rodrigo, who took the pope name "Alexander VI" wasn't paricularly innocent, having 4-5 children outside marriage, who eventually were appointed this and that by their holy father. The Borgias (especially Cesare, appointet cardinal at the age of 18 - clever lad that one) had a tendency to assasinate people around them, among others the husbands/lovers of their sister Lucrezia. I compare the Borgias to the bacterial genus Clostridium which among others contains the species responsible for tetanus, gaseous gangrene, and I think C. botulinum still hold the record for producing the most toxic substance known to man: botulinum toxine (marketed as Botox).

1929: Babe Ruth hit 500 home runs in baseball, another one of the weird sports practiced in the US (and Australia?)

1934: Alcatraz (civilian version) opens. Among the first guests was Al Capone, who like Cesare B was (probably) responsible for an assasination or two.

1950: steve wozniAk was born.

Last edited:
I don't even know if it's correct since you don't put any sources, but it's interesting nonetheless.
Wikipedia is my friend. But for some of the things I admit I've been a bit … creative.
Also, if you want I can find things for you to correct :p

You mean there could be other errors? *shivers* :) By all means, go ahead.

Apart fom the pain, the Vasa was a lucky hit for later Archaeologists ! They learned soooooooooo much about medieval ships from her !

1687: Duke Charles of Lorraine defeated the ottomans in a battle which may have occured near Mohács. Some kind of super-hero obviously, as there were 60000 ottomans present at the time.

1981: IBM PC was launched, exactly 9 years before the most complete skeleton of a T.Rex dinosaur was found.

1829: Perth@Australia is founded, beating Chicago@us by four years.

Finally som swedish news:
1323: The Nöteborg treaty settled the border between Sweden and the Novgorod Republic. Ya... eh... sorry.

Don't know. But a short lived largest-meat-ball-world-record was set in Mexico 4th of August 2009. Sorry I didn't mention that one.

1981: IBM PC was launched,

There's an Easter Egg nobody seems to know about.

In the game "Dark Forces : Jedi Knight" aka the second Dark Forces game, there is a droid called 8t88. Spell that out, and you get the name of the PCs first microprocesor, the 8088 ...

… (shorter of breath and) one day closer to death

1888: One of the first recordings of music is publicly played by T Edison's phonograph. It's called the "The Lost Chord".

1908: The first beauty concert is held in Folkestone, UK. To the music of How dare I be so beautiful (first 1 1/2 minute of the video) by Genesis.

1948: During a cricket match, Don Bradman makes a duck. Man, this sport never ceases to surprise me. What next? Badgers? Turtles? Poisoned pigeons and squirrels?

I can't find anything to say about the swedes today. Probably this particular day didn't exist over there. Oh, sorry, I was wrong: Robin Söderling was born today, approximately 26 years ago. I'm (of course) not sorry because he was born. I'm sorry for making the mistake about a non-existing swedish day. Which is not the same, in fact it's SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Nudge!

It was certainly rare for Bradman to makes ducks, he preferred double tons!! :)

.. who cares. But:

1601: Pierre de Fermat was born, although it wasn't proven until .. eh sorry... That was INCREDIBLY lame.

1908: Fantasmagoria, the first FMV game by Sierra was, eh sorry.. the first animated cartoon is shown in - of all places - Paris.
1959: Quake Lake, the first game in the series by Id.. eh sorry .. a lake actually, was formed by the 7.5 Yellowstone earthquake

1970: Venera 7 was launched, the first spacecraft to succesfully transmit radiosignals from another planet. The attached image (from Wikipedia) shows landing sites of several Venera probes. Reminds me of an RPG map, partially completed. But what game?

According to Wikipedia nothing happened in Sweden on this particular day.

Attachments

• 800px-Mapa_de_sondas_sobre_Venus.jpg
    800px-Mapa_de_sondas_sobre_Venus.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom