Here is an example why iPad can handle complex PC games

Kid? That is the perfect price! Already bought it and will report back!

Please let me know how bad those character movement controls are :)

I'm tempted to get it.

Also, have they added ANY features or content whatsoever?

Please let me know how bad those character movement controls are :)

I'm tempted to get it.

Also, have they added ANY features or content whatsoever?

I severely doubt it!

I have been replaying recently, between Mac and PC, and was reminded of how crappy the trackpads are on 12" HP laptops when doing the turret battle, dying and having to go back to before the Davik battle ... So for me THAT is the bigger concern. But I will let you know tonight (EST).

How is it?

I'm really enjoying it. I never played the PC version (I haven't had Windows for a few years), so I can't really compare them. I like how short the quests are. It fits quite well with the mobile platform and keeps me wanting to play another quest.

It's certainly not very deep, but quite entertaining.

You guys want to know another thing the iPad is good for? Watching play throughs of games on youtube while laying on the bed. Some games are almost as good and worth it just for the story and cinematics to watch than play yourself. You dont even have to touch the screen and can just sip on a nice cup of coffee while watching.

You guys want to know another thing the iPad is good for? Watching play throughs of games on youtube while laying on the bed. Some games are almost as good and worth it just for the story and cinematics to watch than play yourself. You dont even have to touch the screen and can just sip on a nice cup of coffee while watching.

Never found a use for watching game videos ... if I want to game I will game, if I want to watch a movie I'll do that ... and if I want a great story I'll read a book. :)

What about using splashtop for actual pc games?

I tried that some time ago. I could launch the game but the controls wouldn't work in game. It was a while ago and I can't remember exactly what the problem was. Too bad it would have been nice to stream my pc games.

I got KotOR and played it for a bit.

Unfortunately, I think the movement controls are horrible. I guess if you're used to playing games on iPad - they might not be an issue - but I'd rather roast myself over a large fire and have Codex posters eat me piece by piece - than subjecting myself to 30 hours of watching my hand and being frustrated by my character not doing what I want him to be doing.

If they wake up and implement a virtual stick - I might bother, but not now.

That said, I'm inspired to play the PC version again, so that's good.

Well thats the mdium. You cant blame rhe medium dor not fulfilling your wishful thinking fantasies whatever they are. Its a touchscreen based system thus these are the limitations all devs need to work with. By the way, this exact faxt makes ir rhe most superior in two genres: taxtical based turn based games like scom and adventure games. But yes all other genres by default play different to say the least. Aain not rhe mediums fault but would you really want the platform to only have angry birds clones or asventure and tacical games? Its like you keep making these invalid excuses why you cant play games on the iPad that are just laughable. Ay system has some limitations like the original psp with that analog nub.

It's not the medium. Plenty of Ipad games use a virtual stick and it works quite well. Given the criticism they have gotten, I'd hope that KOTR would consider patching one in.

Well thats the mdium. You cant blame rhe medium dor not fulfilling your wishful thinking fantasies whatever they are. Its a touchscreen based system thus these are the limitations all devs need to work with. By the way, this exact faxt makes ir rhe most superior in two genres: taxtical based turn based games like scom and adventure games. But yes all other genres by default play different to say the least. Aain not rhe mediums fault but would you really want the platform to only have angry birds clones or asventure and tacical games? Its like you keep making these invalid excuses why you cant play games on the iPad that are just laughable. Ay system has some limitations like the original psp with that analog nub.

I'm not blaming the platform. That's your personal fantasy.

You're not quite well, are you? ;)

If the game isn't suited for the controls of the support, then the port is a crap and shouldn't have been done. But the reality isn't here, it's elsewhere.

The game economy on mobile took a kid road, and ipad get dragged in the road because its gaming success is also based on instant availability of plenty fun mobile games.

That road is, focus on gameplay, cheapest than possible, short games. And the only open path in that context is port of old games mostly dead in term of sells on any other platform, and this is generating multiple old much deeper and much bigger games ported to ios.

But the problem and the point is a game design is deeply linked to its interface design which means the interaction with the game with means the controls. And touch controls hasn't same strength and weakness of mouse+keyboard that hasn't same strength and weakness of (modern) gamepads. So it ends in many ports where the dev couldn't find any good adaptation of gamepad controls or mouse+keyboard controls to touch controls and its ends with many impressive craps.

The problem is there's certainly the possibility to design games deep, long, sophisticated and perfectly adapted to touch controls, but the game mobile/tablet economy has taken roads incompatible with that.

Unfortunately, I think the movement controls are horrible. I guess if you're used to playing games on iPad - they might not be an issue

Sorry to hear you are having issues with it - and glad to hear it at least got you replaying.

I stand behind my opinion that the controls are better than NWN2 at release. Again, not the highest bar, but it at least provides some context ;)

But then again, I traveled for business again this week and played a shooter on the PSP, so obviously my threshold for controls is on a different order of magnitude from most! :)

If the game isn't suited for the controls of the support, then the port is a crap and shouldn't have been done.

I think that rather that objectively poor controls, it was a choice - they didn't want to alter the core interface and UI layout, and didn't want a virtual analog stick solution that would have your left thumb occasionally changing party members around ...

I would rather the virtual analog stick, but they never asked me :)

I played during one year ios games and after only very rarely, but during that year exclusively on the platform and only on ipad. So from this experience, touch pads are a poor solution just highlighting it's missing pads and then that it's not a touch control game.

I do agree with some comments about the platform that it's a platform made for Turn Based, the reason is touch controls. Alas the platform is overloaded by kids avid or speed, action and real time, and they adapt relatively well to the weak controls solutions like pads or dual pads.

But it's more vicious than that, that large majority of kids have games dreams and hopes coming from console and PC games, that push them to look for games suited for those platforms but not suited to a touch platform, and it makes them forget games quite different but much better adapted to the platform controls.

There's still great turn based stuff on ios, but you need search for them through the noise generated by other games more popular.

For Kotor I don't know but I still have to be used to controls during the fights, I mean on PC. For me it's wrong approach, they should have choose between turn based and real time, not try a totally weird mix and dual possibility, it's just my opinion.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with it - and glad to hear it at least got you replaying.

I stand behind my opinion that the controls are better than NWN2 at release. Again, not the highest bar, but it at least provides some context ;)

I agree that NWN2 was really, really bad at release - but I'd say it was still miles ahead of KotOR.

That said, I'm much more used to bad PC interfaces than bad iPad interface. As I said, if you're used to iPad and you don't mind your hand being in the way - it's probably workable.

But I simply gave up in disgust.

But I simply gave up in disgust.

I'm sorry and feel bad ... because I recommended it and stated that I felt the criticisms were overstated. But as you said, it really depends on tolerance for controls - which is why I brought up the PSP, as it is the absolutely worst place to play a shooter from a controls perspective.

I am still playing and enjoying and really am not bugged by the controls, as for me it is about as fiddly as playing with the crappy trackpad on my little 12" HP 2570 laptop ... but again, that is about context and perspective of why I can tolerate - which is very different than what should be reasonably expected.

I'm sorry and feel bad … because I recommended it and stated that I felt the criticisms were overstated. But as you said, it really depends on tolerance for controls - which is why I brought up the PSP, as it is the absolutely worst place to play a shooter from a controls perspective.

No no, don't feel bad ;)

I got it on a whim - before I even read your feedback. Sometimes, I do things on impulse just like we all do.

Besides, I would never blame anyone in the world for having a different opinion than my own!

In fact, sometimes it's more disturbing to me when people agree ;)

Well touch arcade certainly disagrees with wome of you and this is the premiere ios gaming site for hardcore gamers:
http://toucharcade.com/2013/06/03/s...ic-for-ipad-review-a-must-play-star-wars-rpg/

A full 5/5 review. By the way ask yourselves why doesnt the psp have a single western rpg in the dungeon and dragons arsenal that isnt a turn based tactics game like this one:
http://www.ign.com/games/dungeons-dragons-tactics/psp-825964

And the iPad unlike the other handhelds does. It even has might nd magic while the nintendo da only has a japaneae anime version (that the ios now has as well).

Back
Top Bottom