Nvidia Shield

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch
Just got an early christmas present - an Nvidia Shield. Haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but I did get the game streaming working with Skyrim quite briefly. Need to setup SKSE to launch from inside Steam so my mods will work, but otherwise it seemed to work well. Anyone else had a chance to play with one of these? Seems promising.

Not tried one, but the PC streaming sounds perfect for me to squeeze in some gaming around the wife and kids. So long as it works as advertised.

Of course, my PC currently has an ATi card, so it's an expensive upgrade for me.

Splashtop (Ipad app + PC Client) seems to have similar capabilities, sans the geforce card requirement. Unfortunately it seems to require a monthly fee to upgrade to the capabilities needed for gaming - That is, programmable controls.

I happened to upgrade to a 770gtx last month as my 8800gtx was growing a bit long in the tooth (It was originally purchased to improve my Oblivion experience). This made the overall proposition a bit more palatable. It has made me think of reinstalling a bunch of games I haven't played in awhile just to see how well they work. Hard to get used to the controls though - Mouse and keyboard have spoiled me for a long time.

I think Ill wait for the 2nd generation. What Ive read is that this shield does have issues. As far as streaming handhelds go currently this seems to be the picking order:

1. Wii u (flawless)
2. Nvidia shield
3. Ps4 + Vita (new vita might be better)

Wii u is the only one that is built around this idea. It works without any issues. The only thing it could use is more range. Nintendo could do range extenders.

Not tried one, but the PC streaming sounds perfect for me to squeeze in some gaming around the wife and kids. So long as it works as advertised.
Thats exactly why I love wii u. I managed to get it to work on both living rooms of our house (top and bottom floors). They watch the tv, I play deus ex or zelda next to them.

Splashtop (Ipad app + PC Client) seems to have similar capabilities, sans the geforce card requirement. Unfortunately it seems to require a monthly fee to upgrade to the capabilities needed for gaming - That is, programmable controls.

I happened to upgrade to a 770gtx last month as my 8800gtx was growing a bit long in the tooth (It was originally purchased to improve my Oblivion experience). This made the overall proposition a bit more palatable. It has made me think of reinstalling a bunch of games I haven't played in awhile just to see how well they work. Hard to get used to the controls though - Mouse and keyboard have spoiled me for a long time.

I have Splashtop THD for my Google Nexus 7 - and it can't provide lagfree gaming even with a high speed access point. It's "relatively" close - but not good enough.

I haven't yet bought it for my iPad - but I'd be interested to hear feedback :)

"Need to setup SKSE to launch from inside Steam..."

Uhhh, I don't think it will work like that, will it? SKSE launches Skyrim for you. (Nexus Mod Manager will launch SKSE for you.) Skyrim always latches on to Steam so it can do the achievements and cards and whatnot.

P.S. No use for Shield here but the technology is interesting.

"Need to setup SKSE to launch from inside Steam…"

Uhhh, I don't think it will work like that, will it? SKSE launches Skyrim for you. (Nexus Mod Manager will launch SKSE for you.) Skyrim always latches on to Steam so it can do the achievements and cards and whatnot.

P.S. No use for Shield here but the technology is interesting.

Havent tried it yet, but i have read at least one report of someone doing just that. Once i get my computer sorted back out (win 8.1 and my wireless card dont like each other) ill report.

I haven't yet bought it for my iPad - but I'd be interested to hear feedback :)

I bought the $1.00 version on the app store. It connects well enough and the framerate seems solid, but the controls are too messed up to tell how much input lag would be a problem. There's an in app purchase that gives you the power to remap some controls, but it requires a monthly fee - no thanks.

SKSE seems to be working just fine. Merely add skse_loader.exe to steam as a "non-steam game" and away you go!

Back
Top Bottom