ZeniMax MMO - The Elder Scrolls Online Footage Leaked

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
A video has turned up online showing almost 20 minutes of The Elder Scrolls Online, presumably captured from a recent beta event. It demonstrates the character creator, dialogue, and the player dashing about a sandy environment, fighting wolves and doing emotes.

Zenimax has shut down multiple YouTube mirrors and will no doubt continue to do so, so check out this alternate embed quickly before it also vanishes. Also before anyone says we dont cover MMO's this one is an exception.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

More information.

Everything looks pretty poor. Even 5 year old MMOs looks and feel better than this. I think someone made a poor quality video on purpose.

MMOs are always made to run on crap hardware. Only Age of Conan was different. All in all I think it looks quite polished for a game that's 8+ months away.

High risk = high profit. Or the company ruined and ppl from Bioware fired as this will probably end like SW:TOR.

The future of MMO is MOBA (ARTS) genre and I really can't understand Zenimax didn't make a game in that genre and named it MMO Arena.

You can see spawning monsters right beside you.

It looked like fun, but was killed off by spawning monsters beside you.

Actually, lots of high profile MMOs are known for not performing well on subpar setups.

Games like EverQuest 2 and SWtOR ran like crap on average systems upon release. In fact, they still do.

This looks pretty horrible - probably the player who leaked this had some setup/driver problems and jerkiness not helped by fraps, also poor gamma setting. Compare the gameplay sequences from this video of last November: http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/11/08/the-elder-scrolls-online-gameplay-video (make sure to set it to 720p).

Plus what's with the play name "Worst Youtube". That and the playstyle suggest a younger user (!?) might be responsible.

As first poster suggested, some people like to trash upcoming games by showing them in a bad light. Happened with Guild Wars 2 as well, which as it turned out has good graphics… No way that Zenimax are going to release something that looks like that on anything that passes for reasonable hardware.

Most high profile games look like crap mere months before release. It's the nature of developing games with so many different pieces that each need to be polished to near perfection.

A useful analogy most people can relate to is documenting a big project for school or work - with several people writing different pieces. If you take all the work and just splice it together without effort or care, and don't spellcheck etc. - it will read like absolute shit. However, if you spend a few hours putting all the pieces in the right places and polish up everything for coherence and consistency - you can turn a mess into an impressive piece of work.

It's much the same in AAA development with hundreds of people involved.

Only developers like Blizzard can afford to spend the extra time to polish and repolish over and over again.

I wouldn't fret over this. It's a VERY high profile game and if there's one thing we can almost be certain of, it's that the production values will be strong. It's the design and long-term appeal that I'm sceptical of.

Well I am sort of looking forward to this game mainly because of the Elder Scroll name and I do hope the actual game looks and feel much better than the video.

I read some where that ZeniMax took a loan of about 300 million (scary!) to fund this game better have high production values!

Plus what's with the play name "Worst Youtube". That and the playstyle suggest a younger user (!?) might be responsible.

The guy youtube name is Worst. He's a Youtube troll.

@azharal - That explains a lot

@Lost - It will look and feel much better than that video :). $300m would seem on the high side: They have 250 people working on it, over 6 years, and that would cost very approximately $100m ($60k pa cost of employment x 6 x 250 = $90m). Add other costs and it's probably in the region of $125m-150m, at a guess. Still not something you'd easily get funded on Kickstarter.

Couchpotato has broken the cardinal rule about reporting MMOs in the news.

Any higher power want to smite this capricious tuber? :p

Marketing can easily double the budget if sufficiently aggressive.

I doubt they will spend very much on marketing. I know Arenanet didn't for Guild Wars 2; they relied mainly on the buzz generated by the open betas on the social media and the press coverage they generated.

I doubt they will spend very much on marketing. I know Arenanet didn't for Guild Wars 2; they relied mainly on the buzz generated by the open betas on the social media and the press coverage they generated.

Do you remember when they had the Skyrim campaign?

Trust me, they'll spend A LOT of money on marketing. I'd expect it to be one of the most expensive marketing campaigns ever.

Couchpotato has broken the cardinal rule about reporting MMOs in the news.

Any higher power want to smite this capricious tuber? :p

I'll bring the holy whip +2, but the game generated so much interest in my screenshot news bit. Don't worry though I will restate it's not my intention to post more MMO news.:blush:

Call me naive, but I am approaching this game as another Elder Scrolls game to fill the long void between "normal" Elder Scrolls games, and am interested in playing it in that capacity. Ie, there's a big open world to explore and adventure in, and as always, I'm eager to go check it out. So what if there are other folks running around in it?

If it turns out that the SP play sucks, then I'll stop playing. But they seem to be shooting for that "Elder Scrolls experience", and until that's proven to be bunk, I think covering it here is fine...

Graphics in this particular vid is one thing (because as you guys say, it could be deliberately represented in a bad light), but this whole thing looks and feels EXACTLY like WoW. Only cartoony outdated visuals are replaced by semi-realistic-LotRO-like outdated visuals. The screenshots from a few days ago also looked quite ugly for me. And I was kinda looking forward to this...

Back
Top Bottom