Rampant Games - What Would You Update?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
In light of the X-COM "re-envisioning" on the way, the Rampant Coyote is asking what classic game youd choose to remake, which I thought was a cool discussion topic:
Me? I’d be terrified about it, but I’m going to pick Ultima 7. Knowing full well that some folks will accuse me of heresy, what I’d like to see changed beyond upgraded technology and UI would be the combat system. Something more like “turn-based with pause” from the Infinity Engine games (Baldur’s Gate, etc) with better AI and a slower pace so things like actually casting spells in combat would have a chance to succeed. Since nobody ever seemed to feel that combat was really that good in the first place in Ultima 7, I don’t think that sort of thing would violate the spirit of the game, or the series. I would also like to see stat-check style mechanics supplement (not entirely replace) the elements of the game that were more twitch-driven… dodging fireballs and that kind of thing. This way even those who prefer a more thoughtful pace in their RPGs wouldn’t get badly penalized for not playing it like a an NES game. And really, what made Ultima 7 work so well was the world and the story, not the RPG mechanics… which to me always felt a little half-baked.
More information.

Would love to see that. Would like to see it kept isometric though. Love U5 Lazarus and U6 Project, but I prefer isometric.

I was going to say Privateer….oh wait! I'm already doing that!

You know, that game crashed every 10 mins for me back in the day, but it was fantastic nonetheless… Hope you can pull it off!

I would say Jagged Alliance 2, but alas, we are about to see that!

Otherwise I'd like to see a re-envisioning of "Warlords", which was a game I spent many, many hours playing in the early 90's. Or "Shadow President".

Or a real sequel to Masters of Orion 2.

Daggerfall--without the bugs.

(non-RPG: X-Wing and Tie Fighter)

I don't know about a remake but I would love another Might & Magic game and if it was a remake it should be of World of Xeen.

Sacrifice would be a good one.

I had already replied on Coyote's blog, but I said Ultima Underworld and System Shock with modern controls

If your only desire for System Shock is modern controls, there's a fan-made patch that adds mouse-look and configurable keys.

Starflight...now that would rock.

Gothic 1 and 2 using the engine, controls, and interface of Risen would be spectacular.

Another good one - although I don't think it would be necessary because it has aged very well for the most part - would be Deus Ex with the technology used for Human Revolution. Keep the level layout and soundtrack exactly the same but implement the graphics, animations, better A.I., and smoother gameplay mechanics from Human Revolution.

Unfortunately PB categorically ruled out that they would be interested in a Gothic remake.

Unfortunately PB categorically ruled out that they would be interested in a Gothic remake.

I'm not surprised. I think just about any remake for a classic game is out of the question, unfortunately - and perfectly understandable when the studio of a classic game is far too busy on current projects to spend time on an update. Even when there is an update, it's more of a "re-imagining" where so much of the core game is tossed out the window that it's not truly a matter of "updating" the game anymore. The new Jagged Alliance comes to mind - rather than sticking to Jagged Alliance 2 but with a modern interface and presentation values, the core game has been replaced in an unnecessary manner, overhauling the very elements that made it a classic in the first place.

But anyway, I threw Gothic out there as a "wish list" sort of thing, knowing full well that it will never happen. One can dream though :)

I loved Seven Cities of Gold back then and there hasn't been a game quite the same since then. I would probably play a remake even though I'm not as interested in that kind of game anymore.

PS. I played the remake so if they did it would be a remake of a remake.

Realms Of Arcania with a modern engine, but the gameplay basically the same.
That would be my dream.

Blood omen all the way. nothing can beat that trip.
I'd also go for Diablo 1 with a few tweak to gameplay and depth.

Back
Top Bottom