Skyrim - Why the RPG Hate at Rampant Games

'course it is. I'm cool, I play RPGs. Cool people should do as I do. Q.E.D.

are you saying that its "cool" to play RPGs?

Well it's cool to play cRPGs and even maybe PnP RPGs (particularly if you're talking about something like Fading Suns). LARPGs though? Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ04mfAY2BU

I guess there's some coolness associated with being responsible for a meme though right?

Lazy generation imho. In general, not saying its everyone ofc.
Nah, I think it's just the audience. If you still had to screw around with your autoexec.bat to maximize your extended memory in order to play a game then the vast majority of gamers would love fiddling around with stats in RPGs. The ones that wouldn't want to fiddle with that kind of detail wouldn't want to fiddle with the autoexec's detail, either, and thus wouldn't be gamers.

Ah, those good old days of autoexec.bat and config .exe and voodoo memory managers with extended memory and expanded memory (if you could remember the difference between them, you were a super geek)!! Yes, I'm sure we all miss those wonderful hours we spent trying to get each game to work!! :D

Don't remind me of the horrors of trying to get Serpent Isle to run. I ended up calling tech support and they told me exactly how to fix the problem. After that it ran beautifully.

I think you hit the nail on the head zloth. Even back in the old C64 days I would fiddle around with some games to get them to run. Normally it was as simple as a Load "*",8,1 But every now and then I'd get one that was being stubborn. Temple of Apshia 2 was a huge pain to get running for some reason.

Point being we were used to reading up on how to get things to run. Even for the barely computer literate you had to learn some key commands to play the games you wanted. After that reading a game manual for a game felt like second nature then. Plus we had to rely more on imagination and stats then they need to today. Hell, I'm expecting some kind of Star Trek Holosuit any day now :p No need for imagination or stats when everything you see is crystal clear and you have adrenaline pumping action. Best action games I had growing up were Pac-Man, Galaga and Burger Time. Sure they were fun, but not nearly close to the action packed adrenaline pumping games they have today.

Ah, those good old days of autoexec.bat and config .exe and voodoo memory managers with extended memory and expanded memory (if you could remember the difference between them, you were a super geek)!! Yes, I'm sure we all miss those wonderful hours we spent trying to get each game to work!! :D

Shouldn't it be config.sys? :p

I actually had an easier time running games then than I have now. Every time ATI releases new drivers I have to wrestle with my computer for hours before everything's back to order...

Honestly, I don't care about people that hate RPGs, they don't even know what they're losing... Too bad for them, because they hate something that they don't even understand.
I've always loved the genre and I'm sure that we'll always find new games that enjoy us, being it 'lite' (as Skyrim should be, 'till mods I think) or 'old-school' (maybe Age of Decadence, when will it come out? Just to be in theme with new releases).

You think Age of Decadence actually will be released? ;)

Jokes aside, as long as I've waited for that one, I might as well wait a bit longer, always nice to have something to look forward too. And in the meantime Skyrim will probably do just fine as a time-killer. Loads and loads of time.

I agree with Mr Ball over here. Who cares if anyone hates RPG's? The term RPG itself modifies a lot in time and even the way people see them. When I was in highschool everyone look weird at me for playing Fallout 2 or BG and though this kind of games are weak (they were looking at the graphics *cough*) and now when I talk to some of them they are all like "OMG SKYRIM WILL BE GREAT, LOVED OBLIVION" or "OMG YES BORDERLANDS WAS EPIC".

Skyrim looks interesting. I am going to try it out. And I do not care where ever the game is cool or not. Or what the mainstream media is barking(they are usually false).
If I like a certain game,it is cool to me. That is important!

And even worse, when you were using country-specifiy keyboard and display drivers before that ! :D :lol:

Programmers solel programming for the English-language markt and totally forgetting that there MIGHT exist a few other languages/countries out there were the sure way to drive German gamers mad ! :lol:

( I experienced it myself : Trying to get AT LEAST 580 KN for Commander Keen - or even better, if you wanted to hear full sound : 640 KB - with having the original MS keyboard driver installed which ate up several KB ! German gamers basically had to uninstall all of their country-specific language related drivers in order to play Commander Keen in its full glory ! Or Duke Nukum 1 ! )

580 kb was not that much but i doubt any application actually required full 640 kb. The most i remember was somewhere around 620-630 or so. Freeing that precious conventional memory wasn't that hard, once you learned to use better, smaller drivers and utilities and load them into UMA.

It must be something I've missed. It's popular to bash RPGs?

In any case, if it's hated - it's because it's not understood. That's what hate is about.

There are plenty of things that can be understood perfectly and hated.

Like the Transformers movies. :)

You understand Transformers? The required effort alone would seem to justify hatred, so I guess you're right ;)

Hey, nothing wrong with the original Transformers the Movie. :p
Bit of a childhood animated classic for some 80s fans, I'd say. Unicron ftw!
The two modern abominations on the other hand, there you may have a point.

As to the OP, well…as much as it bothers me to say, it seems you can't have ignorance without the letters IGN. Irrelevant drivel, honestly.

Hey, nothing wrong with the original Transformers the Movie. :p
Bit of a childhood animated classic for some 80s fans, I'd say. Unicron ftw!
The two modern abominations on the other hand, there you may have a point.

As to the OP, well…as much as it bothers me to say, it seems you can't have ignorance without the letters IGN. Irrelevant drivel, honestly.

I thought I was the only only who remembered the original animation movie. As for IGN when have they ever been a credible site.

When I was at school, playing computer games were considered nerdy and therefore not cool, RPGs were nerdier still!

By the time I got to uni/work, it was "cool" to play computer games like FSPs but still got few raised eyebrows if you said, you play RPGs.

I don't go advertising to my friends that I play RPGs....

What I don't understand, is that most people I talk to think the new Transformers movies are pretty bad - and yet they've all seen them all in the theater.

When I ask why they go see them, I get something like "they're still kinda fun".

That may be true, but that's the reason - right there - that we don't get better movies.

Back
Top Bottom