Remakes; especially Blades of Destiny

But that's something I liked about the game. I mean...is there any other RPG where you can die of fever? ;)
But as far as I remember yo can also heal this stuff yourself. At least in most cases...if you treat it early...and have a good healer...and the herbs...

Sadly, I have neither the good healer nor the herbs necessary to treat it, lol.

I like it too. I like that the game is pretty challenging and has an element of survival in it. Makes it very unique.

Wow. Just had some epic difficult travels.

Don't ever try to take long, remote mountain passages in the dead of winter. You will die, horribly. 4 of my party members ending up freezing to death and just as I'm about to make it to the next town, I encounter an inescapable battle with an important enemy and my last 2 party members bit the dust. Thankfully, I had old saves I could load in the last town so I am not stuck on that path anymore.

At least the fever broke on my Leaf Elf :D.

One thing is for sure, this game can be brutal!

I just had a sequence where I'm traveling through the mountains and nearly my entire party got sick. Got to the next town and there's not a healer in sight. Finally, I find the healer way at the other end of the village, but he wants 40 ducats to heal my Leaf Elf of his Traumatic Fever! I only have 20 ducats so I'm pretty much in trouble. Not to mention I had to spend over 10 ducats to heal everyone else from frost damage since I can't afford sleeping bags for them and my blankets are not cutting it during the winter months.

Brutal.

Your own fault. You didn't buy them warm clothes etc. .

I didn't say it was the game's fault :). I can't really afford good clothes at this point, and wearing heavier armor that detracts from my attack rating is not a good idea just yet.

I also should have treated my Leaf Elf's wounds after a battle so he wouldn't get Traumatic Fever. But you learn these things as you go. I am far from an expert on this game and it can be rough for first-time players.

Can't judge the hd remake for that, but at least the old game used a lot of "common sense" and realism which is not used in most other rpgs. Not just the illnesses. They also use a very realistic armor system where each armor reduces your ability to hit with your weapon. So your fighter might actually be better off with some medium armor. It uses health and thirst...you might need a rope in some dungeons or it might help you with some mountain routes and at least the old game had lots of little things which gave the game it's charm. Like the little animations when putting on some clothing (much like opening a door in Jagged Alliance 1) or when running around without trousers, which reminds me of things like sending flowers to Deidranna in Jagged Alliance 2. Well, the game was published in the US by Sir-tech which also developed Jagged Alliance, but that was probably more of an accident.

Wow judging by Fluent's comments, this game has some harsh role-playing elements to it that make it sound great.
Can't wait to hear more of your experiences with it Fluent, especially with the constant patching of the game, this is looking like a must have game in the near future for me.

It's definitely got some hardcore, tough elements going for it. It's really a throwback to when RPGs were challenging and didn't hold your hand.

I had to say goodbye to my Leaf Elf. Between his Traumatic Fever and Frostbite, he didn't make it back to Orvil. I pleaded for a miracle but was denied. Finally, I had to replace him with a Dwarf. It's going to be tough losing the elf because he was my primary hunter/survivalist of the party. He would always gather the water and food in camp, and he had some nice spells that came in handy, too. The Dwarf, however, can pick pockets, play instruments and appraise items. He's also good with a crossbow, so he should fit right in nicely.

If you guys have any ideas for features you'd like to see added to the game, go here > http://forum.schicksalsklinge.com/index.php?page=Board&boardID=89 and make a post. Chris Firefox (a developer for the remake) will personally respond to you and let you know if they can implement the idea. They are already implementing quite a bit of user content and user generated ideas, so if you have something you've always wanted to see in a game like this, go there and let them know!

Last edited:
If the game reaches a technical stable state and you haven't played the original game it is indeed a must-play for every RPG gamer imho.

I'll wait some month though. "Unfortunately" my last playthrough of the series was about 1.5 years ago, before I learned that there was a remake done...

I had to say goodbye to my Leaf Elf. Between his Traumatic Fever and Frostbite, he didn't make it back to Orvil. I pleaded for a miracle but was denied. Finally, I had to replace him with a Dwarf. It's going to be tough losing the elf because he was my primary hunter/survivalist of the party.

You didn't use the reload spell? ;)

One can pray several times, acxtually. And the higher the amount of money you give to that particular God, the higher the chance of an wonder will be, as far as I know.
And, by the way, Tsa is responsible for bringing everything back - she is the Goddess of renewal - of everything made new.

Well, I've been talking to an employee of Ulisses. Ulissis is the current license holder for the TDE stuff - except for videogames, which is still handled by Chromatrix, she reassured me.

I can merely tell you about her personal opinion. Nothing official ! Please keep this in mind.

She told me that she has been (and seemingly still is) a huge fan of the "Realms Of Arcania" Trilogy, of which the "Blade Of Destiny" is the first part (we Germans call this Trilogy simple the NLT - the "Nordlandtrilogie").

She told me that she has been playing the remake. And that she was … shocked. Yes, I think "shocked" is the best word.

Since Ulisses manages the print stuff mainly, she doesn't know - as an employee - how the development of the remake took part - because Ulisses is not the license holder for TDE videoi games, so they basically had nothing to do with it.

As a result, they didn't know how far, how good or how bad the product was - until it was released.

Only the tiniest sign of criticism could be heard : That the game's publisher ? developer ? don't quite remember the exact words anymore - didn't invite Ulisses to see how far, how good or how bad the product was (these are my words). So, Ulisses knew nothing - until it was released (and therefore too late).

I'd have to ask an Chromatrix rep regarding the remake - how it was possible that it could get released that unfinished, this is the most "pressing" question I still have.

And remember : This stuff is nothing official !! It is just the personal report from one employee ! (Albeit one of the more important ones, regarding the TDE stuff itself. She's been co-author to several newer TDE books.)

That's all I can say.

Guess that's not a surprise. They wouldn't have officially announced that they are no part of this if they liked it. ^^

Wow judging by Fluent's comments, this game has some harsh role-playing elements to it that make it sound great.
Can't wait to hear more of your experiences with it Fluent, especially with the constant patching of the game, this is looking like a must have game in the near future for me.

If you hold out for a few more patches it will get even more hardcore. They're adding getting banned from taverns for cheating/picking pockets too much, shopkeepers not dealing with you after you've made too many consecutive low offers, and healers sometimes mucking up the healing job and making your character worse off :). These are just a few I know for sure they are working on.

Maybe in half a year or a year it's fully rounded - then I'll buy it.
Because I'm still looking forward to it, somehow.

Me too... except I'm a dumbass having pre-ordered. :(

I was on the brink of preordering, too.

Maybe I should buy it one day in its original form to show everyone how buggy it once was. "Dungeon Lords, Part 2" ?

Back
Top Bottom