D&D Online Unlimited

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch
So D&D Online f2p is going live in a few days. These are my comments/thoughts from beta:
I played this when it was originally in beta 3 or so years ago. I decided against buying it for a few reasons, some of which fixed now like not having a first person view (only added in the last update that is not even live yet). My main concern then was basically that all dungeons are fixed, including trap locations and enemies. My concern was that after the first few days, people would know exactly where everything is as they play with their alts. This concern still remains, as they haven't changed this aspect a bit (my suggestion at the time was to randomize at least some aspects like trap type and locations, something to keep old players still on their toes). In fact, from my beta experience the times I didn't enjoy where exactly when old characters went ahead and pointed to the rogue where he should look and find traps, totally defeating the purpose of being a rogue if you ask me.
Another aspect of consideration is the problem of adventure packs. When you're in a group, it's hard to know what adventures are doble by everyone, which is specially painful since you lose exp if you leave a dungeon before completing it (so if some members enter only to realize that one of the players doesn't have it, tough luck).
The game is fun, best to be played by a group of people that has never played it, as every dungeon is hand made, with traps and enemies of different strengths, which are sure to utilize the strengths of a balanced group.
The best aspect of the game, to me, is that you only get exp by completing dungeons, which is as it should be. No killing enemies just 'for exp'. In fact, since you only regain mana at set places in the dungeon, and can only use them once (unless in easy or solo mode), you don't want to spend your resources unnecessarily.
I recommend this game if you can get a group of people that has not played this, and play regularly with them (like good old p&p D&D) then you should enjoy this game a lot, guaranteed.

Last edited:
Thanks for this info. :)

By the way, it was announced that there will be a new server (Cannith), which hopefully will have a bigger proportion of players that have not played the game yet. See you in Cannith!

Interesting, starting on a new server is pretty hard core though, extremely limited resources, is there any type of Harvesting or Crafting?

Thanks. :)

hard core? to me it's how it is supposed to be played. Remember this is D&D, you are supposed to be just a group of adventurers going into dungeons. The game itself is already very generous on giving lots of loot (they call it high magic campaigns in p&p D&D). The only crafting there is, is at high levels (my max. level in beta was 12 and didn't get to craft. Max level is 20). Makes no sense to gather iron and make your own full plate when in your first adventure you'll probably find a full plate +1 in a chest :)
There is an AH which I rarely used in beta, as I had all I needed from chests and adventure rewards. See, in a dungeon, when you find a chest, it has items pre-assigned to every member of the group, so a chest could have easily 20 items inside for a full group of 6. And when you finish each adventure, you have a choice of one item from a list of 10 or more possibilities, so you're pretty much set on your own unless you want very specific items.

any exact date on the time this game goes f2p? im looking for a mmo and f2p would be nice for me just to try it out ^^

That's alot of loot! :)

Never heard of chests done like that, interesting. So are the loots bound to specific players or if there are two Pallys in a group say, would they roll for the chest piece? If they are bound doesn't really seem to be a need for Auction, unless I misunderstand.

Here's the info from the site Im8dark:
Open to current and former subscribers as well as recent participants in the closed beta, the Dungeons & Dragons Online®: Eberron Unlimited™ Head Start begins 09/01/09. Players who join us for this event get exclusive access to play early. The head start allows all participants to fully experience the new game content and features before the general public is admitted on 09/09/09. Reserve your character names, play the new content first, or simply get a jump on trying out the latest game features. It all begins on September 1st!
http://www.ddo.com/news/597-get-into-ddo-unlimited-early-head-start-begins-on-september-1st

If you can't make it that long look at the thread I start call Bloodymare, I have been playing it for a couple of weeks while I wait for D&D and it's pretty cool. It's defiantly adult orientated lots of blood, nightmarish creatures and semi-nudity. Don't join the Hammertine server if you don't want PvP, I made that mistake. It looks like it's the only server available for the F2P but it's not, top server is PvE and most populated.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7858

That's alot of loot! :)

Never heard of chests done like that, interesting. So are the loots bound to specific players or if there are two Pallys in a group say, would they roll for the chest piece? If they are bound doesn't really seem to be a need for Auction, unless I misunderstand.
Just imagine that each character sees his version of the chest. You see a fullplate +1 and a set of 20 fire arrows, someone else sees a potion of invisibility and 2 diamonds, etc. There's an option that you can assign something assigned to you to someone else, like you're a fighter and you got a scroll of fireball, you can click on it in the chest and assign it to the wizard.

any exact date on the time this game goes f2p? im looking for a mmo and f2p would be nice for me just to try it out ^^
F2P starts Sept 9th for those who have never played it. If you played it before or participated in beta, you can go in right now I think

Kk, thanks for the info on chests. :)

Trying to download and register, but it says I need a Product Key to register, so maybe they haven't prepared their Registration system for the new F2P, yet.

