Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Preview @ PC Gamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
If you tentatively maintain the hope that Deus Ex: Human Revolution will be a worthy prequel, PC Gamer has a preview that will warm your heart. It eschews self-serving hype for some specifics - like the number and type of augmentations, the grid-based inventory, why the health regeneration isn't so bad and so on:
You earn XP for killing, sneaking, hacking, talking, completing objectives – anything you could call progress. A certain amount of XP gets you one Praxis point – basically a level up. You spend Praxis on upgrades for your augmentations: each has its own mini skill tree of possible improvements. Praxis is meant to represent the way Adam Jensen gets more effective with his cybernetic implants as he uses them – the word itself is likely a corruption of the word ‘practice’. Expect every review of the game to contain a box titled ‘Praxis makes perfect’.
Right now, the game shows 21 augmentations divided into lots of interesting categories: neural, visual, defence, physical, movement, offence, and sound. Each augmentation then has a few different ways it can evolve: the Hacking Device, a neural augmentation, initially only allows you to open locked doors once you’ve hacked a security terminal. An early upgrade lets you also control cameras, and two later ones enable you to mess around with turrets and robots respectively. Along the way, there are four other upgrades that make the hacking minigame easier, effectively letting you tackle better-defended terminals. Now if you’ll excuse me for a moment, I need to loosen my collar.
More information.

That will probably be one of my first day-one purchase for quite a while. I love that series. I'm just not sure if I'll go the PC (mouse and keyboard) or Xbox (achievements) way.

Everything I see and read makes me think this is going to be a good game.

But I am still so snake-bit by IW (even this long after) that I'll be forcing myself to wait for opinions of people on here and other forums. Most reviewers gave Invisible War friggin 75-85 review scores so those idiots can't be trusted. :)

I do hope it's as good as it's sounding though.

I'm feeling lazy so I'll just quote Wikipedia

Wikipedia said:
Praxis is the process by which a theory, lesson, or skill is enacted or practiced, embodied and/or realized. "Praxis" may also refer to the act of engaging, applying, exercising, realizing, or practicing ideas. T

Even if you've never seen the word before it's so easy to lookup the etymology.

Invisible War deserved socres around 75 - 85, it wasn't a terrible game. I was a terrible sequel to Dues Ex, but an okay game in its own right.

I don't think it makes any sense to use IW as a reason to be cautious about this game. If anything, it provides a perfect example of how not to make a Dues Ex game. It's not like it was commercially sucessful, so there's just no incentive to make another IW. On the other hand, a sequel to Dues Ex that is faithful enough to get a pass mark from people who remember the first one would be very, very succesful.

Still quite optimistic about this one.

Skills and Augs are part of the same game system. You choose an aug for a spot, then you skill it up through a mini-talent tree. I think. There might be some weapon skills and stuff as well, but I kinda hope not.

Isn't the difference between skills and augs is that skills are fixed, while augs can be swapped in and out as needed, or was it something else?

Deus Ex had completely separate skills and augmentations that nothing whatsoever to do with each other. Skills were more or less the result of training a discipline, while augmentations were basically gadgets, that gave you superhuman abilities when installed in your body. It was a great concept and the separation really made sense. You had 11 skills and 18 possible augmentations. Frankly it surprises me, that the developers are getting rid of skills just like that, and the press sucks it down just like that.
It's not like it was commercially sucessful, so there's just no incentive to make another IW.

In fact IW sold a bit more than the original Deus EX (Which is not saying much, but still).

Last edited:
The reason skills are out, is that the game is not about developing a character from an initiate to a master. It's a very well-trained person who knows exactly how to handle weapons and what not - so it wouldn't make sense to have a skill progression. They found that out in the original Deus Ex - where you could hardly use a gun at first - even though you were a super-agent. That's an immersion-killer.

Augmentations can compensate just fine for that kind of gameplay, if done right.

With 52 augmentations, I don't think we have much to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom