Gothic 2 Gothic 2 newbie questions

Maybe Arcania would be more to your liking. There's definitely a lot less work involved in playing that game. ;)

I played Arcania on Xbox. Thought it was OK, not great.

Again, my main problems with G2 is that it's "Difficult" in a stupid way. Making the user experience cumbersome may seem like a hardcore game to some, but ultimately I found it simply annoying.

We're all just pushing pixels around the screen with this hobby. Why play something that you don't think is fun?

Last edited:
We're all just pushing pixels around the screen with this hobby. Why play something that you don't think is fun?

I agree you shouldn't play something if you're not enjoying it. Personally, I loved the amount of investment that Gothic 2 required from me. That only made it even more satisfying.

Everyone has games they don't like though, even if it's against the popular opinion of others. I hated KoTOR for example. It's hugely popular around here, but it did absolutely nothing for me whatsoever.

Pity, I consider G2+NOTR one of my top 5 gaming experiences!! Note, I don't like twitch combat and I played as a mage (considered a real challenge), yet I still loved it.

I played Arcania on Xbox. Thought it was OK, not great.

Again, my main problems with G2 is that it's "Difficult" in a stupid way. Making the user experience cumbersome may seem like a hardcore game to some, but ultimately I found it simply annoying.

Like I said, play it without NotR. NotR doesn't marginally up the difficulty - it's on a completely different scale. Gothic 2 is actually quite easy on its own, and a good game. Not as good as NotR, but better than most of its kind, and nowhere near as punishing as NotR.

I think you gave it a fair chance. 2 times is more than enough. It's perfectly fine if it didn't grab you. Just move on to something else.

I have a question too. I played Gothic 2 when it came out, and now I wanna play NOTR. However, I don't want to play a mage. Do you have to join the water mages to get the full NOTR experience? And if you do, can you still choose not to use magic?

Yes, you can. Joining the Water Mages is just an extra faction, not a faction choice that affects the other factions. So basically, you're a Paladin, Mercenary or Mage + member of the Ring of Water.

Thanks a lot!

Also, can I become a citizen of Khorinis and still become a mercenary afterwards?

Hmm yes, but you can not join the city guard.

Back
Top Bottom