Frayed Knights - Trailer/Teaser Released

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
As the release date for Rampant Games eagerly awaited Old School RPG 'Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh Daon' grows ever more imminent, the studio has just released its first trailer/teaser. You can find it Here. There's a strong possibility that the game WILL be released this month, so this should certainly whet your appetite for more.
More information.

You guys are going to love it. Great writing, great gameplay, tons of skills and interesting monsters. It's what a lot of you (and me) have been waiting for.

One thing about the characters, Don't be scared to experiment with whatever kind of character you want. If you want to turn Chloe (the sorceress) into a hardcore fighter character then you can quite easily. She may not be "blueprinted" for a fighter character, but that doesn't mean she'll be a weak pushover if you give her the right skills and increase her stats. She'll be raining melee destruction in no time if you want her to.

I turned Dirk into a priest/rogue quite easily and while multi-classing him meant that he wasn't the most powerful rogue or priest it also meant he had a lot more options when fighting. He saved my parties butt on a few occasions because he could heal/buff or take out an opponent with a well placed dagger thrust.

Absolutely, and I strongly recommend trying it out even if you played the pilot version way back when. While it covers the same dungeon and the story hasn't changed too much, the gameplay - particularly combat - has changed a ton. If you still have the pilot, it can be interesting to compare the differences.

It also helps make sure the game will run fine on your system.

I wonder if it's using DirectX 9 or later? If it is, 3D Vision will kick in. Playing such an old school game with bleeding edge graphics would be quite twisted - which seems likely to fit the humor perfectly. ;)

Quite good music for an indie effort! I'm definitely watching with interest.

To anyone who's played: How rewarding is exploration? Will I find valuable loot by overturning all stones? Exploration is my favorite aspect in most games.

Most of my experience is from the two earlier betas before Jay started putting in more hidden loot around, but even then it is worth exploring every nook and cranny. I always explore for hidden items with every game I play. It's a compulsion of mine to find everything including easter eggs.

Jay's got an interesting type of search feature. When you search for something if there is something nearby it will indicate how close it is in the text box or if there is nothing nearby it will tell you that there is nothing nearby. I believe there is also a roll involved, but can't recall if that is correct or not. There are also a few skills that are specifically designed to help you in your searches.

When I played there weren't that many magic items around, but I did find a few good ones by searching for them others involved solving a sidequest or the main one.

There are a few quests/sidequests where you'll need to find some items. One in particular I remember you had to search around to find the dang thing. I believe I ranted about it in an earlier thread. Still one of the more memorable portions of the game was finding that hidden loot.

Overall, I had about as much fun exploring this world as I did with the combat and the narrative.

I will give you one hint about exploring and that is to look at everything. Jay threw in a couple of hat tips to Might and Magic that I know people will enjoy finding. It's not always about finding "loot" ;)

Yep, definitely underlining or bolding or something Frayed Knights (trilogy) on my wildly spiraling out of control to-buy list.

Thanks, Ratdude. I'll add this game to my buy list also. I need something to tide me over till Skyrim and I generally double the estimated time that people says it takes to complete games. I spent over 100 hours in Deus Ex.

I can't wait to play this game. Good old first person party RPG fun!!! :)

It's come a long ways since that last few betas. This latest one that Jay sent me blew my socks off with all the little details he's added into the game. I'm not talking about graphics really (although they are a few of those too), but no the game itself with the skills that just keep getting better and better. There are other little touches that he has added all throughout the game that you probably won't notice, but I do because it's such a vast improvement over the earlier betas it makes my jaw drop every time I see something new and cool.

It's all about the polish now and Jay is working like a mad man to make this sucker bright and shiny for release.

Lookin´ great!
Finally seeing Power Word: Defenestrate in action definitely didn´t disappoint, it´s hilarious :).

Back
Top Bottom