Sacred 2 - GenCon Preview @ GameSpy

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameSpy has a preview of Sacred 2 after playing a little at GenCon. Their biggest concern is the complexity of the character system, which sounds like a plus to me:
As we worked our way through the Dryad's opening quests, we took the opportunity to examine her initial powers, which was where the confusion set in. At the very beginning of the game, every character has 15 separate powers to choose from (along with the specific ones derived from the deity), although only one can be placed into the character's quick slot at any given time. These powers range from totems that fire poisonous arrows to a root that freezes an opponent in place. Easy enough. The kicker comes as the dryad levels up and the player realizes that each of these powers has its own skill tree that allows the player to completely customize their power depending on how they decide to play it. An AOE attack, for example, can have its duration, power or number of targets modified so a moderate meteor attack that hits five enemies can be changed to a weaker version that hits 10 or narrowed into a devastating single strike.
More information.

Oh god, heaven forbid there be choices in a hack and slash.. Jeez man what do people want now a days.. Nothing?!?

I am so disgusted by games, and I used to live to play..

Skills are the backbone of an arpg--like loot is the meat--and I salivate over the idea of finetuning fifteen skills--however, I'm slightly taken aback by the idea that "only one can fit into the character's quickslot at any given time." That just doesn't sound right for some reason.

You start with one, magerette. At level 2 or 3, you get a second slot, level 10 or so a third, etc. I'm playing Sacred Gold and this is how it is in that game as well. I'd prefer my skills to be choosable from the mouse wheel, but that wasn't an option in the original. You can also combine skills into a combo attack, spell volley type deal. My battle mage casts Ghost Meadow, Stoneskin, and Cataract of Agility as one combo spell. This basically allows my spells to regenerate very fast, gives me better armor and makes my charcter about 30% faster all in one spell cast. The downside is that I can't be in combat while casting this spell, because I'd die while my character was casting all the spells :)

Ah, thanks, crpgnut. That makes a bit more sense. It's been quite awhile since I played Sacred--it was when my last computer was dying, and I got distracted by some newer games and never finished it. Looks like another one I may have to revisit before the latest model hits the showroom floor. :)

My battle mage casts Ghost Meadow, Stoneskin, and Cataract of Agility as one combo spell.
Very similar to the "defensive" combo I setup for my BM. Think I added the magic shield and/or the flaming body spells too.

So they're carrying forward that player-annoyance contrivance of the quick slot by level thing? That's too bad. Don't see the point in limiting the player UI by treating it as a leveling reward. :S Makes no sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom