RPGWatch Feature: Dishonored First Looks

Well, if Arkane doesn't have its own PR department, then the hype will be generated by the same folks who hype Oblivion and Skyrim :D

Hmm, some kind of open-world version of Deus Ex with magic? I'm in. It seems to have a sort of Steampunkish vibe to it as well. I try not to get too excited because it sounds cool, because it's very easy to come up with a description of a game that sounds awesome. Making it work and implementing it all well is another matter.

And yeah, I still have all but the first 3 hours of DX:HR to play. It's one to savour. the sort of game where you get excited to fire it up. I'm determined to make it last, though. Games as good as this come along about as often as George R.R. Martin novels!

There's something I don't like about this game, as well as other sequels and so-called spiritual successors to System Shock/Deus Ex games (BioShock, Human Revolution, BioShock Infinite and Dishonored). All of them have unrealistic and exaggerated art styles. It's odd, because their gameplay is supposed to be immersive, while the graphics and presentation break immersion.

There's something I don't like about this game, as well as other sequels and so-called spiritual successors to System Shock/Deus Ex games (BioShock, Human Revolution, BioShock Infinite and Dishonored). All of them have unrealistic and exaggerated art styles. It's odd, because their gameplay is supposed to be immersive, while the graphics and presentation break immersion.

I don't agree.. There's a lot of really immersive animated movies, some more so than non-animated ones, so art style has nothing to do with breaking immersion. As for games, i think i prefer when they dont try to look "realistic", it ends up fake looking anyways and the flaws are so obvious they tend to break immersion. If a game isnt going for the realistic look you don't look for those realism flaws and immersion is kept. Imo.

Closest i've seen to realism (for faces/animations) is the tech they used in L.A Noire. But i doubt we'll see a game using that technique and with real actors again any time soon. I bet that tech + actors alone was at least 50% of the budget.

One of my friends had an interview with Raphael Colantonio (co-creative director of Dishonored) in GC. I can't upload the video for at least a month, but these are some of the facts about Dishonored that I found interesting:

+ As an assassin, you will have some targets but you can avoid killing all of your targets altogether. If you don't like killing people, you can find alternate ways to eliminate/get rid of the targets without killing them.
+ The gameworld is based upon and advanced version of the old London. They looked at London in 1666 (and the plague) for base inspiration and then pushed it forward and came up with a different kind of technology compared to what exists today in the real world.
+Industrial revolution in Dishonored has been possible using 'Whale Oil' and all of the gadgets in the game world work using whale oil.
+ There are 3 or 4 endings, you can get revenge or try to set things right.

I'll look forward for this game, it sounds interesting for me ^^ it feels like Deus Ex meets Dark Messiah in an "Arcanum" world.

Back
Top Bottom