ROA: Blade of Destiny Launch

Roq

Seeker
Original Sin Donor
Some 12 hours until launch according to Steam. Pre-Launch info is not good - the game is expected to be very buggy according to reports from Germany. Just hope they have the basis for a good game and are able to fix it up.

The developers have posted in the steam forums that this will not be the case with the steam release though. The german print version is a month old according to them.

Fingers crossed.

The developers have posted in the steam forums that this will not be the case with the steam release though. The german print version is a month old according to them.

Fingers crossed.

Yes, some German stores released the wrong version or something. Reading between the lines of what Chris says on Steam though (and other sources), I think the game is likely to still be pretty buggy at launch.

Can download it now. Might not be able to play though.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it until the afternoon, but it's already showing as available to install in my Steam library. I won't mess with it until tomorrow night at the earliest though.

If it's as buggy as some people claim, I might just wait until the next patch.

Yes, some German stores released the wrong version or something. Reading between the lines of what Chris says on Steam though (and other sources), I think the game is likely to still be pretty buggy at launch.
The shop sold the normal retail version, but 5 days too early. The massive release patch actually was more or less ready, but the auto-patcher was not. ;)

Ugh. Needs PATCHES.

Yeah - just got it running. Won't have time to play around with it much as I have a busy day. As suspected, I've already encountered several bugs, missing text etc just in the first few screens. Not sure if there is anything absolutely gamebreaking yet.

The good news is the graphics look rather good and the interface looks well designed and is crisp. Wandering NPCs look quite primitive and are not interactive - but I don't care too much about that. Very early first impressions - looks like it could turn out well, but it's going to need a lot of work from the devs fixing all the issues.

OK, so the first bit makes Dungeon Lords look like a masterpiece release.

Seriously.

Absolutely no context - you are in a room with some faces on the UI and some stuff to click on. No introduction, nothing. I started again and watched the opening video again ... still nothing.

For a beginner the game looks broken - it says 'unless you know what to do, screw you'. Of course folks who played the original will know what to do, but that isn't the point. You are dumped in a room with no explanation of what to do, or even HOW to do something? You are building a character, and no description of traits? C'mon.

Most of the text is in German (>50%), with about 35% English and 15% 'placeholder' text.

Eventually you might figure out that you can get to the Help menu ... indirectly. You go to Q for quests, then click on H for Help. Then you can find some minor help items.

Graphics are a mess, with menu tabs misaligned all over the place, things popping up one over the other. Performance is mediocre for the graphics quality.

Um, yeah. This game might possibly be 'playable' (I mean, it didn't crash), but it is a pathetically buggy mess. I would say that without exception it is the worst release state I have ever seen for a game - and it is utterly unplayable unless you already know the original.

I would say they are at least 3 or 4 patches away from something worth even the small amount of money I paid.

That sounds terrible to be perfectly honest. I'm not even going to consider buying it in its current state.

OK, so the first bit makes Dungeon Lords look like a masterpiece release.

Seriously.

Absolutely no context - you are in a room with some faces on the UI and some stuff to click on. No introduction, nothing. I started again and watched the opening video again … still nothing.

For a beginner the game looks broken - it says 'unless you know what to do, screw you'. Of course folks who played the original will know what to do, but that isn't the point. You are dumped in a room with no explanation of what to do, or even HOW to do something? You are building a character, and no description of traits? C'mon.

Most of the text is in German (>50%), with about 35% English and 15% 'placeholder' text.

Eventually you might figure out that you can get to the Help menu … indirectly. You go to Q for quests, then click on H for Help. Then you can find some minor help items.

Graphics are a mess, with menu tabs misaligned all over the place, things popping up one over the other. Performance is mediocre for the graphics quality.

Um, yeah. This game might possibly be 'playable' (I mean, it didn't crash), but it is a pathetically buggy mess. I would say that without exception it is the worst release state I have ever seen for a game - and it is utterly unplayable unless you already know the original.

I would say they are at least 3 or 4 patches away from something worth even the small amount of money I paid.

Uh oh, that sounds terrible. I'll check on it tonight (I'll install the german version, maybe that at least has the correct text). Typical - the only title I have pre-ordered in ages! :-/
I guess the only hope is that this is still missing the day 1 patch?

Apparently there is a fairly widespread bug with savegames disappearing after fights ... so when you go to reload, you end up having to restart the game. It is nice that the developers are all over Steam trying to gather info ... but seriously, I have played Alpha-state games in *much* better shape.

OK, according to what I read on steam, the day 1 patch is apparently indeed not incorporated in the released steam version, and should come out this afternoon (german time). That gives me a tiny glimmer of hope...

wow, it sounds like a game I should steer away from, considering I could never figure out how to play the original properly.

Unlike some other games, we do know that there is an interesting game hiding in there somewhere. Just a question of whether the devs can let it out.

WRT working out what to do. Just do a search for blades of Destiny manuals on google and there is lots of information about the old games which should be relevant.

OK, according to what I read on steam, the day 1 patch is apparently indeed not incorporated in the released steam version, and should come out this afternoon (german time). That gives me a tiny glimmer of hope…

That is what I am hoping as well ... Will check back tonight

That better be one hell of a patch.

Oh well... Rise of the Triad comes out tomorrow - looks like I might be playing that first.

That better be one hell of a patch.

Oh well… Rise of the Triad comes out tomorrow - looks like I might be playing that first.

Yeah, I pre-ordered that also ... Still hoping for a decent patch

A patch has just been released, let's hope it does fix the wors problems. I won't get to test until a couple of hours.

Someone, maybe Ghan, enlighten me: it seems to me that the only German version in existence is the retail Collector's Edition, while Steam only has the English version. Correct?

I'm asking because there's no way I'm buying the more expensive CE of this mangled game, but I still want to play it in German.

Back
Top Bottom