Pillars of Eternity - Chanters & Priests

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The next post-funding update for Pillars of Eternity has information about two more classes called the Chanter & Priest. The update also has two short video clips.

Update #78: The Leaders of the Band: Chanters and Priests

Update by Josh Sawyer, Project Director

For our third class update, we will be covering chanters and priests. Along with paladins (covered in Update 56), these classes provide parties with their core support bonuses and healing effects. Different games refer to these types of characters using different terms -- usually "leader" or "support" -- but at their core, they excel when they are providing assistance to their teammates. The benefits they provide to the group often outstrip the contributions of individual party members in the final tally, but their abilities must be used carefully to maximize their impact.

Our next update will be from Adam Brennecke. He has some great graphical enhancements to share that we hope you'll enjoy. After that, our final class update will be on The Front Line: fighters and barbarians.

All three of the leader classes have a balanced suite of offensive abilities and though there is overlap in the effects of their various support abilities, they differ significantly in how they are used. Paladins utilize persistent auras to provide strong bonuses to allies in their immediate vicinity and limited-use single-target commands to grant powerful buffs to individual teammates. Chanters' phrases create a rotating cycle of bonuses that shift over the course of combat, building up energy until they can utter powerful invocations. Priests are traditional casters, relying on large area of effect bonuses mixed with small area offensive spells to direct combat from afar.
More information.

Several of these updates actually makes me LESS psyched for the game to arrive. All the spells and abilities just sounds so...bland. Raises that stat bla bla this saving throw bla. Wasn't the spells and abilities of the infinity games more colourful than that, or have I just put on my tinted glasses? I replayed Baldurs Gate last year though, so I really don't think so...

I'm still pretty sure I will love this game, but nonetheless...

I'm somewhat confused about what the paladin's role might be. They used to say that their Priests are like D&D Paladins, and their Paladins are the buffers/ leaders.

All the spells and abilities just sounds so…bland. Raises that stat bla bla this saving throw bla. Wasn't the spells and abilities of the infinity games more colourful than that, or have I just put on my tinted glasses?

This update isn't necessarily representative of what the spell description will be like in the game. The BG spell also had the gameplay information in their description after the flavor text. For example, Chill Touch:

When the caster completes this spell, a blue glow encompasses his hand. This energy attacks the life force of any living creature upon which the wizard makes a successful melee attack. The touched creature must make a saving throw vs. spell or suffer 1d8 points of damage and recieve a -2 penalty to its thac0.

@Sacred_Path

Chanter, Cleric and Paladin are leader classes. The difference is how they achieve this (aka gameplay) and the lore associated with them. The Paladin in POE is more like the D&D 4E Warlord from what I remember, might have changed since then.

An Evil Party of necromancers, Anti-Paladins, Inglorious Basterds and a cannibal transvestite Elf Dark-Priest of Llolth came by and ruined the whole mission-story line of Pillars of Eternity by beforehand massacring all quest-giving NPCs, burning their villages after eating up all food and having drank all the booze.

Now they have cast their wicked eyes onto the next city/village swooping down there like a bunch of Fallen Angels, their plan: terrorizing townsfolk until they give up all riches and nubiles.

Honestly I think the abilities look pretty interesting. The only ones that look bland are the chanter phrases, are those are supposed to be tiny non-dramatic buffs which power up their big dramatic spells.

That was described in an earlier update.

Read the update... well it seems the Paladin is another buffer class with probably a bit more survivability than priests and chanters. It might be petty to complain about that as achieving the same things by different means is bread & butter in an RPG, but still...

Think how boring it would read if it were all just explained as equations.

But that's the essence of all computer games; it's just math.

Read the update… well it seems the Paladin is another buffer class with probably a bit more survivability than priests and chanters. It might be petty to complain about that as achieving the same things by different means is bread & butter in an RPG, but still…

I'm personally dissapointed how they designed paladin. In PE a paladin is basicly a support class with some buffs. Sure he can stand on front line, but he needs other classes around him to do any real damage.

I wish Paladin was more like a cavalier or an inquisitor in bg2. A mighty knight like character who was blessed by his god with holy powers and who could fight fairly well on his own. And those powers would be personal buffs rather than party buffs or perhaps anti-mage abilties…

Back
Top Bottom