If you were thinking of installing and registering ahead of time, well don't count on it. You can download and install but not Account Registration till the 9th unless your paying. This must have made sense to someone, who was apparently being paid to think, cause why would anyone want to be able to register and post on the forums, before they could actually play. :roll:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=198484

So whoever is going to play it, look me up I'll be playing Sept. 9th at about 6pm EST. My first char will probably be a fighter in the new server (Cannith)

As a beta tester I'm playing already on Khyber as a Sorc of course!! :) Hope to see a few of you there as well.

As a beta tester I'm playing already on Khyber as a Sorc of course!! :) Hope to see a few of you there as well.

I was a tester too but I decided to wait till the 9th to start with all the clueless new players in the brand new server, without people giving away 1000 plat if you smile at them :)

Heads up about how D&D Online is really being run, check out this post in this thread at Blue's, its sounds pretty bad.
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewstory&threadid=102043

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited Live Sep 9, 2009, 14:55 Darks

Heres the real deal!

I got some input on this new in game shop and content. I liked DDO, it was a fun game for a while but the new locked down content has gotten out of hand. The first part of the world in completely open and unlocked but that’s as far as it goes. Once you make it to the other section of town this is where it gets very annoying and frustrating. You take on a quest then go and try to enter the quest. You get prompted with a message saying that this content is not unlocked and is premium.
To unlock this content go the in game store and purchase this module. Well each modules cost you over 500 points. I’m not sure of the exact amount at the moment. So you go to the store and want to purchase some points. You have to buy 900 points because the lower amount is not enough so it will cost you 12 dollars. This is absurd! I was expecting the cost to be a little more reasonable. do the math, there are over 100 modules in this game imagine how much it will end up costing you after you have unlocked them all.
If you really want to play this game, stick with paying for it on a monthly basis. It will be cheaper and less stressful in the end. I really thought this was going to be a kewl way of playing the game but after experiencing the pay to play model I’m left with the feeling of I’m done and won’t be back.

Just be warned you will have to PAY to level as it sounds.

Ouch... Ftp but setting restrictions to the game. recently upgraded my graph card to play this anf my other mmos. but seems to me that maybe i'll just look for different game. *sigh

I know up to at least level 12 (out of 20, that was my max character in beta) you can play for free. Sure there are some adventures that are not free but you can play the free ones (which are not bad or worse than the paid ones, they're all good). Also, the first module I 'bought' was 250 points (actually it was a special of the day so I bought it for 175 or so). You also get free points by just playing the game so if you really don't want to spend a cent, you can still play all the content in the game, it'll just be by getting free points from playing the free adventures.
Depending on your playstyle, monthly fee or free to play may be better for you. If you play a lot, monthly fee is the way to go, as in 1 month period you may be more likely to see more content. If you play casual, you may decide you want to unlock an adventure pack here and there, say, 2 a month… that'd be some $5 (less than the monthly fee of $15). Again, this is not required to play the game, you can stick to the free adventures, but adventure packs are worth it, they are well done just as the free ones, but if you're like me and don't like repeating missions, they're great.
I think the system works fine as it is.

I'm playing this game right now and it's really good (it surprised me as Age of Conan did). I'm playing on Cannith as Gerant - barbarian male with two-handed sword :) I'm lvl 2 now but I heard maximum free level is 4 and for next levels you have to pay but there is some way to unlock them for free - idk how though.

You need a sigil which you can either buy, or which will eventually drop as end of quest loot.

Yeah, I already got one :) Shit, this game is addictive, I have been playing it nearly all the time from yesterday afternoon and I want to play more o_O Neither WoW nor AoC did manage to do it to me, lol. I'd better get break tomorrow and go for a walk around the town or something before I'll be playing 24/7 :p

Back
Top Bottom