Dungeons - Released and English Demo

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Kalypso has announced Dungeons is available in NA:
Kalypso USA Releases Dungeons to North American Retail

Kalypso USA Releases Dungeons to North American Retail

Being Evil has Never Felt this Good!

Ridgewood, NJ, February 8, 2011 - Kalypso Media is pleased to announce that their humorous strategy game, Dungeons, has shipped to North American retail and digital distribution today. Dungeons lets players don the boots of a fallen-from-grace Dungeon Lord, who must entice foolish heroes into his deceptively beautiful and equally deadly custom-crafted dungeons. Once an adventurer enters the player’s creation, the fun really begins as players must first entertain, then capture those heroes, stealing the adventurers’ precious soul energy in order to build even more elaborate and sinister dungeons. For more information about Dungeons, please visit http://home.dungeons-game.com.​
...and a demo has been released in English - Blue's has a list of mirrors.
...although GameSpot wasn't impressed in their review (5/10):​
It's often said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In the case of Dungeons, its imitation of Dungeon Keeper doesn't so much flatter as it does take the game out on a date and buy it breakfast in the morning. Nearly everything, from the character you play as to the world map that expands as you spread your reign of evil, is lifted from the Bullfrog classic. There are some new ideas, but more often than not, these make the game worse. These include lifeless hack-and-slash combat, an unrewarding leveling system, and tedious resource gathering. An injection of humor and some good voice acting take some of the pain away, but it's not enough to save Dungeons from being a dated trip down memory lane.​
More information.

What a nice coincidence. I started downloading the demo seconds before seeing this post.

Anyway, early reviews seem to indicate that the game is actually not as similar to Dungeon Keeper as was expected. Did the developers/publishers attempt to market the game towards fans of the Bullfrog game? Or were most previews simply misinformed? I'll fire up the demo tomorrow morning to find out...

I'm pretty much disregarding the Gamespot review right now, since they seemed to have judged it as a DK clone. Other previews (such as the one over at RockPaperShotgun) are actually calling the game more similar to a Tower Defence game.

I think the term "inspired by" would be correct ...

So far, I've heard two kinds of responses from gamers:

"It's not like DK - so I hate it."
"It's not supposed to be like DK - and it might be good."

No one seems to really like it - but I could be wrong.

Waiting for more comments, as well - but my gut feeling tells me it's a pretty crappy game.

I played a couple levels last night and liked what I saw so far. I was drunk by the 3rd level, so I wasnt playing much of anything by that point. I liked the look of the game, and the gameplay is basically farming heros for their souls. Which I have to admit is interesting, it's a different take on the dungeon lord formula and I have to say that i kinda like it. So far.

Your dungeon lord runs around and fights, and has spells at his disposal. That's kinda fun too.

All that is probably the same thing youve read everywhere else, so this post is pretty much worthless i guess until I spend a few days on the game and can give better insight to the later "hell" levels and such. I'm going to fire it up again tonight.

That description seems cool but on another part I'm slightly disappointed it seems not be an advanced or original Tower Defense.

In fact I read few comments about the game from players that seem like TD and they complained of too much micro management and that the game favor micromanagement by rewarding more through manual hero kill by the dungeon lord than through other way more TD like and planned than action like.

I have to admit that micro management rarely please me if it isn't a lot tune down in comparison (for example) to classical RTS.

Back
Top Bottom