Risen Axe or sword?

I thought Bastard sword in 1H was 6, and 2H weapons at 8. Might've been 6 and 7, not sure.

Anyway, you have both charge up attack and 2H + Shield at rank 6 Axe.

there are 3 weapon styles:
1. large two handed weapon (where you hold a handle and swing), this does more damage and reach, but makes you easy to hit and can't block most things.
2. one handed weapon, allows shield in other hand, fast strikes… best
3. staff, hold with two hands in the middle, similar to 1.

Swords and axes are found of both type 1 and type 2… type 1 sucks..
the ultimate weapon is an hammer that is considered an AXE that gives +6 to axe (so don't get more than 4 axe) and is of type 2… aka, one handed and fast and allows a shield.

Do not waste a single point on weapon skills until you have gotten 100 str from training… only then can you put some points into it... but i wouldn't until the very end game... (aka, after you maxed out fireball)

I don't agree with that at all. The most unbalanced skill in the game is Axe rank 6, where you turn into a mean-lean-fighting-machine. You don't need more than 30 strength to get the Bearded Axe (48 damage), which is capable of killing most foes in Chapter 1 and 2 with only a few power attacks.

For min/maxing purposes, rank 5 Axe + a ring of Axe +1 is the way to go. You can have that almost right away, and then use Shield + Bearded Axe for a long time. It's so much better than staves, 2H weapons or mere 1H weapons + shields (especially due to the range on power attacks).

from what you are saying it sounds like you actually agree with most my points. You seem to disagree on either one of those two:
1. go to 100 str before putting any points into weapon fighting skills.
2. put 4 points in axe max, since you get +6 ultimate weapon.

for point 2, it should be obvious that if you put a few more points early on, it makes most of the game more enjoyable up to the "last bit"… You can get two +1 rings and base skill 4, that way you don't waste any learning points, you get your awesome attack, and can take the rings off later when no longer needed.
Personally, id max out fireball and forget about axe altogether (until after i maxed out fireball)

As for point 1. Going from 30 str (the min you say is needed) to 80 str is 50 LP. going from axe 1 to axe 6 is 50 LP…
STR 80 gets you better weapons combined with extra damage on every strike. (and you can freely change weapons without losing anything)
Rather than STR30 with one special attack that is very unbalancing according to you. and requires you to stick with a sub par axe for the majority of the game.

Now you can always invest in axe AFTER getting the str 100.

Anyways, we can agree to disagree on that one.

Actually, it's not 50 points, it's 40, since you'll be using the Axe +1 ring you get at the start. Also, I would much rather have a fighter with 60 Strength + Rank 6 Axe than one with 100 Strength and Rank 2 Axe. Running around with a slow 2H weapon through most of the game means severly gimping yourself - the smooth, fast 1H combo with a shield is just that much better, both when fighting humanoids and beasts. Especially block is incredible, and almost a must-have for anyone who decides to go melee. I completed it once as a Warrior of the Inquisition with a staff, and boy that was hard compared to shield + weapon. I had to use a lot of frost crystal spells to freeze my enemies, or I wouldn't stand a chance. Ashbeasts especially were tearing me apart in melee.

The damage output at 60 strength + a good axe is more than enough to beat anything you come across, especially since you'll hit a whole lot faster (more hits = more damage) and take significantly less damage.

Yes I am using the 96dam War hammer now but will be pumping up my axe training at every chance. Groups of wolves are really tough as I am still slow. Getting used to rotating as I swing though. Its great fun in corridors though - esp against skellies, I can take them out like skittles!

Only 30 LP to go, 20 LP if I go get the second axe ring. Something for when I get home tonight!

Being slow at hitting is simply suicidal against tougher opponents unless you always manage to line them up. You'll do much better once you get rank 6. Remember to always block by default when fighting (just hold the right mouse button down at all times unless you're doing something specific), and no enemies should be able to hurt you. Then you can simply hit when you see that the time is right.

To get a 2nd ring (I advice you to get it as fast as possible), go up behind the bandit camp, past the ogre. Jump up to the left, you'll face a lot of wolves. At one of the edges, you'll see across a chasm where there's a tent. Fly over using levitation, and you'll loot a 2nd ring in the chest there.

Cheers for the tip, I know where you mean. That ogre smacked me down one too many times .... i'll just run past a la Gothic 2.

That should work. If it doesn't, you can always use a Speed scroll to run past him, or a Conjure Skeleton scroll to distract him (should even be able to kill him then, while the skeleton is distracting him).

Just wanted to add the sword progression (just checked it):
L6 = Bastard Sword 1H
L7 = Power attack
L8 = Imp parry
L9 = 2H -> 1H

Back
Top Bottom