Diablo 3 - Censored in Germany

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Several sites report that Diablo 3 will definitely be cut in Germany. Blizzard confirmed it.
More information.

I'm curious about the details, especially that China list. And I haven't heard too much recently about games getting on the Index in Germany, is that still being practiced? Either way this only means that I'm not going to buy the German version as I abhor censorship.

I wonder *what* exactly will be "censored" ?

Too much blood ?

The more information link is a bit misleading ;)
Yes. :D But it's auto-generated. We don't see it in the editor.

I've updated the newsbit with a quote from Wired.

Or different color blood. Like green.

Well, D1 had blood, if I remember this correctly. I played it for a while, too.

Until it became to repetitive for me - and I sensed no real story-line.

Well, D1 had blood, if I remember this correctly. I played it for a while, too.

Until it became to repetitive for me - and I sensed no real story-line.

There was atleast one german game featuring green blood. I think it was carmageddon.

For some diablo is like manna from heaven. However its not for me (either). I rather play diablos with story i.e Divine Divinity. Now thats a diablo done right!

I think it was zombies and green blood in the UK version and robots with oil in the German version, or something like that. I remember playing the zombie version here in Finland.

But 'gore' is not blood alone, it can be severed limbs, rolling heads, popped-out eyes, incandescent entrails oozing from dismembered limbs, the splattering of intenstines and other foul beastly organs into a showering rainbow of irredescent goo as well as the expected crimson blood trickling down dungeon walls. Gore is obviously at its best when accompanied by bone crunching or egg cracking and other squashy sounds. I am normally partial to a hint of gore providing it isn't overdone. Yet the Diablo's are the perfect game scenarios for blood splattering hack-and-slash gore and therefore it must not be seen as lacking or showing subdued gore levels. Diablo must maintain this image, you would notice by its absence the lack of gore, it wouldn't be the real Diablo without it. For this reason i fully expect and endorse the full use of all kinds of extreme densities of gore where Diablo is concerned, yet still with a gore level slider or on/off in-game menu switch. (or out of game .ini tweek capability if need be)...for the faint hearted or for parental supervision if so desired.
There can be a credible case for use of proportional to game genre gore.

The first two Diablos were uncensored. Diablo 3 will have more realistic graphics though.

I think it was zombies and green blood in the UK version and robots with oil in the German version, or something like that. I remember playing the zombie version here in Finland.

That was Command / Conquer, if i remember correctly.

If Diablo and D2 were left uncensored in Germany, then I wonder if there's really such a big difference between those games and D3. I mean, do you remember the dungeons in D2 where Mephisto dwelled? - heaps of dead bodies!

Hm, but I seem to remember this very cool animation from a gameplay video where a bunch of cultists killed some women in a ritual; the women were sort of dancing in a circle and there was this explosion of blood which then swirled and gathered in the center, summoning a demon.

I wonder if it will be possible for Germans to patch the game out of censorship and straight into Diablo's bloody realm...

I wonder if it will be possible for Germans to patch the game out of censorship and straight into Diablo's bloody realm...

Uh, don't let this sentence be read by a religiously strong person ...

It just screams "symbolism !" to me ...

I played the humans with red blood version here in Finland. It was the Mac port, though.

Back
Top Bottom