Space Siege - Demo Impressions @ Gamebanshee

magerette

Hedgewitch
Gamebanshee has a feature article up giving their post-demo impressions of Gas Powered Games' upcoming action rpg, Space Seige:
Space Siege seems like it’s going to be a little bare-bones. From what I can tell, you’ll only be able to play as Seth Walker, and you won’t have any options for what he looks like or how he starts out. The game is going to use a classless system, where you’ll pick the skills you want to build up, but it looks like the only major decision you’ll have to make is whether you’ll stay completely human or if you’ll add some cybernetic components to your body to become more of a machine. Your status in this way will determine which skills you can learn, which weapons you can use, and perhaps which quests you’ll be able to go on....
The demo only lasts for about 20 minutes, and it doesn’t allow you to gain a level. It also doesn’t show much in the way of character interaction, so while I’ve seen that you get to use some sort of a sidekick robot named HR-V, the robot didn’t make an appearance in the demo, and so I don’t know what it adds. And thus I have no idea if there’s any sort of interesting story involved in the game, or characters you can care about, or even some HK-47-esque moments to chuckle over.

At about 1 gigabyte, it’ll probably take you longer to download the Space Siege demo than to play it. The game doesn’t look bad in the demo, but it appears to be a little more basic than I’d prefer, and it doesn’t do anything to differentiate itself from the likes of Shadowgrounds and Space Hack. I enjoyed those other games well enough, but they were both bargain titles, and if that’s all Space Siege ends up being, then it would have to be considered a massive disappointment coming from the talented game-makers at Gas Powered Games.
More information.

I had zero interest in this game to start with, yet tried the demo today out of utter boredom, but geez, was I disappointed -- even depsite my previous lack of interest/enthusiasm. This is utter and total CRAP, to the very last byte. Unimaginative, uncreative, over-simplified and plain boring.

I can't fathom how this managed to go through QA. I mean, even DS2 was waaaay better than this. To come up with something far worse years later speaks volumes of GPG.

Love it.

GPG said they were going to dumb down Dungeon Siege, and all you critics out there (you know who you are!) said,

What? That's ludicrous! How can you dumb down the sequel to a basic point-n-click action game? A sequel which added nothing to game released FIVE YEARS earlier!

Well, aren't your faces red now, doubters!

Just shows there's nothing humans can't accomplish when they set their minds to it.

Back
Top Bottom