Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut - Review Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I have two new reviews for Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut. The game itself will be released in two days for those that are interested in replaying the upgraded version.

Polygon- 9/10

With improvements to the game's flow and excellent second-screen support, the Director's Cut of Human Revolution is the definitive version of an excellent game. Human Revolution would bear replaying even without the enhancements — it's a rare title that combines superb world building and storytelling with such dedication to player choice. I lost myself in the world of Human Revolution, and relished every opportunity to dive deeper into its mysteries.
Dracula's Cave - 9/10

At it’s core this might be the same game from 2011, but that’s really not a bad thing. The setting is still awesome, the atmosphere is still immense, and you still have the same unnecessarily brutal melee attack that never fails to entertain. Some of the old issues remain, including some loading sequences that break up gameplay, and an excessive amount of onscreen waypoints, but all of the game’s biggest flaws have been fixed. If you’ve not played Deus Ex: Human Revolution before, then this is the version you want, but I’d also recommend it to fans of the original, as it’s still great fun on the second playthrough.

More information.

9/10?
Then we didn't need "the cut" at all since the original game well deserves 9/10 (-1 because of bosses).

I really enjoyed the game but already played through twice and I have no desire to play it again even with the minor improvements.

I really wish this was an expansion instead but I know those days are over.

Now we will get a couple dlc's then a slightly improved version released a year or so later, I wish I had the patience to not buy games at release and wait for the better version released later.

I never replayed it - because I didn't want to play Missing Link as a separate game. Lucky for me, since this edition integrates it back into the full game.

I'm really looking forward to replay this modern masterpiece. I must be the only one around here who thinks it's actually better than the original Deus Ex - except if you take into account time of release, where you have to acknowledge the innovation of the first game.

The fact that they've announced Deus Ex Universe - and they fully intend to keep making games like this, is one of the few things that can make me very excited about the AAA scene again.

Now I just need to hear the words three, shock, and system spoken together - and I'll be one happy gamer!

Now I just need to hear the words three, shock, and system spoken together - and I'll be one happy gamer!
If that ever happens, I'm entirely sure they will manage to screw it up entirely and all we get is Dead Space with electronic voices in your head.

If that ever happens, I'm entirely sure they will manage to screw it up entirely and all we get is Dead Space with electronic voices in your head.

That's not unlikely, but I consider DE:HR to be an example of how to do it right.

Obviously, I don't expect an actual evolution of the System Shock concept - but a modern take in the style of DE:HR would more than suffice.

IIRC, they recently announced that Prey 2 had turned into something of a spiritual sequel to System Shock - and it's by the Dishonored/Arx Fatalis people - so that might be pretty good.

"I consider DE:HR to be an example of how to do it right."

Me too.

I am replaying DE:HR now and I am right at the point where The Missing Link (DLC which I do not have) would be. I will probably purchase this director's cut if the savegame will work, but probably not if the savegame would not work.

Well, except for the boss fights and the ending choice silliness (ala ME3, BTW), not to mention the generic million office desks to rifle through, and the lack of much choice and consequences in character development (you ended up a master of everything by the finish), I think DE:H was pretty damn great.

I am looking forward to playing this again and this DC on PC gives me the chance.

It was released a few hours ago over here. Shows as $4.99 for me.

Looking forward to playing it, but I have a lot on my plate right now…

*Edit* I went ahead and purchased it. In case anyone was wondering, it does not replace the original version in your Steam library.

Last edited:
I must be the only one around here who thinks it's actually better than the original Deus Ex - except if you take into account time of release, where you have to acknowledge the innovation of the first game.

I'm also in that camp, but I've never managed to finish the original. I've tried playing it way too late in its life, and some of the issues just break immersion for me. It's a stealth title, but enemies seem to not see me even though I walk in clear light, at some considerable distance in front of them.

I'm sad that I wasn't able to play it back in the day. I might have been more forgiving on that issue. But Human Revolution was great. Great gameplay, cool artistict direction and just plain fun. Also, good story.

I'm also in that camp, but I've never managed to finish the original. I've tried playing it way too late in its life, and some of the issues just break immersion for me. It's a stealth title, but enemies seem to not see me even though I walk in clear light, at some considerable distance in front of them.

I'm sad that I wasn't able to play it back in the day. I might have been more forgiving on that issue. But Human Revolution was great. Great gameplay, cool artistict direction and just plain fun. Also, good story.

DE was a great game back in the day - but I find that if you do a point-by-point comparison of features and mechanics, DE:HR ends up the clear winner in almost every category.

This goes for hacking, stealth, shooting, NPC interaction, skill system and so on.

I consider level design something of a toss-up, because while DE had larger levels and felt somewhat more free - DE:HR levels have much more personality for the most part.

The boss battles in DE:HR were awful - but they're fixed now, and that was the big complaint most people seemed to have.

But I'm sure some of our resident DE fans will explain why it's the better game to them.

Cue JDR ;)

Since the terrorist bombings in New York, the opening scene of Deus Ex just resonates with me, giving the game a little deeper meaning than most. For that reason Deus Ex shines, but DX:HR is an awesome game and I'll be picking the DC next time I want to play it.

I have the previous full price version, can it be upgraded to this, or do I have to buy the game over again?

Daniel.

Steam KNOWS what you already own, so it automatically offers you the upgrade only discount. Mine was only $5. That's actually a nice feature of its invasiveness, even for paranoid schizophrenics. ;)

Aye you're right it offers it to me for £6.49, not to bad. Releases in a couple of days time.

Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom